What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann

barry

Juniors
Fullback next year.
Easy fix!
Mary has stuffed him up big time!
CC

Sorry to bust everyone's bubble I think Gagai would be a much better fullback then Mann.

Give Newcastle Mann let them give us Gagai.

In terms of halves depth, Mccrone is a competent back up half for 2018 and Field would have also developed enough to back up aswell.

Gagai > Mann

Belta

Juniors
Solid effort, did miss the one on one tackle on Slater. Hope he is re-signed, IMO it's very important to have an utility player oh his ability. Will get better with more game time.

BennyV

Referee
Sorry to bust everyone's bubble I think Gagai would be a much better fullback then Mann.

In terms of halves depth, Mccrone is a competent back up half for 2018 and Field would have also developed enough to back up aswell.

Gagai > Mann
Gagai is not worthwhile at fullback. Tried there at Newcastle and was replaced fairly quickly.

possm

Coach
Dugan replaced by Mann on a two year deal cleans up the recruitment managers mess and gives the Dragons time to see how our juniors, Field, Dufty and Herbert progress. Sadly we won't have a marquee fullback..

willzy91

Juniors
He's a winger who can cover centre as needed. He isn't a 6, nor is he a 7.
Unless you're happy with a crab who plays sideways, has a wayward pass and no kicking game. Carry on in that case.

I hope you aren't referring to Mann...? because from what I saw yesterday I was relatively impressed. His speed committed defenders to come in which in turn created the space out wide for at least 3 tries yesterday...of course hes a step down from Widdop but held his own i thought. Yes is kicking game is obviously not up to the standard we expect, but that is something he can work on over the international break....if i recall Milford had no kicking game when he was moved into the halves...look at him now.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
We only have 20 players signed for next year out of 41 so I would say that the recruitment is well behind schedule and that we should re-sign our remaining valuable players pronto.

mobels

Juniors

Gagai > Mann
Gagai flopped at fullback every chance he got with the Knights. They have Brendan Elliot there over him FFS.

He's not a fullback what so ever, what he is however is a very good strike centre or winger. I'd love to sign him as a centre for us if we do lose Dugan, but I'd much prefer someone else at fullback over him.

Dragons 09

Juniors
He's a winger who can cover centre as needed. He isn't a 6, nor is he a 7.
Unless you're happy with a crab who plays sideways, has a wayward pass and no kicking game. Carry on in that case.

I would agree with one point you make and that is i also don't think Mann is ideally suited to the 7, however, he is such a genuine footballer that given time i believe he could adapt to the position and at the very least be better than the 7 we currently have (who to be honest is going quite well at the moment).

I know i have been blowing the Mann trumpet for a good while now so perhaps i have a vested interest in talking him up, but if all you have seen in him is winger potential who can cover the centre spot if needed, then you clearly have not seen much of him at all. I have mentioned on numerous occasions over time, just how influential he was in games i watched him play in the QLD Cup, he was a standout, ripped the opposition to pieces and that was mostly playing fullback and a couple of runs at 5/8. I'm not suggesting he will turn into a Widdop, Foran or Maloney over night, but if a club picks him up and is prepared to develop him as a 5/8 or ball playing fullback, they will be rewarded for many years to come, i have absolutely no doubt of that.......and i really hope it us us that invests the time in him.

I really don't know whether you have formed your opinion (re 5/8) on just that one game yesterday or whether you watched him play in the QLD Cup and see it differently to me or however you might have come to your conclusion, but i guess we can drop back in here in 4 or 5 weeks time (when Widdop comes back) and have another chat on the issue and see if either of us has mellowed our opposing opinions........i'm quietly confident i will still be of the same opinion and that Mann will have surprised you and a few others who aren't yet convinced.

Last edited:

monsterkev

Juniors
I would agree with one point you make and that is i also don't think Mann is ideally suited to the 7, however, he is such a genuine footballer that given time i believe he could adapt to the position and at the very least be better than the 7 we currently have (who to be honest is going quite well at the moment).

