What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass Effect or Wildlands?

perverse

Referee
Agree with Firey on Mass Effect. Wait for the review scores on that one at the very least.

Horizon seems like the safe bet for PS4 gamers. That game looks incredible for a console game.

Eelectrica

Referee
ME:A seems to be getting some real mixed reviews. The round table discussion on PCGamer was interesting in that some of the guys thought it was great, others weren't as impressed.

John Walker at RPS wasn't impressed but his reviews are hot and cold. His review of Tyranny still leaves me shaking head.
Tyranny was an amazing RPG that did something different.

Parra Pride

Coach
I've played a little over five hours on Mass Effect's multiplayer so far. In that time I've had it crash six times, which naturally means I get no XP for the matches I drop out of and any bonus I had enable is gone to waste. That frustration aside the MP at least is just as fun as it was back on ME3. I'll judge the single player for myself next week when it actually releases.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I downloaded the trial on origin access and pumped about 3 hours into it so far. Animation is mixed, like real mixed. Some of the landscapes look great and poor at other times. Funnily enough, the aliens look awesome, everything else is mediocre. I feel like mass effect 3 looked better or even 2 in parts, minus the high res textures and the lip syncing, head movement was better in those two titles... It's actually quite jarring to watch at times and the dialog is ridiculously cheesy.

Combat feels reasonably tight for a ME title, but I'm prone to motion sickness on some games and the camera angle / FOV feels worse than I ever experienced in any of the other games. The snap to cover is garbage though. The scanner element is already driving me insane, I don't think I would be able to deal with it for 50 hours of gameplay.

Story might get compelling, but at the moment, the opening is nowhere near as good as the other entries. Sound design is top notch though.

Overall it's not as terrible as some videos have shown and I'll probably finish the 10 hour trial, but I think I'll hold out for reviews and a couple of patches before paying for it. It's clearly being released before it's fully baked. It's a shame, because I never though a Mass Effect title wouldn't be a day 1 purchase for me, it's probably my favourite bunch of games ever besides Last of Us.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Hearing a lot of negative things about it now :(
Man I miss the days of demo disks where you could try out a game before buying it. I remember before God of War came out I had no interest in playing it, played a demo off a disk (the opening level) and loved it. Now it's one of my favourite series ever.

Eelectrica

Referee
Apparently the Early Access doesn't have the day one patch which is supposed to fix a lot of the current issues. But yeah it will be interesting to see reviews. Thought about signing up for the Origin Access, but I can wait a week and see what's what.

Firey_Dragon

Coach

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Hearing a lot of negative things about it now :(
Man I miss the days of demo disks where you could try out a game before buying it. I remember before God of War came out I had no interest in playing it, played a demo off a disk (the opening level) and loved it. Now it's one of my favourite series ever.
If you have xbox or pc you can get EA access or Origin access respectively... A month will cost you $5 (maybe more in Australia?). Then you can play any new release EA game for 10 hours before buying and get access to a huge back catalog of EA games while your subscription is active.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Reviews for ME are hitting the internet. It's....not good. At least not by Mass Effect standards.

I guess that helps my wallet situation. Still, typical EA to rush out and ruin one of their best franchises.

Eelectrica

Referee
It's a shame. I thought about cancelling my GMG pre-order, but I need to see this for myself. Also it didn't cost me near as much as it would have had I bought it direct from Origin.

Reviewers do say the combat is fun. A few Cheat Engine scripts should get around some of the more tedious things such as planet scanning - why bring that back why?

Parra Pride

Coach
Reviews for ME are hitting the internet. It's....not good. At least not by Mass Effect standards.

I guess that helps my wallet situation. Still, typical EA to rush out and ruin one of their best franchises.

It's sitting at a 75 on Metacritic with most of it's reviews at the moment being positive. How is that not good?

Firey_Dragon

Coach
It's sitting at a 75 on Metacritic with most of it's reviews at the moment being positive. How is that not good?
Most reviews are saying it's inconsistent, loaded with technical issues on console and nowhere near as good as the original trilogy.

That isn't 'good'.

Gamespot gave it a 6. IGN 7.7 (they'll give anything 8 if it is above mediocre).

Most respectable websites haven't even dropped their reviews yet. I'll be amazed if Giant Bomb give it more than 6.5 after watching their stream of it the other day.

perverse

Referee
You've got a lot of free time in your life if you've got time for games that score 75 and aren't a part of an ongoing narrative that you're invested in. I'm not sure how tightly linked with the original ME trilogy this is, but yeah... there's a lot of games out there that are very good.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Ill have to read what the issues are with the game. There arent a lot of "space opera" games on the market so i can tolerate a bit of crappiness

Like one of my favourite games is alpha protocol and that got ripped into by critics

Parra Pride

Coach
You've got a lot of free time in your life if you've got time for games that score 75 and aren't a part of an ongoing narrative that you're invested in. I'm not sure how tightly linked with the original ME trilogy this is, but yeah... there's a lot of games out there that are very good.

I love Mass Effect so was always going to play this regardless of what any critic wants to say. That doesn't change the fact that a 75 isn't a bad score. So what if it's not some critically acclaimed masterpiece that fanboys are going to joke themselves off too until something else comes around and tops it? Doesn't mean it won't be an enjoyable experience.

perverse

Referee
I love Mass Effect so was always going to play this regardless of what any critic wants to say. That doesn't change the fact that a 75 isn't a bad score. So what if it's not some critically acclaimed masterpiece that fanboys are going to joke themselves off too until something else comes around and tops it? Doesn't mean it won't be an enjoyable experience.
I can't think of any games that I'd recommend to others than score that low, but each to their own. That's acquired taste/die hard fan territory for mine. You could fill from now to eternity playing games that don't get that low a score, and still never play them all. It's not so much that the score is "bad", it's just that there are so many better games that it feels like I'm wasting my time.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I can't think of any games that I'd recommend to others than score that low, but each to their own. That's acquired taste/die hard fan territory for mine. You could fill from now to eternity playing games that don't get that low a score, and still never play them all. It's not so much that the score is "bad", it's just that there are so many better games that it feels like I'm wasting my time.

Yeah this, and if I'm even spending 50 US dollars on a game, which is the best we can hope for as Aussies from the likes of GMG, I want to know for certain it's gonna be worth it.