What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly Salary Cap breaches . . .

Gareth67

First Grade
The Sea Eagles have been charged with breaking the Salary Cap over the last 5 years . Their penalty at this stage is open to speculation , however to my way of thinking they should ( as all teams ) lose a number of competition points in season 2018 . Even if it is to remind them , of keeping a closer look at their ' books ' .

Source- FoxSports news .

Gareth67

First Grade
The Sea Eagles have been charged with breaking the Salary Cap over the last 5 years . Their penalty at this stage is open to speculation , however to my way of thinking they should ( as all teams ) lose a number of competition points in season 2018 . Even if it is to remind them , of keeping a closer look at their ' books ' .

Sorry gents , I have double clicked the create thread button .

Old Timer

Coach
Wise choice by Mitchell Pearce.
Wouldn't be much fun turning up to a new club and not playing for points for the entire which if the rumours are true should be the correct outcome.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
If the NRL are serious and true their word, Manly should lose points for next season.
Feel sorry for Trent Barrett but rules are rules.

We lose points each year for having a dud coach, Manly should lose points for having a dud accountant.

Yeap its been going over 5 years.
They sould cop something simular to parra.
But I think they will not be punished as hard.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think it is funny how clubs like Manly and Parra get caught for cheating the so called salary cap, while clubs such as Easts, Melbourne and Brisbane manage to somehow stay under the cap. It appears that there is a salary cap for some and not for others.

Well if you pay players cash in hand and keep no records of it, then it is pretty hard to catch. I hear that some clubs such as Brisbane give players houses.

But Manly and Parra are the only ones cheating the so called salary cap.

Gareth67

First Grade
There have been numerous cheating of the salary cap over the years . Of course the biggest rorts were by the Bullgrubs , the Storm and Eels .

Also there have been instances of lesser breaches , even our own club , where the lower grade players had played more 1st grade matches then the allotted number , thus forcing the club to pay more then they were allowed in the salary cap .

In short , not cheating the cap as the above mentioned clubs had , but merely breaching it , a big difference .

This needs to end once and for all . The NRL needs to , MUST DO , is to run a fine-toothed comb over all clubs , preferably by a recognised outside auditor and the results made public .The fans of the struggling clubs must cringe each time they hear that another of the ' big boy ' clubs are caught out , yet again .

When will it all end ? We deserve a level playing field , get rid of this constant rorting of the system before the game consists of 6-8 clubs .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
I think it is funny how clubs like Manly and Parra get caught for cheating the so called salary cap, while clubs such as Easts, Melbourne and Brisbane manage to somehow stay under the cap. It appears that there is a salary cap for some and not for others.

Well if you pay players cash in hand and keep no records of it, then it is pretty hard to catch. I hear that some clubs such as Brisbane give players houses.

At least Dogs, Eels and Storm did get some punishment not so for Chooks and Broncos though.
I hate the Storm with a passion but that is not a patch on the contempt I hold for Broncos and Roosters.

Frank Facer

First Grade
At least Dogs, Eels and Storm did get some punishment not so for Chooks and Broncos though.
I hate the Storm with a passion but that is not a patch on the contempt I hold for Broncos and Roosters.
And didn't Canterbury, Melbourne and Parra all get caught because an insider spilt beans and Canterbury and Melbourne had 2 sets of books?

I actually should have mentioned Canterbury with Easts, Brisbane and Melbourne not having a salary cap.

Old Timer

Coach
And didn't Canterbury, Melbourne and Parra all get caught because an insider spilt beans and Canterbury and Melbourne had 2 sets of books?

I actually should have mentioned Canterbury with Easts, Brisbane and Melbourne not having a salary cap.
We forgot the Warriors in 2005 as well plus the plethora of minor and not so minor breaches.
I think the auditors are asleep and the only way anyone gets caught is from a disenchanted insider be it player or staff.
Hardly surprising Easts dint get caught for anything weren't Ayliffe and Schubert the auditors for a long time?

National Rugby League salary cap - Wikipedia

dragonssamy61

First Grade
We forgot the Warriors in 2005 as well plus the plethora of minor and not so minor breaches.
I think the auditors are asleep and the only way anyone gets caught is from a disenchanted insider be it player or staff.
Hardly surprising Easts dint get caught for anything weren't Ayliffe and Schubert the auditors for a long time?

National Rugby League salary cap - Wikipedia

You are right Ot
They were a Schubert had a long run

JDHD

Juniors

The Broncos nearly got done in 2015 but Andrew Gee got sent to live on a farm and the NRL are not the police so they couldn't compel him to talk. I remember how disappointed I was the day I heard Gee was getting the Ol' Yeller treatment. So close...so god damn close...

merahputih

Juniors

I understand that it is not unknown for deveiopers who support certain clubs to reserve a unit for a player in a new complex and charge a nominal rental. After a period the title is transferred to the player. I don't know how this sits with salary cap rules but I suspect the Taxation Dept. might be interested (capital gains, etc).

merahputih

Juniors
On the subject of houses for players, my memory stretches back to 1958 when Johnny Raper was poached from Newtown by St George in the days of the residential rule. I think Raper sat out most of the 1958 season as he was still officially contracted to the Bluebags. The Dragons set up Johnny in a house in the St George area and the rest is history.

Latest posts