What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann Vs Aitken, who deserves the starting centre role?

Who deserves the starting centre role?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Red

First Grade
Why does it need to be either Mann or Aitken...they are both ahead of Lafai and I’m pretty sure Mann could slot in on the left..

kit66

Bench
Why does it need to be either Mann or Aitken...they are both ahead of Lafai and I’m pretty sure Mann could slot in on the left..

What's wrong with Lafai ? I like Lafai, loved his off - loads last year and I'll like them even better this year with Hunt and Dufty hanging around. Lafai was equal second in try assists for Centres in 2017 and is a decent finsher, getting us some good tries. His confidence is building which only makes him more dangerous. Compared to Lafai and Mann, Aitken is a tackle missing, skill free zone.
I had big wraps on Aitken 18 months ago but he's been a real disappointment since then.

RufusRex

Post Whore
What's wrong with Lafai ? I like Lafai, loved his off - loads last year and I'll like them even better this year with Hunt and Dufty hanging around. Lafai was equal second in try assists for Centres in 2017 and is a decent finsher, getting us some good tries. His confidence is building which only makes him more dangerous. Compared to Lafai and Mann, Aitken is a tackle missing, skill free zone.
I had big wraps on Aitken 18 months ago but he's been a real disappointment since then.

because of three things

1. He is not a local junior
2. He makes mistakes
3. He had a poor 1st season due to injury

People made up their minds then

Forget the fact that last year in terms of tries
Aitken:
12 games - 6 tries, 1 assist, 11 tries caused by his mistakes defence ... net negative 4 in 12 games
Lafai
24 games - 7 tries, 11 assists, 13 tries cased by his mistakes in defence ... net positive 5 in 24 games

so immeditately it is obvious that
1. Lafai defends better at centre
2. Lafai is a lot better at setting up players around him
3. Aitken has a higher strike rate at scoring himself .. Mind you those 6 tries came from 3 line breaks ... So a few from kicks there and not so much his own ability to cross the line ball in hand. Lafai had 9 line breaks in his 24 games.

So pretty much everything there points to Lafai being the better centre.

The other thing is the explosion over Aitkens ability to break tackles ... 41 to 75 last season ... So in twice the games lafai made almost twice the tackle breaks meaning he is not that far behind Aitken in that department either.

So really ... what does Aitken have in his game that makes him a superior option to Lafai ..
The only thing that he has is his junior postcode and that is not a basis for selection.

epDragon62

First Grade
because of three things

2. He makes mistakes

Aitken:
12 games - 6 tries, 1 assist, 11 tries caused by his mistakes defence ... net negative 4 in 12 games
Lafai
24 games - 7 tries, 11 assists, 13 tries cased by his mistakes in defence ... net positive 5 in 24 games

3. Aitken has a higher strike rate at scoring himself .. Mind you those 6 tries came from 3 line breaks ... So a few from kicks there and not so much his own ability to cross the line ball in hand. Lafai had 9 line breaks in his 24 games.

The other thing is the explosion over Aitkens ability to break tackles ... 41 to 75 last season ... So in twice the games lafai made almost twice the tackle breaks meaning he is not that far behind Aitken in that department either.

So really ... what does Aitken have in his game that makes him a superior option to Lafai ..
The only thing that he has is his junior postcode and that is not a basis for selection.
:thumbsup_tone1::thumbsup_tone1::thumbsup_tone1:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints have 4 quality centres in Lafai, Mann, Aitken and Lomax. I am happy with any of the 4 as they will do a great job. A position Saints have heaps of depth. As for Wing, They have similar depth.

Saints are in great shape and do not need to dip in the player market for a while if these guys take off. Their biggest hurdle will be keeping them.

Seriously all Saints need is a top line coach. If Mary does not get the best out of these kids this year he should be flicked asap and Maguire should be snapped up ASAP. Please no mention of Hasler. He destroys juniors and that is what Saints are basing their future on.

possm

Coach
Both had off season surgeries but Mann has come back in far superior condition to Aitken and it really showed yesterday.
The point here is Mann is ready, Aitken is probably a good month away from peak fitness.
No room for sentiment and it's not a matter of loyalty. Let form determine who is selected at right centre. Mann is ahead after the first trial game. If Mary thinks Aitken will be much better next game, then give them a half a game each at the CC. But I doubt very much Aitken will do better than Mann.

