What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann picked to wear the number 7

slippery5

Juniors
Mann is on a hiding to nothing
Another position,
If he fails in the first game to impress,the club and Mary and some fans will say we told you so I did not work and end of experiment
He succeeds everyone who rates Mann will say told you how good he is
The club and Mary will pat themselves on the back
Some fans will still bag Mann
Gitano will be top of that list
Do we have another player at this club that can play every position in the backline and be good at each of them
I don't think so
He could easily be hooker as well
I hope he has a blinder and his value increases as I think he is amongst our best players
I am more excited to watch this game now than any other game saints have played this year
Just to see how Mann goes
I remember as a kid I made mum buy me the Changa Langlands record, one of the versus was "if they'd played him hooker, you can bet he'd win the ball".

Not that I think he is another Changa, Just reminiscing.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I reallt hope Mann has a blinder, however, it doesnt take much to change the situation just some white and black tape
McCrone 17 - apply white tape to the 1 and presto you have a 7.
Mann 7 - apply black tape and create a 1 and so presto again you have a 17.

giboz71

First Grade
I rate Mann highly but there are so many intangibles to being a great 7. That's why JT and Cronk are rated so highly as they have such a high footy IQ and just know how to win. It's why we're paying Ben Hunt circa $1m per year.

We'll be better off as he won't have the clangers that McCrone had, but I'm not expecting miracles.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I rate Mann highly but there are so many intangibles to being a great 7. That's why JT and Cronk are rated so highly as they have such a high footy IQ and just know how to win. It's why we're paying Ben Hunt circa $1m per year.

We'll be better off as he won't have the clangers that McCrone had, but I'm not expecting miracles.

As one of Mann's biggest supporters and believers on the forum (perhaps only challenged by Como who has stuck rock solid in support with him from the get go) i completely agree with you. Out of all the positions from 1-7 that i think he is the least suited to, it is the No. 7. Don't get me wrong, the kid has the freak value to come out and kill it in the 7, nothing would surprise me with Kurt, but he is more an instinctive footballer than he is a controlling one, so no way am i expecting a JT or Cronk performance, not even a Pearce or Townsend performance.

The big thing that worries me is the Mary factor. I just have this awful feeling Mary will fill his head with instruction similar to what he gave Benji and we all know what happens when Mary instructs a ball playing, running, instinctive player to forget what he has learnt over the previous 15-20 years and just try and play like Cooper Cronk.

Like you though, i don't believe we will be any worse off than we were with McCrone, particularly if Mann is generally allowed to play his natural game and if Widdop adapts to that and uses it to his advantage. I do fear though, that Mary might find a way to f**k this up by pinning L Plates on Mann and strangle him with instructions.........i'm super excited about the prospect of positive change though.

Como Connection

First Grade
As one of Mann's biggest supporters and believers on the forum (perhaps only challenged by Como who has stuck rock solid in support with him from the get go) i completely agree with you. Out of all the positions from 1-7 that i think he is the least suited to, it is the No. 7. Don't get me wrong, the kid has the freak value to come out and kill it in the 7, nothing would surprise me with Kurt, but he is more an instinctive footballer than he is a controlling one, so no way am i expecting a JT or Cronk performance, not even a Pearce or Townsend performance.

The big thing that worries me is the Mary factor. I just have this awful feeling Mary will fill his head with instruction similar to what he gave Benji and we all know what happens when Mary instructs a ball playing, running, instinctive player to forget what he has learnt over the previous 15-20 years and just try and play like Cooper Cronk.

Like you though, i don't believe we will be any worse off than we were with McCrone, particularly if Mann is generally allowed to play his natural game and if Widdop adapts to that and uses it to his advantage. I do fear though, that Mary might find a way to f**k this up by pinning L Plates on Mann and strangle him with instructions.........i'm super excited about the prospect of positive change though.
At least my friend, the L plates move from the coach to a very good footballer who has been stuffed around since he came to the club.
Full credit to him for accepting this treatment and keep performing!
Shows a lot of character in his make up.
Look at the last try on Sunday, very classy.
Has played every spot in the backline (if he has played right wing) and has not let the team down.
I have Millward's number and will make a call next week if no movement to resign him by then.
FACT
CC

j0nesy

Bench
Disagree. I reckon he will be like Clint Gutherson, capable of filling a few positions, a dangerous runner and a match winner on his day.

I think Mann's more like Kurt Gidley. He has a similar build. He can play in the halves, at fullback and centre. He is also a good utility. Maybe not as good as Kurt yet, but has the potential.

getsmarty

Immortal
Mann re-signs with the Dragons
Thu 29th June, 06:26AM
A A

St George Illawarra have announced that utility Kurt Mann has re-signed with the Dragons for a further two seasons.

Mann will now remain at the Dragons until at least the end of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The 24-year-old is halfway through his second season at the Dragons and was the Dragons' top try scorer in 2016.

“I’m going to be here for a couple more years now and I’m really looking forward to it,” Mann said. “It’s a good opportunity for me, I really enjoy living in Wollongong, we have a great bunch of boys here and I am excited about the future.”

Mann, who recently played his 50th NRL game, indicated that he was pleased to have his future finalised.

“It’s always good to get it out of the way, it is one less thing to worry about,” added Mann. “Now, I can just worry about my form”.

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward said Mann's versatility was a major plus for the Red V, though he envisioned he'd challenge for the vacant fullback spot in 2018.

"What we've really noticed about Kurt is his ability to play numerous positions and he'll have an opportunity to challenge for the fullback role next year as we aren't going externally to replace that position," Millward said.

"We believe with his age that his next two years will be some of his stronger years, not only developing his skill set but physically too. He's an important signing for our squad moving forward."

Mann joins the likes of skipper Gareth Widdop, Tyson Frizell, Euan Aitken, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan, Tim Lafai, Jai Field, Jacob Host, Blake Lawrie, Luciano Leilua and Reece Robson to have extended their stay at the Dragons this season.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/29/mann_re_signs_with_t.html

Uplifting

Juniors
I think Millward is doing a good job. He is sticking to a philosophy that gives developing players at the club a go, while bringing in exceptional talent in key roles - Vaughan then Hunt.

The Dragons were just too reactive previously.

Old Timer

Coach
I was going to say the exact same thing
You know the worst thing that can happen here is Mann at 7 and starts killing it and then Mc Crone comes on for an extended time at 9 and plays like the 7 or offers shit service.
This hopefully won't eventuate but it is not outside the realm of possibility with Mc Fookknuckle in charge.

Latest posts