What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manu Vatuvei

Iafeta

Referee
Ladies and Gents - in the past 5-10 years, has there been a more potent winger come through the Warriors than Manu Vatuvei? He's a powerhouse.

However, something seriously needs to be done with his handling. Particularly on the ground.

I don't know what it is, either poor technique or no confidence, but he's heart attack material at the moment. Conversely, I watched Paddy Ah Van pick up low skimmers one hand like he was shelling peas. No problems.

So the question I put to you is this - in my opinion for Manu Vatuvei to achieve his full potential he needs to improve his handling on the deck, with that in mind, how do you go about it?

I don't know if a week or so in the off season with a bloke like Bryan Young catching cricket balls in the slips practice method wouldn't be too bad a thing. From what I see of Manu, he seems to fall into the classic lift the head too soon technique which plagues many junior sportsmen. From my recollections, Youngy was a real pro at doing the complete opposite. He'd watch it so closely into his hands, and then it'd be elementary that he'd pocket it. Literally at times in his customary celebration. Could a technique like this from another sport, and a non related one at that, cricket, be effective in fine tuning Manu's handling errors?

MarkW

Juniors
It seems like a confidence problem for Manu. One week he can do no wrong and catch everything, the next he can't catch a proverbial cold.
Practise makes perfect I guess - and maybe there is some kind of visualisation technique that could help him .. I don't know - Become the ball, Manu!

On a side note... he really needs to learn the basic rule of 'play to the whistle'. It looked for all money that when he tried to field that ball in-goal with no-one around him that it came off his boot... maybe it did brush a finger but hell, he just plain gave up - he might just as well have pulled out a little white flag and started waving it for the ref.

Iafeta

Referee
If it's flexibility, perhaps another cross training technique could be employed - Tae Kwan Do. I tell you what, just from their warm ups alone you'll learn to stretch in places and ways you never thought possible.

Perhaps he's got to think of two things in that situation if that's the case, watch the ball, and bend the knees?

Mad Kiwi, perhaps a centre, but by jingo, once he gets a bit of a head of steam up out wide I'd rather him than anyone else on the wing to be perfectly honest. He's got brute strength and it's an asset out on the wing for both cross field kicks and finishing broken field play.

MKEB...

Staff member
Theres is no good reason why he cant take the cross field attacking kicks. Most centres do go for them.

Wouldn't it begood to see Manu on gasnier.

Iafeta

Referee
I think he's a far better winger still.

Mannering's our number one left hand edge centre and doing a darn fine job of it. I'd feel more comfortable with him than Manu marking Gasnier.

Scott

Bench
I'm just going to be patient. Blokes like Sean Hoppe and Wendell Sailor were similar (nowhere near as bad mind you) at this stage in their careers.

He'll come good.

ozbash

Referee
Scott said:
Tab has never had anything to do with the Breakers :p

when did i say he did scotty ?

he should, might turn them into a respectable team.

geoff green might be able to help manu....

K1w1 Lurvin

Juniors
Looks to me as if hes trying to hard... he should just go back to the basics and dive on the ball... or go back to bartercard...

Iafeta

Referee
Yoga may have some merit.

Do the Warriors or NRL clubs spend a lot of time using other code techniques? I know NRL clubs definitely use wrestling coaches, but I'm just wondering whether martial arts coaching through the off season, even just on the warm up strategies which are so damn intense and demand your body to be extremely flexible.

I think Manu's issues are definitely fixable ones, with a bit of creativity. Have any of you coached footy, and if so, do you use non traditional methods?

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Iafeta said:
Yoga may have some merit.

Do the Warriors or NRL clubs spend a lot of time using other code techniques? I know NRL clubs definitely use wrestling coaches, but I'm just wondering whether martial arts coaching through the off season, even just on the warm up strategies which are so damn intense and demand your body to be extremely flexible.

I think Manu's issues are definitely fixable ones, with a bit of creativity. Have any of you coached footy, and if so, do you use non traditional methods?

What? So if Manu drops the ball, he can do a Chuck Norris round house kick on the closest player or official???