What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Massive hypothetical

Goddo

Bench
What if the Wests Tigers merger fell over? I know that is very unlikely, but what if? Balmain retain the licence and Wests are lost.

Or would they be?

A partnership with the WA Reds and Western Suburbs Magpies would have several major benefits - a ready made NSW Cup side for WA to send players to, a very strong pre-existing brand in the Magpies. A ready made away fan base in Sydney.

If such a hypothetical happened, would Wests fans and Perth fans embrace it?

docbrown

Coach
Maybe it could've been looked at back post Super League but it would be a mistake for Wests Tigers to disolve. Balmain couldn't exist today stand alone.

I don't know why just don't call the Cup team Balmain Magpies and have them play out of both locations.

Goddo

Bench
Cup team Balmain Magpies and have them play out of both locations.

That makes the most sense.

But what would a club like Perth do for a NSW/QLD cup side? It isn't really feasible to be flying in and out of Perth. Best option is to get an arangement going with an existing cup side like the Storm dol

docbrown

Coach
Perth Reds should link up with a NSW Cup or QRL side that isn't represented in the NRL proper (so Newtown Jets etc) but also maintain links with the WARL comp.

I still think there needs to be a reorganisation of those state comps.

I wouldn't embrace it, I'd spit on it. f**k being involved in another merger of any sort, maybe apart from the two NSW cup teams joining.

I hate to say it but I agree with the Western Whinger, a link with a non-NRL NSW cup side would be their best bet.

As for the Magpies, I love 'em but they don't exist in the top grade any more. I wouldn't follow a side in the NRL if the merger died but I'd whack Balmain above Melbourne on the hate list if what's outlined in the OP happened.

I'd be happy if Balmain were the team to get dropped if the merger failed though, real happy. lol

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Yeah definately a very unlikely scenario......Perth footy fans will be rewarded with their own side in the next few years....Time difference with the eastern states makes it a very attractive proposition for both the Nrl and Foxtel etc. Wouldn't be at all surprised if there is some sort of clause written into the new t.v deal to the effect that W.A team to be included by say 2015 if not before. Gives them the option of another double or triple header live every second week. Perth Reds showed that there would be plenty of support in the west....Not everyone is an afl fan yet 2 Afl teams work well over there.

Beowulf

Juniors
Yeah definately a very unlikely scenario......Perth footy fans will be rewarded with their own side in the next few years....Time difference with the eastern states makes it a very attractive proposition for both the Nrl and Foxtel etc. Wouldn't be at all surprised if there is some sort of clause written into the new t.v deal to the effect that W.A team to be included by say 2015 if not before. Gives them the option of another double or triple header live every second week. Perth Reds showed that there would be plenty of support in the west....Not everyone is an afl fan yet 2 Afl teams work well over there.

I'm a fan of WA to join the Bears, but I think the NRL are now moving towards a Sunday nt live 7.30pm timeslot iso a doubleheader Fri nt, based on massive NFL audience numbers for the same. This would suit the Bears most given their community demographic and also the fact Sydney away teams would be able to play Sun nt and back up next week no probs.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I'm a fan of WA to join the Bears, but I think the NRL are now moving towards a Sunday nt live 7.30pm timeslot iso a doubleheader Fri nt, based on massive NFL audience numbers for the same. This would suit the Bears most given their community demographic and also the fact Sydney away teams would be able to play Sun nt and back up next week no probs.
I prefer the idea of a home grown team rather than a re-location.(not just saying that as a sharks fan). I also like the idea of ressurecting say the Bears and or Jets to give these new teams a little bit of history/rugby league culture. Also think the comp is more likely to go to 18 teams....more t.v product more $$$$. Other two obvious options are Central Coast and 2nd Brissy team. I favour the West and Central coast personally.

Beowulf

Juniors
As for the Magpies, I love 'em but they don't exist in the top grade any more. I wouldn't follow a side in the NRL if the merger died but I'd whack Balmain above Melbourne on the hate list if what's outlined in the OP happened.

I'd be happy if Balmain were the team to get dropped if the merger failed though, real happy. lol

Pretty much the sentiments of the 40K+ pissed off with the Bears being punted after the non-sensical Northern Eagles JV. Having been involved in 2 JV's, 1 in sport and 1 business, my experience is they are disasters in waiting unless there is 100% mutual trust - rare. One side will attempt to assume control and subdugate the other.