I know i have been blowing the Mann trumpet for a good while now so perhaps i vested interest in talking him up, but if all you have seen in him is winger potential who can cover the centre spot if needed, then you clearly have not seen much of him at all. I have mentioned on numerous occasions over time, just how influential he was in games i watched him play in the QLD Cup, he was a standout, ripped the opposition to pieces and that was mostly playing fullback and a couple of runs at 5/8. I'm not suggesting he will turn into a Widdop, Foran or Maloney over night, but if a club picks him up and is prepared to develop him as a 5/8 or ball playing fullback, they will be rewarded for many years to come, i have absolutely no doubt of that.......and i really hope it us us that invests the time in him.

I really don't know whether you have formed your opinion (re 5/8) on just that one game yesterday or whether you watched him play in the QLD Cup and see it differently to me or however you might have come to your conclusion, but i guess we can drop back in here in 4 or 5 weeks time (when Widdop comes back) and have another chat on the issue and see if either of us has mellowed our opposing opinions........i'm quietly confident i will still be of the same opinion and that Mann will have surprised you and a few others who aren't yet convinced.
I agree with you whole heartedly
Mann is going to be the next player on every teams wish list
You watch how many teams will want him
We have him but are doing everything in our power to make him leave

barry

Juniors
Gagai flopped at fullback every chance he got with the Knights. They have Brendan Elliot there over him FFS.

He's not a fullback what so ever, what he is however is a very good strike centre or winger. I'd love to sign him as a centre for us if we do lose Dugan, but I'd much prefer someone else at fullback over him.
Hahahahahhaha

Yout talking about the worst team in the comp

Please when the knights had a half decent squad and Gagai was filling in for Boyd when he was injured he went great guns at fullback.

In a good team he will excel at fullback, especially with our spine.

Throw Mann at fullback in that rubbish knights team or anyone else in the comp for that matter and see how good they go.

mobels

Juniors
Hahahahahhaha

Yout talking about the worst team in the comp

Please when the knights had a half decent squad and Gagai was filling in for Boyd when he was injured he went great guns at fullback.

In a good team he will excel at fullback, especially with our spine.

Throw Mann at fullback in that rubbish knights team or anyone else in the comp for that matter and see how good they go.
Your laughing over Gagai not looking good at fullback for the Knights, yet Brendan Elliot of all people has looked 1000x better than Gagai when he was at fullback.

Good one.

He's not a fullback what so ever.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Gagai is not worthwhile at fullback. Tried there at Newcastle and was replaced fairly quickly.
There is a article floating around that backs your point up . Browny and Gagai both agreed that he wasn't a fullback and his position was right centre . That's the reason you are not seeing him played there anymore .

possm

Coach
I agree with you whole heartedly
Mann is going to be the next player on every teams wish list
You watch how many teams will want him
We have him but are doing everything in our power to make him leave
And this is where we are going wrong. Our club wants to sign players on the cheap so the salary cap can be balanced but wait until players worth becomes apparent to other clubs. Our club should be well aware of Mann's talents; the coach and recruitment manager see him at training, sitting on the bench and occasionally on the field. I think the main problem is that decisions have been made and there is no room under our cap for Mann and Milne unless Dugan moves on.

dwight12

Juniors
Back on Mann, I thought that his game on Sunday wasn't too bad overall. His defence (minus the slater try) was quite solid and he got quick service to the players out wide. My only concern was when there was nothing really on he would revert to playing very laterally, which is similar to what Benji and Widdop were both very guilty of last year. He looked much better when he was playing direct.

possm

Coach
Back on Mann, I thought that his game on Sunday wasn't too bad overall. His defence (minus the slater try) was quite solid and he got quick service to the players out wide. My only concern was when there was nothing really on he would revert to playing very laterally, which is similar to what Benji and Widdop were both very guilty of last year. He looked much better when he was playing direct.
Yep, I agree. Now it is up to the coaching staff to help him with this. Maybe just by saying don't crab across the field, if there is nothing on run straight and try to put a forward through the line.

Latest posts