What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Martial Arts

aqua_duck

Coach
Grappling is an awesome workout because it works the entire body and you can go 100% in sparring. After an hour of BJJ I'm usually drenched in sweat, and usually need to have a nap. You work a lot of core strength, flexibility, explosiveness and also works your mind.
If you free roll (BJJ sparring), I guarantee you'll be exhausted after about 90 seconds (that's if you haven't already been submitted)

Snoochies

First Grade
I tried Krav Maga as I have stated to earlier and loved it.

now for the disclaimer * i am not advocating krav maga is going to teach you to be a world champion fighter, if you were to box against a boxer, you will lose, if you try it against an mma fighter, you will lose. By learning krav you are not going to suddenly become a death touch warrior and will be able to take on 5 blokes at once. That happens only in movies.

So back on topic. I was never one who was going to hop into a ring to box or do mma but I love both aspects and a friend put me onto Krav as it was taylored towards self defense in the real world situations. It's a very evolving combat in that it doesn't have a certain style like karate, it just takes the best parts of everything and put's it into a real situation as best it can. Nut shots and eye gouging are very legal if you are trying to defend your own life. It teaches alot of MMA but teaches where it may or may not be beneficial. I agree BJJ is great and is very useful for taking on larger opponents, but rule number 1 in a street fight is never go to the ground, why? You can take 1 opponent to the ground but his 5 mates aren't going to sit around admiring your transitions, they'll more than likely stomp on your head, plus taking a bloke to the ground who has a knife in his hand takes the fight to a totally new dimension. Basically the aim of Krav is to do whatever it takes to get out of a situation safely and not to test your martial art skills. That is left for the ring.

But as I said earlier, if I were to box or do mma, I would lose but if the grub hiding around the corner wants to mug me, hopefully I know enough to give him painful balls and some blindness for awhile.

Collateral

Coach
100% correct

Sorry if I've offended anyone and clearly I'm pretty ignorant with this stuff

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my goal is to get leaner, harder and fitter. Learning how to fight is not a primary goal for me, but obviously a nice benefit.

I'm looking for the style and workout that will best help me achieve this goal, that's why I'm looking for feedback

No offence taken.

Most people dont realise how hard grappling is until they are doing it.

It will also test you just as much mentally as physically. Plus, you can spar and fight without too much worry of getting injured or badly beaten up.

Collateral

Coach
I tried Krav Maga as I have stated to earlier and loved it.

now for the disclaimer * i am not advocating krav maga is going to teach you to be a world champion fighter, if you were to box against a boxer, you will lose, if you try it against an mma fighter, you will lose. By learning krav you are not going to suddenly become a death touch warrior and will be able to take on 5 blokes at once. That happens only in movies.

So back on topic. I was never one who was going to hop into a ring to box or do mma but I love both aspects and a friend put me onto Krav as it was taylored towards self defense in the real world situations. It's a very evolving combat in that it doesn't have a certain style like karate, it just takes the best parts of everything and put's it into a real situation as best it can. Nut shots and eye gouging are very legal if you are trying to defend your own life. It teaches alot of MMA but teaches where it may or may not be beneficial. I agree BJJ is great and is very useful for taking on larger opponents, but rule number 1 in a street fight is never go to the ground, why? You can take 1 opponent to the ground but his 5 mates aren't going to sit around admiring your transitions, they'll more than likely stomp on your head, plus taking a bloke to the ground who has a knife in his hand takes the fight to a totally new dimension. Basically the aim of Krav is to do whatever it takes to get out of a situation safely and not to test your martial art skills. That is left for the ring.

But as I said earlier, if I were to box or do mma, I would lose but if the grub hiding around the corner wants to mug me, hopefully I know enough to give him painful balls and some blindness for awhile.

Ive tried Krav Maga and love it. Would like to train in it more if I had the time & money.

The only problem with it is the lack of sparring (for obvious reasons) and the training, whilst very fun and interesting, isnt particularly good for training you in an actual combat situation where someone is trying to get the better of you. Pads dont hit back and when they do it usually isnt very hard.

Pugzley

I've picked up a pair of arnis sticks in the Phillipines and was wondering if anyone knew of an escrima/arnis school in Western Sydney?

Latest posts