What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manu Ma'u Wins 2016 Ken Thornett Medal

Manu has won the 2016 Ken Thornett players player award voted over 26 rounds by the players, big congratulations to Manu, a very deserved winner.

Jack Gibson Coaches award - IDG
Mick Cronin clubman award - Brad Arthur
Eric Grothe NRL Rookie Award - Bevan French
Ray Price Community award - Tim Mannah
Blue and Gold Army award - Clinton Gutherson
Ken Thornett Medal - Manu Ma'u

Last edited:

Forty20

First Grade
BA cited his huge effort at both training and in games. Spoke to how driven he is, his nature as a winner and how he lifts the squad to be better week in and out. As fans we might get frustrated with his service from dummy half but he is pretty clearly doing something right on and off the field for us, hence why BA singled him out for the award he solely selects.

BA cited his huge effort at both training and in games. Spoke to how driven he is, his nature as a winner and how he lifts the squad to be better week in and out. As fans we might get frustrated with his service from dummy half but he is pretty clearly doing something right on and off the field for us, hence why BA singled him out for the award he solely selects.
Thanks mate. That's actually reassuring to know. I will try to keep it in mind when I'm tempted to curse him in future.

phantom eel

First Grade
Congrats to Manu Ma'u - well deserved. Interesting choice of Isaac De Gois for the Coaches award... he has his share of critics on here!

Brad Arthur was a no brainer for the clubman award, absolutely held us together. I think Bevan French was our only rookie, but more than deserving of the award compared to previous winners.

Forty20

First Grade
Thanks mate. That's actually reassuring to know. I will try to keep it in mind when I'm tempted to curse him in future.

No worries mate. God knows I curse every time a player makes a silly mistake and Isaac has made a few in his time at Parra but it is worth every now and then paying mind to the value that BA sees in his these blokes away from the public eye. I won't argue that there are a stack of better rakes in the NRL from a pure talent point but IDG/Pritchard can get a job done for BA and what more, they allow for some considerable luxury spending elsewhere under the salary cap - of which I think we will reap the dividends of sooner rather than later.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
When you watch him repeatedly come out of the line and jar the opposition monster out of stride you can't help but think he has the biggest balls in the team. He's probably the toughest bloke in the NRL.

As for his dummy half work, we do most of our stuff two or three passes wide anyway, even early in the count.

Forty20

First Grade
When you watch him repeatedly come out of the line and jar the opposition monster out of stride you can't help but think he has the biggest balls in the team. He's probably the toughest bloke in the NRL.

As for his dummy half work, we do most of our stuff two or three passes wide anyway, even early in the count.

Case in point. It not only takes huge balls to hurl yourself at the genetic freaks stomping around in the NRL but the very act of consistently leading a team in line speed is a hugely demanding task. It is a beep test on crack and De Gois never falters in that regard.

There is a degree of moneyball-philosophy in someone like De Gois. He has obvious weaknesses in his game when it comes to offence (although his running game doesn't get the respect it sometimes deserves) but he has very defined strengths in defence - even among all hookers in the NRL. The opportunity cost between those two factors versus his cap hit mean that he has plenty of value to BA.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think with a couple more offloaders coming into the team he will get more opportunities to run the ball next year, though I'd say De Gois' main job in these instances will be to catch-pass to guys like Wicks and Terepo.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But well done to all the winners, I'm no fan of IDG but I can't fault his effort of his ticker. He's a tough little merkin, if he has the skill and size of Tony Williams he'd be the best player in the comp.

Latest posts