The best thing the Bears did was to identify the takeover trend early on and pull out to retain control of their own destiny. I've met a Maggies fan and his son a few times at NSW Cup and RL TV audiences, and I feel for them today - that boy will grow up without a team of any sort to follow - even NSW Cup is now history. Another sad day for RL.

The treatment of Foundation Clubs by RL is the complete opposite to that of AFL. They respect and embrace history and tradition to create a code subculture that has permeated society in the southern States. Tossing away 100+year histories with multi-generational supporters who will only ever support 1 team is ignorant folly. Where will Magpies fans go now? Support the Jets or Bears or more likely, lose interest in League and watch AFL. Bring back the Bears or go to hell, NRL!

Beowulf

Juniors
I prefer the idea of a home grown team rather than a re-location.(not just saying that as a sharks fan). I also like the idea of ressurecting say the Bears and or Jets to give these new teams a little bit of history/rugby league culture. Also think the comp is more likely to go to 18 teams....more t.v product more $$$$. Other two obvious options are Central Coast and 2nd Brissy team. I favour the West and Central coast personally.

I meant CC Bears and WA as my preferred expansion teams! Can't speak for Newtown, but the Bears wouldn't become a NSW affiliate for an external expansion bidder whilst ever they have top flight ambitions. They have a pretty good relationship with Souths at present.

Von

Juniors
What if the Wests Tigers merger fell over? I know that is very unlikely, but what if? Balmain retain the licence and Wests are lost.

Or would they be?

A partnership with the WA Reds and Western Suburbs Magpies would have several major benefits - a ready made NSW Cup side for WA to send players to, a very strong pre-existing brand in the Magpies. A ready made away fan base in Sydney.

If such a hypothetical happened, would Wests fans and Perth fans embrace it?

If it ever happened, they could be called the Western Magpies.

The Magpies/Perth talk is a bit of rubbish. I don't think fans in Campbelltown would have a bar of it even if it did work at the Perth end.

Balmain 'won' the merger which is a terrible shame given the population growth and grassroots strength of league in the macarthur. FFS GWS is moving in ... Tigs need to give campbelltown 6 games a year

Goddo

Bench
The Magpies/Perth talk is a bit of rubbish. I don't think fans in Campbelltown would have a bar of it even if it did work at the Perth end.

Balmain 'won' the merger which is a terrible shame given the population growth and grassroots strength of league in the macarthur. FFS GWS is moving in ... Tigs need to give campbelltown 6 games a year
I know its rubbish but an interesting discussion none the less.

I agree that Wests Tigers is a lop sided club that could be doing things better - they need to intergrate the two clubs more.

Call the NSW cup side the Balmain-Wests Magpies or some such. play 5 games at Leichhardt and 5 at Campbelltown.

Remaining 2 games at ANZ rather than SFS (closer to both fan bases). Get a reciprical membership agreement going at ANZ with Canterbury, Souths and/or Parramatta.

Stop creating horendous jerseys. Look to simple Balmain and Wests inspired numbers.

Whats needed is relatively simple, yet they can't seem to accomodate it.

My club is a joint venture and has managed to accomdate elements of both clubs fairly seamlessly.

docbrown

Coach
I know its rubbish but an interesting discussion none the less.

I agree that Wests Tigers is a lop sided club that could be doing things better - they need to intergrate the two clubs more.

Call the NSW cup side the Balmain-Wests Magpies or some such. play 5 games at Leichhardt and 5 at Campbelltown.

Remaining 2 games at ANZ rather than SFS (closer to both fan bases). Get a reciprical membership agreement going at ANZ with Canterbury, Souths and/or Parramatta.

Stop creating horendous jerseys. Look to simple Balmain and Wests inspired numbers.

Whats needed is relatively simple, yet they can't seem to accomodate it.

My club is a joint venture and has managed to accomdate elements of both clubs fairly seamlessly.

All common sense stuff.

I'd only say that they should play 1 game at ANZ - if I had my way, it would be one of the games in the Western Sydney Cup.

But they should keep an SCG match against Souths or Roosters. It's a good money raising match.

mattyf

Juniors
stgeorge/illawarra merger favours stgeorge and has had longer time to sort out the mess. only seem to really work over past few seasons.

adamkungl

Immortal
It makes money and is an marketable event.

Somehow, but for the life of me I can't see why someone would want to watch football there when there is a far better venue next door ffs.

One stadium that should be left firmly in the history books.