What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann

TruSaint

Referee
Overseas Dragon said; "Mann ... [to replace Macca] ... 4 forwards on the bench...Simms or Frizzell can ... [play centre]

I reckon most back rowers in the NRL have the capacity to fill in at centre, and Im sure it happened a few times last year, possibly remember Jackson for the dogs out wide abit. Even with Thomo gone, the Dragons could do it also, I believe that try Simms scored when he ran 50 metres after stealing the ball shows he would possess the athleticism and speed to fill in at centre as would Frizzell.

Belta... " exhibit A " .... Beau Scott :)

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Very likely Mary's bench
14 au mau
15 Latimore
16 all good
17 Mann or field
Your likely team
1 Duffy
2 Nightingale
3 lafai
4 Aitken or Mann if he's injured
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 HUNT. Nice to finally have a number 7
8 BIG RED
9 McInnes
10 the Italian stallion
11 frizell
12 Sims
13 De Berlin not a bad team but the bench is a concern a coach with foresight might have luch and host on the bench with no backs McDonald would be playing with the reserve grade coach and Mann takes his place .......

Latimore and Allgood? Please neither would make an NRL team anywhere else.

Lelui and Host, sele and Aitken should be the bench.

possm

Coach
Latimore and Allgood? Please neither would make an NRL team anywhere else.

Lelui and Host, sele and Aitken should be the bench.

I'm tipping a 4 forward bench with Sims being the utility:

Vaughan
McInnes
Graham
Host
Frizell
De Belin

Ah Mau
Sims
Leilua
Sele / Robson

TruSaint

Referee
Yep...Send this off to the coach so that he doesn't accidentally cut & paste last years team.

P.S I reckon this is the team that will be picked. except for maybe Leilua on bench for Latimore or Allgood.

I think that was Overseas Dragons opinion on what Mary will offer, which may be right. I also think having both Latimore and Allgood would be a waste. Didnt just re-sign Luc ? We were going ballistic here a few years back when there was a chance of him leaving. We extended his stay, and I suggest this should be his breakout year and given a chance on the bench. THe only other cert for a bench spot would be LAM, as he is underated and has proven his worth.

Latimore / Allgood are backups in case of injury, suspension or SOO period. No more no less.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I'm tipping a 4 forward bench with Sims being the utility:

Vaughan
McInnes
Graham
Host
Frizell
De Belin

Ah Mau
Sims
Leilua
Sele / Robson
I hope your correct POSSM but suspect Mary will start with SIMMS if he has host on the bench il still be reasonably OK with that leilua I hope we see his name as well but he has no walking frame yet so heres hoping

possm

Coach
I hope your correct POSSM but suspect Mary will start with SIMMS if he has host on the bench il still be reasonably OK with that leilua I hope we see his name as well but he has no walking frame yet so heres hoping
Sims needs to be in the prop rotation. If he is, then that gives host the vacant secondrow spot and Leilua a spot on the bench. It is what Mary does with that 4th bench spot that I worry about.

With Sims on the bench and Mann in the backline - wing or centre - we have the option of moving Sims to centre, Mann to the injured backs position and so on.

TruSaint

Referee
Cannot see Host starting ahead of Sims.
Replace Host with Sims in your starting line up and thats what Mary will go with IMHO.

Bench LAM/ LUC/ HOST/ and ?????

BennyV

Referee
Cannot see Host starting ahead of Sims.
Replace Host with Sims in your starting line up and thats what Mary will go with IMHO.

Bench LAM/ LUC/ HOST/ and ?????
So who plays prop? Ah Mau and? There's 2 edge backrowers on that bench, a prop and a utility (likely Mann). If that's anywhere near the bench that comes out in Round 1 then Mary clearly not learnt a thing and we are in for a world of pain in 2018.

Crush

Coach
Can someone explain to me why Mary has a utility back on the bench? I remember Flanno doing the same thing with Beale when they won the comp. Do many other teams employ this tactic? I presume most other teams have a hooker on their bench. Do the other teams that have 80 minute hookers have a utility on the bench? It just seems stupid to have a guy sitting on the bench for 60+ minutes then come on and make no impact.

watatank

Coach
Can someone explain to me why Mary has a utility back on the bench? I remember Flanno doing the same thing with Beale when they won the comp. Do many other teams employ this tactic? I presume most other teams have a hooker on their bench. Do the other teams that have 80 minute hookers have a utility on the bench? It just seems stupid to have a guy sitting on the bench for 60+ minutes then come on and make no impact.

