Mark Coyne

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by possm, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Willow

Willow Administrator

Yes... the top eight. That pinnacle of achievement.

Sadly, there are those in the club who think that finishing eighth is a successful season. I recall Mary giving himself a pat on the back after reaching that lofty height in 2015.

2. Willow

Willow Administrator

Regarding the article, I can't see any quote where Coyne says that McGregor should be re-signed immediately. On the contrary, he insists that the timing of this is up to others in the club, and Doust has said quite recently that they are in no hurry to re-sign the coach..

β€œIt is a decision for the Dragons board and there is no set time frame,” Doust told AAP.Link

3. possm

possm First Grade

"It will be a decision the club need to make. I don't get involved in that side of things, I don't get engaged in making any recommendations about Mary. But you'd have to say there's not much more he can do than what he's done at the moment."

4. possm

possm First Grade

But you'd have to say there's not much more he can do than what he's done at the moment."

If a staff manager put the above remark on an appraisal report, promotion report or extension of employment, I would take it as a positive recommendation.

5. The calm one

The calm one Juniors

Hence lies a problem. How do you retain and attract quality to your club when no one knows who will be the mentor

possm likes this.
  6. st.phil

st.phil Juniors

Whinge whinge lil possm, top of the ladder and the place is humming, smile ffs

7. possm

possm First Grade

I can imagine a 2010 result with a top line coach. I mean 'run up the middle, play what's in front of you, off-lead where possible'. Rocket science ...

8. gregstar

gregstar Coach

i agree.

frankly the only way jowls can redeem himself from last year's absolute disgrace is either a grand final qualifier or a grand final.

he is still in denial given he still looks upon last year as "only 3 wins out of the 8" & also that opposition tries from kicks are a tribute to our defence and as such are simply bad luck & don't really count.

gte fcekdu

Zucchini likes this.
  9. denis preston

denis preston Bench

After 2 years of inept performance and now some success ? Would you as a employer wait to see how this reversal of performance lasted and wasn't a short term arbitration ?

10. Saints Forever

Saints Forever Juniors

We can afford to wait till the end of the season.

Wests Wollongong are not in the market for a coach yet.

Como Connection and Life's Good like this.
  11. gregstar

gregstar Coach

round 7 dude.

p*ss in his pocket after round 26.

12. John moz

John moz Juniors

Tony smith would be a 5 year coach .Has had good years in superleague and would be ready to lead us to a grandfinal.

13. possm

possm First Grade

No, what that tells me is that he has had the cattle to do much better and just did not have the talent to do anything about it. Havili for Rein and discard his stupid game plans would have been a good start. Listening to his leadership group would have been another step in the right direction and his poor selection decisions really inhibited team performance - I mean Marketo, Benji and FFL not first grade players these days.

ChargingPatJarvis and Qdf like this.
  14. Zucchini

Zucchini Juniors

I find it really interesting that Coyne refers to the Dragons as "them" and "they" - not "us" and "we".

15. possm

possm First Grade

I'm very disappointed in coming to the realization that Coyne is just another old boy with his hand out.

16. possm

possm First Grade

Why? If Mary receives a contract extension before the GF, will he perform better as a coach?

On a different note, I wish Coyne / Johnston / Doust would do something about TPA. Gasnier had one and I'm sure Hunt would have one. So what is the problem?

17. possm

possm First Grade

And even more importantly, when the mentor is Mary.

18. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

Still getting reports from my mate in Brisbane somebody from north of the border is on stand by strong rumour might even be j.d

ChargingPatJarvis likes this.
  19. Old Timer

Old Timer First Grade

Re Mark Coyne
    Simple facts are prior to his arrival for the 2016 end of season review we were travelling shit house and looked like going even worse.
    This year we are leading the comp.
    If it is by anyway shape or means as a result of his input, then he and his team has done a most excellent job and are deserving of high praise as we are at this moment in time a very different and vastly improved playing group.
    I am sure that Mary didn't get to this point of his own accord so who other than Coyne could have wielded such influence and achieved such monumental change certainly not Doust and Millward.

20. Life's Good

Life's Good First Grade

This is a very good post. Somebody has poked the bear enough that we are light years ahead of 2016. Arguments can be made, for and against, as to who is leading that but the fact remains it is working.

The calm one and dragonssamy61 like this.