What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary labels referees performance "incompetent and embarrassing"

Maxwell

Juniors
well at least for once he has came out and said something sensible , He should have included the Bunker in that statement. They are bad and getting worse as the season goes on. I watched 2 games today Manly v Storm and the refs are jumping at their shadows, since the slater incident last weekend. A dangerous tackle on Blake green putting onto his shoulders at the back of his neck by a storm forward , just a penalty, high tackle on Cronk by Fanua-Blake penalty on report. So the high shot is worse than the spear tackle virtualy. And Cronk didn't go off for HIA test, Dragons got fined over not taking Dugan off , will be interesting to see if any out come over Cronk's decision, I bet not. Dragons will probably get a letter or Archer will come out and say we got it wrong. The league should piss him off and put an x player in charge off them, because a bad ref will not make a good coach especially when he was a NRL puppet.

possm

Coach
well at least for once he has came out and said something sensible , He should have included the Bunker in that statement. They are bad and getting worse as the season goes on. I watched 2 games today Manly v Storm and the refs are jumping at their shadows, since the slater incident last weekend. A dangerous tackle on Blake green putting onto his shoulders at the back of his neck by a storm forward , just a penalty, high tackle on Cronk by Fanua-Blake penalty on report. So the high shot is worse than the spear tackle virtualy. And Cronk didn't go off for HIA test, Dragons got fined over not taking Dugan off , will be interesting to see if any out come over Cronk's decision, I bet not. Dragons will probably get a letter or Archer will come out and say we got it wrong. The league should piss him off and put an x player in charge off them, because a bad ref will not make a good coach especially when he was a NRL puppet.

I'd prefer that if the ref can't decide on field, he sends the decision to the bunker without an opinion.

I'd like the bunker to have access to a grid overlay of the field so that forward passes and knock-ons could be clearly adjudicated. The rule that when a decision can not be made because of no clear evidence, the benefit of doubt should always go to the attacking side.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I'd prefer that if the ref can't decide on field, he sends the decision to the bunker without an opinion.

I'd like the bunker to have access to a grid overlay of the field so that forward passes and knock-ons could be clearly adjudicated. The rule that when a decision can not be made because of no clear evidence, the benefit of doubt should always go to the attacking side.

Has anyone seen how the rugby does this?

The referee and the TV reviewer (Bunker) talk through what has happened. and they decide together. The on field referee watches the replay on the Big Screen.

The current process were the Bunker and the TV coverage are not aligned does not help.

In the NRL we hand over the decision making to someone in a bunker somewhere. I think the on field offical should be involved and own the decision making - then they get the benefit of the tv review and also been close to the action and what they were able to see. Surely, this gives the best possible chance of getting the right decision!

ALSGI

Bench
I'm glad Mary had a crack at the refereeing albeit a lame crack that was more of a cop out than anything else.

What I would have preferred is that he blew up at the players that f**ked up and I don't mean 'it's not good enough' but "there'll be some changes after todays performances, I wont tollerate it, the team won't tollerate it and the fans won't tollerate it". "If they want to play like reserve graders I'm happy to put them there".

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I'd prefer that if the ref can't decide on field, he sends the decision to the bunker without an opinion.......................................

Exactly, that way, we might get screwed like we did on the weekend.

If it's a fifty fifty call, they are suppose to favour the attacking team.
Nowadays, they look for reasons not to give it, except when there is a blatant drop the ball over the line ....... they give it everytime.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I'm glad Mary had a crack at the refereeing albeit a lame crack that was more of a cop out than anything else.

What I would have preferred is that he blew up at the players that f**ked up and I don't mean 'it's not good enough' but "there'll be some changes after todays performances, I wont tollerate it, the team won't tollerate it and the fans won't tollerate it". "If they want to play like reserve graders I'm happy to put them there".

ALSGI .................... Will you stop sitting on the fence!

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Can anyone help out and explain what the NRL's stated rationale is for forcing the on field ref to make a call either way when sending it to the bunker. I honestly can't think of any negatives to do with allowing the option of sending up a 'not sure' referral and leaving it to the bunker to sort it out. But I can think of a few negatives with the current approach such as guessing. Is there a reason I am not aware of?

RPG437

Juniors
Ridicilous to come out and blast the refs!! Can we blame them for the team coming out half asleep and letting the Knights go 12 up in no time? Or for all the inept errors, shithouse completion rate, schoolboy error etc etc. After watching the way Parra competed and their attitude - the contrast between a well coached side and our mob was never more evident.

Bench
There has been to many games this year that have calls being made by the referees and the bunker that have had an impact on the game. Some teams have lost games on their calls.
The NRL is loosing any credibility with the supporters as their is no accountability.
The NRL can come out and say the referee got it wrong.
The coaches can come on and give the decisions a spray and are fined. Every coach has the right to speak up. All that happens is the coach being fined and that is the of the story.
I would like one of the media outlets to invite Greenberg to come on and dissect each contentious decision.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The refs are shocking and I still cannot get over Kenny Edwards not even getting cited at the time on the field for the dog shot he put on the young Bronco's winger. Not sure what the Bunker was looking at but all I know is Parra should have been down a man for the rest of the game. The guy was on the ground not going nowhere and Edwards lays into him. Referred straight to the judiciary I think has now been done AFTER the game.

Is it just me or is that a touch similar to what the dude did in England and got 1 year ban?

That is worse than punches and shoulder charges.

Then the knob Archer confirms both bad calls against the Saints were good calls. If everyone on the planet can see they were bad calls (even Andrew Johns a Newcastle boy saw it as bad calls) then what hope have the refs got. The guy at the top clearly showed after those comments that he is clueless and has no idea of the rules and he is one telling the refs what to do so what hope have they got? Scary stuff.

Carlton

Juniors

I can understand your frustration with how decisions are made but I don't think a different process will get any different outcome. The system in play should work, the problem is any system will depend upon officials acting impartially, objectively and professionally, enforcing the rules in a consistent manner over time and the same for all teams. This is the real problem.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I still to this cannot believe Saints lost Frizell for touching a ref last year and Ken Edwards gets to play next week for his cheap shot on a player down. Wow

1st & 10

Juniors
The refs are simply conductors, not authoritarians of the game's laws.

They tell players how to play and when. To top it off, players are called by thier first names/nickname.

As a result the refs simply become WWF/WWE refs, part of the spectacle

Watch an old game. The refs called players by thier numbers and didn't tell players they are offside etc, they penalised them.