Because McGregor believes he can get away with a 3 man bench and an emergency player every week. And if someone challenges that he will remind them that it worked for the first 7 rounds or so last year.

giboz71

First Grade

You normally need your hooker and 2nd rowers to play 80 mins to carry a back on the bench. So you have your three bench forwards to spell your 3 middle forwards.

If your 4th bench spot is a back, then ideally, he can slot in the forwards somewhere as well either at hooker or edge forward depending on the flow of the game.

Takes a smart coach to make it work, so usually it doesn’t for us. Plus Friz rarely plays 80 mins.

True_Believer

Juniors

Actually Roosters did it on and off last year. They also often only used 3 bench players (irrepsectived of the positions the utility was there to fill). For example, in round 1 they had Connor Watson on the bench - a 5/8th, fullback and hooker. He saw no game time. Game 2 they had Chris Smith on the bench - a secondrower who saw no game time. Connor Watson again in game 3 got a few minutes but not enough to really make an impact.

I couldn't tell you if any other clubs did it but I did notice early on in the season that Roosters did employ this same tactic.

denis preston

First Grade
I think the powers to be will send back to Mary a side with Latimore & Allgood in it on round 1. They were brought as mentors and backup not to be in front of others. If players in front of them don't perform than by all means include them in the mix but not after one or two games !

Still think ultimately Allgood may surprise..

RufusRex

Post Whore
Denis - one maybe but I doubt both. Latimore would be my guess with Sims starting at left 2nd row.
He played a lot of games last year with the sharks with good result. Not the worse bench prop we have had.

Belta

Juniors
I think the bench should change according to the teams needs. This should also apply to the starting line up as well. No cut and paste please. We have the depth to rotate players.

For the starting line up I'd start with Host and have Simms and Ah Mau as bench replacements to keep the momentum going when, Frizell, Vaughan and Graham are rested. I would have one of either Latimore, Lawrie or Allgood as another prop rotation depending on whose performing the best at training. Kerr could also be in the mix as a Prop rotation. (It' would be great encouragement to give him an early opportunity)

I'd lean towards four forwards on the bench but would be flexible, taking into account individuals durability. Eg, early on our forwards will be fresh (especially pre ,rep games, niggling injuries etc) and three forwards on the bench may work well and allow Field for example to be USED as a impact player. Later on, and to prevent burnout I'd have four forwards, and have Mann as the starting centre/wing (as he could cover fullback and halves if we someone goes down injured) The other factor I'd consider consider before finalising the squad is our opposition. If they have a powerhouse pack I'd definitely match it with four forwards on the bench and use them all. I'd like to see some variation, some little tweaks and experiments eg have Robson on the bench and bring McInnes off for a spell and give Robson a chance to rip in.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Sims needs to be in the prop rotation. If he is, then that gives host the vacant secondrow spot and Leilua a spot on the bench. It is what Mary does with that 4th bench spot that I worry about.

With Sims on the bench and Mann in the backline - wing or centre - we have the option of moving Sims to centre, Mann to the injured backs position and so on.

You've got the right personnel there in the forwards Possm, but I'd start Sims as an edge runner, with Host on the bench. I think Ah Mau will find himself replaced by Kerr or Lawrie sooner rather than later. Robson to replace Sele mid season on the bench.
Mann played centre for Bellamy, so that'll do me - and if he partners Lomax or Lafai then we won't be leaking as many backline tries. Dufty, Field & Lomax need to be in the back 3 mix by mid season, as only those three have the required speed to capitalise on forward dominance and the opportunities Hunt & Widdop (maybe in a fullback or 5/8 rotation with Field at some stage) will undoubtedly create. Those 3 will score far more tries than they'll concede through inexperience.

Nene, Nighty & Aitken to the recycle bin IMO.

Lafai needs consistency, as his defence is OK, he has a step that cost us the top 6 once and his offloads to Field, Mann & Lomax could be sensational. If he's inconsistent yet again, then Garrick, Herbert or Sailor to be given their chance during Mc Can't Keep It Up's post Anzac slump.

Last edited: