Mal " it's the liberal party not the Conservative party "

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by butchmcdick, Jul 11, 2017.

1. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

Yeah I must admit on second glance the quote doesn't present his stance in context. It simply says if you're going to do it, that would be the easiest way. Doesn't necessarily say he supports it.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Immortal

Indeed it does not

The first four words are the key. Especially the first

3. bazza

bazza Coach

It is a sad state of affairs when people are longing for someone like Kim Beazley to be a great leader

4. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

Never said he'd be a good leader, just that he'd likely be PM in today's political climate.

5. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

To be honest, I think it's laughable that Turnbull reckons Menzies ideological stance was centre right as opposed to conservative.

From an ideological perspective I think there are far too many centre right or right leaning parties registered in this country. If it wasn't for the fact that many of them had indivualised agendas, you probably wouldn't be able to tell where any of them began or ended.

6. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

The centre's where the money's at, the trick is to get there without alienating the base. Labor has failed in that regard and bled to the greens, it's inevitable the same will be said of the conservatives, If everyone plays in the middle third, there's always points to be found on the edges.

7. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

I heard on ABC Radio the other day some political expert suggesting to Richard Glover on the "Drive program" that as a Nation, when it comes to politics, most of the electorate are not very ideologically driven, but rather pragmatically driven.

I'm not sure if I agree with that assessment or not.

As a Nation I believe that the electorate is largely apathetic to ideology, and merely votes on policy. I'm of the opinion that if true, it's a bit of a shame.

8. Mong

Mong Immortal

Not if this forum is anything to go by.. We have folk here who dislike their parties policy and what they stand for, but vote for them anyhow.

I doubt that's uncommon.

Then there are the ones who applaud everything their party does.. Regardless...

bazza and Pantherjim. like this.
  9. sportive cupid

sportive cupid Referee

I would actually say that political parties in Australia survive because they adopt a pragmatic approach rather than ideological one. We experimented with ideology briefly in the 70s but it wasnt popular...sad really I agree because pragmatism suits conservative government much better than progressive government.

Maybe that expert has a point?

10. TheVelourFog

TheVelourFog Bench

Parties do what they can to get elected because they are career politicians

11. millersnose

millersnose Post Whore

Well that isn't always the case
    Hawke and Keating went to war with some of their base on workplace reform and turning the Labor party into a party actively courting business investment
    Howard bought in the gst reforms despite knowing they would lose political capital

12. TheVelourFog

TheVelourFog Bench

that was 20+ years ago

wouldn't fly now

13. sportive cupid

sportive cupid Referee

Why do you think things are different now though .
    They were always elected by the people .So wouldnt it be about the electrate rather than the politicians?

14. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

Hawke and Keating saw that their own base was inefficient and needed reform.

Howard agreed and heroically declared "absolutely, Labors base needs to be reformed". Very brave....

15. myrrh ken

myrrh ken Juniors

And then instead of a simple tax, he then brought in a complex and ineffective subsidy scheme.

Smart fella.