Moving Macdonald to the left wing and Mann replacing Aitken at right centre, has really plugged up our problematic right edge. Mann should be our right centre.

possm

Coach
Saints have 4 quality centres in Lafai, Mann, Aitken and Lomax. I am happy with any of the 4 as they will do a great job. A position Saints have heaps of depth. As for Wing, They have similar depth.

Saints are in great shape and do not need to dip in the player market for a while if these guys take off. Their biggest hurdle will be keeping them.

Seriously all Saints need is a top line coach. If Mary does not get the best out of these kids this year he should be flicked asap and Maguire should be snapped up ASAP. Please no mention of Hasler. He destroys juniors and that is what Saints are basing their future on.
Why waste another year? Surely, if Hasler is available, pickup the phone and do the deal.

kit66

Bench
because of three things

2. He makes mistakes

Aitken:
Lafai

Nice post, Lafai the better option, logically and statistically.

Yeah, people can back up their arguments with some very unconvincing points.

1. He is not a local junior - totally irrelevant - the same people who cry for player loyalty turn around and say " get rid of Nightingale ".
2. He makes mistakes - High at 29, same as J.Bird and B.Ferguson but gets away 4 times as many off - loads as those guys so it's a price I'm happy to pay. He's not dropping them cold.
3. He had a poor 1st season due to injury - has improved dramatically since and more to come.

Also 3 of Aitken's tries were against a slow and very flimsy Manly defence. I don't think they even laid a finger on him.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Nice post, Lafai the better option, logically and statistically.

Yeah, people can back up their arguments with some very unconvincing points.

1. He is not a local junior - totally irrelevant - the same people who cry for player loyalty turn around and say " get rid of Nightingale ".
2. He makes mistakes - High at 29, same as J.Bird and B.Ferguson but gets away 4 times as many off - loads as those guys so it's a price I'm happy to pay. He's not dropping them cold.
3. He had a poor 1st season due to injury - has improved dramatically since and more to come.

Also 3 of Aitken's tries were against a slow and very flimsy Manly defence. I don't think they even laid a finger on him.
With a little attention from the coaching staff, Lafia could easily reduce his mistakes by making the right choices at the right time. His flick has ended in tries but they have also ended in mistakes that halt momentum. So reducing Lafai's impulse to provide the flick pass would make a lot of sense.

kit66

Bench
With a little attention from the coaching staff, Lafia could easily reduce his mistakes by making the right choices at the right time. His flick has ended in tries but they have also ended in mistakes that halt momentum. So reducing Lafai's impulse to provide the flick pass would make a lot of sense.

I believe this is being addressed, read in an article recently that this was the case. Good idea but I hope they don't reign him in too far.

gitano

Juniors
because of three things

2. He makes mistakes

Aitken:
Lafai

There's two types of league fans.

Those who know the game, and those who read stats.

RufusRex

Post Whore
There's two types of league fans.

Those who know the game, and those who read stats.

LOL .. when faced with overwhelming evidence we see that old chestnut. It is obvious that your interest in Aitken is personal and would sacrifice Dragons results for it.

You present nothing to the argument apart from arrogance in your own opinion being right .. nothing about how they play .. nothing about how Aitken made the right edge defence last year terrible. The easiest example to prove is the eels game where they ran the same play at him time after time for tries yet the moment that Aitken is hooked and Mann comes on the tries from that play vanished.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Worse still, manipulate stats.

Straight Shooter

Euan Aitken stats source ... care of Dragons home page
https://www.dragons.com.au/teams/telstra-premiership/st-george-illawarra-dragons/euan-aitken/

Tim Lafai stats source ... care of Dragons home page
https://www.dragons.com.au/teams/telstra-premiership/st-george-illawarra-dragons/timoteo-lafai/

Defensive mistakes souce ... care of NRL.com
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/19/the-best-and-worst-defensive-centres-in-the-nrl/

its black and white both on paper and on the field.

Latest posts