What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann versus Nighty

Dragon for life

Juniors
Guys after watching last few games it’s quite obvious that Nighty is not quite up to it anymore. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love this loyal bloke who has been so consistent over a long period but I just don’t think he can keep up any longer. Mary should have Mann replace him and put nighty on the bench. Probably seems a waste to have a winger sitting on the bench but you can put him on the wing and then use Mann pretty much anywhere on the park to cover for injuries. Mann needs more game time. He reads the game well, is pretty quick and is a solid defender. We need to use him or we will lose him ( not sure on his contract status). I just think this is a much better option. Mann may take a bit of time to adjust to the wing but feel is a much better option. Thoughts??

TruSaint

Referee
Your post has merit and has been brought up in various threads.

Fact is, it appears its Flo's last season ( not that this should be an excuse ). Whilst he is not the player he was in 2010, he is still reliable, does the hard stuff, and can finish off a try, albeit from close range.

I had Mann in my 13 pre season ahead of both Lafai and Aitken. THat's how much I rate the kid. I am happy to see Aitken going well, and Lafai holding his own, but I agree with you on one aspect in particular. Mann brings a lot to a footy team. Ironically, maybe too much as he is now seen as a winger, centre, half, 5/8th, FB, lock, hooker etc.

He has attributes that will fill all those roles, and sadly, that could be his downfall. A player of his ilk would be sought after, and if he doesnt get game time, of course he will leave. Lets remember we bought him as a FB, and dropped him after 2 games. Thankfully, now we have Dufty filling that role, and doing well.

I am a huge fan, but can see Mann looking elsewhere to fulfil his dream of playing 1st grade regularly and with good minutes.

denis preston

First Grade
Won't happen unless we start losing so I don't want to have to drop him ! I guess it would need a combination of teams targeting him and succeeding big time and a ressie or Mann knocking the door down to replace him.

Gareth67

First Grade
There no doubting that Nightingale has slowed down , but he still knows how to tackle and against the Warriors he is exactly he type of player required to pull down those 2 behemoths of theirs on the wing - he will do for the time being .

Guys after watching last few games it’s quite obvious that Nighty is not quite up to it anymore. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love this loyal bloke who has been so consistent over a long period but I just don’t think he can keep up any longer. Mary should have Mann replace him and put nighty on the bench. Probably seems a waste to have a winger sitting on the bench but you can put him on the wing and then use Mann pretty much anywhere on the park to cover for injuries. Mann needs more game time. He reads the game well, is pretty quick and is a solid defender. We need to use him or we will lose him ( not sure on his contract status). I just think this is a much better option. Mann may take a bit of time to adjust to the wing but feel is a much better option. Thoughts??
I actually think that Nighty would be sensational off the bench.
He has that uncanny ability to make ground especially around the ruck when the forwards are getting tired.
I agree wholeheartedly that Mann should be in the run on side and we know how well he did on the wing when he filled in there.
To be fair to Nightingale, he is unlikely to set any try scoring records with Aitkin on his inside.

slippery5

Juniors
I would say after watching him for the last few years, would be more appropriate, however, I'm quite happy to carry him if we can keep winning & he keeps coming up with the rare Nighty moment.

Bench
Wasn't Mann our top try scorer in 2016. He has had success on the wing. Worth a thought maybe to replace Flo

TruSaint

Referee
I actually think that Nighty would be sensational off the bench.
He has that uncanny ability to make ground especially around the ruck when the forwards are getting tired.
I agree wholeheartedly that Mann should be in the run on side and we know how well he did on the wing when he filled in there.
To be fair to Nightingale, he is unlikely to set any try scoring records with Aitkin on his inside.

Where you you play him off the bench buddy ?

McInnes plays 90 minutes and has a sublime passing game. Flo's passing is at best average.

Flo's value is in his dummy half runs, his experience to finish of a move. Add to that a decade or so of priceless experience.

Both he and Nene are doing a good job of starting our return sets in decent position. Nene moreso at the minute.

For me Flo either starts ( as he will ), or doesnt play, as his value on the bench could be surpassed by some one else.

So far, he is holding his own without setting the world on fire. I hope 2018 see's him leave on a high, and will be remembered as a one club man who played above his weight, a premiership winner, a NZ rep, and so forth. Any other bandaid solutions wont do it for me.

Again i say, as you did Mann should be in the 13, but knowing that wont happen, best we can hope for is Flo finishing off 2018, and Mann being secured for 2019 and beyond as I have a very high opinion of him.

PS agree with your last sentence re the combo with Euen.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Wasn't Mann our top try scorer in 2016. He has had success on the wing. Worth a thought maybe to replace Flo

He was indeed. But he has more to offer than at wing IMHO.
But yes, in a poor year, and with less games played he was our top try scorer.

Where you you play him off the bench buddy ?

McInnes plays 90 minutes and has a sublime passing game. Flo's passing is at best average.

Flo's value is in his dummy half runs, his experience to finish of a move. Add to that a decade or so of priceless experience.

Both he and Nene are doing a good job of starting our return sets in decent position. Nene moreso at the minute.

For me Flo either starts ( as he will ), or doesnt play, as his value on the bench could be surpassed by some one else.

So far, he is holding his own without setting the world on fire. I hope 2018 see's him leave on a high, and will be remembered as a one club man who played above his weight, a premiership winner, a NZ rep, and so forth. Any other bandaid solutions wont do it for me.

Again i say, as you did Mann should be in the 13, but knowing that wont happen, best we can hope for is Flo finishing off 2018, and Mann being secured for 2019 and beyond as I have a very high opinion of him.

PS agree with your last sentence re the combo with Euen.
I am a big Nightingale fan and you are preaching to the converted regarding his abilities.
On the point of where to play him off the bench.
How do we use Mann now?
Given that McInnes is an 80 minute participant - same argument applies to Mann

TruSaint

Referee
I am a big Nightingale fan and you are preaching to the converted regarding his abilities.
On the point of where to play him off the bench.
How do we use Mann now?
Given that McInnes is an 80 minute participant - same argument applies to Mann

With respect, Mann offers more off the bench than Flo does.

As you can tell from my posts Dennis, i rate Mann as a starting 13 , but if we are to have a bench player, then Mann offers more than Flo.

Mann can play in any backline, lock, halves etc... Flo is a legendary winger.

And I don't demean Flo. I love the guy and his loyalty.