What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Massive hypothetical

Spitty

Juniors
If the merger did fall apart just about the worst thing the NRL or IC could do it give the licence to Balmain.

I'd be interested to know the thinking behind leaving the fastest growing area in Sydney without a team, whilst giving an already over crowded inner city another team.

Hypothetically you'd think if Western Suburbs can't manage the licence, they put out a tender for an expansion team to represent that area. I mean represent it 100%, not the current arrangement where the Wests Tigers play more away games in the West than home games.

firechild

First Grade
Realistically, if the merger was going to fall apart it would make more sense to give the license to Wests. It has a larger population in a more important region for rugby league. They are only going to struggle now as the Ashfield and Campbelltown leagues clubs pull their funding (redirecting it to Wests Tigers) whereas if Wests were given the license, this funding would continue. The NRL would be shotting themselves in the foot to allow Balmain to take control of the license and Wests to die.

It's not surprising that only 1 of 3 JVs can be considered a success after less than 15 years.

Loudstrat

Coach
Why? Both have won premierships and are very active in the player market. Wests in recent years have bought 2 test forwards arguably the best backrower in the world, a dual international - and in Reddy a talented centre with GF experience. Not to mention hanging onto the best of their juniors after they have grown into top shelf players. Balmain or Wests could never do that.

adamkungl

Immortal
Can hardly say the Wests Tigers hasn't been a success. They are quite clearly a success, they consistently have the second highest crowd average in Sydney and won a comp a few years ago, with high finishes recently. Their off-field issues are miniscule compared to the likes of Cronulla and Manly in recent times.

Making a couple of *possible* mistakes in the delicate balancing act of 2 clubs' heritage, junior development, finances and first grade success is NOT a failure of a club. Campbeltown gets 1-2 more games and the whole issue disappears ffs.

Quidgybo

Bench
If the merger did fall apart just about the worst thing the NRL or IC could do it give the licence to Balmain.

I'd be interested to know the thinking behind leaving the fastest growing area in Sydney without a team, whilst giving an already over crowded inner city another team.

Hypothetically you'd think if Western Suburbs can't manage the licence, they put out a tender for an expansion team to represent that area. I mean represent it 100%, not the current arrangement where the Wests Tigers play more away games in the West than home games.
I don't see why it would need to change anything. The Wests Tigers are their own entity that two fans bases have had over a decade to adjust to and learn to love. If one of the owners pulls out there's no reason why the club would change its name, alter the split of games between venues, or move its operational base. For the average man in the street, who really cares what the ownership arrangements are behind the scenes? The fans have the same club they had the previous year, it's business as usual.

Leigh.

juro

Bench
My club is a joint venture and has managed to accomdate elements of both clubs fairly seamlessly.
Hahaha... that's pretty funny...

The jersey design is purely St George. The colours are purely St George. The name is 90% St George. Most of the time, commentators don't bother to mention the word 'Illawarra'. It is either 'St George' or 'the Dragons'.

The only thing your club does is give Wollongong half the home games. But then, there are just as many games played at Campbelltown as there are at Leichhardt. The Wests Tigers just have to take a fair chunk of their games to the SFS for financial reasons.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I don't see why it would need to change anything. The Wests Tigers are their own entity that two fans bases have had over a decade to adjust to and learn to love. If one of the owners pulls out there's no reason why the club would change its name, alter the split of games between venues, or move its operational base. For the average man in the street, who really cares what the ownership arrangements are behind the scenes? The fans have the same club they had the previous year, it's business as usual.

Leigh.

Manly did. They got out of Gosford pretty quick. There's no Northern Eagles any more.

And if there is no Balmain in the Wests Tigers, well it's not really the Wests Tigers then is it?

If Wests Tigers were to split and, say the Magpies came back, the one positive is seeing an original 1908 club come back in the NRL with all their traditions, history, and records from 1908-1999 resurrected with it (just like Manly). Of course there would also be a negative in having so many pissed off Tigers fans (just like the Bears).

Last edited:

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
I say set up a plan to build a stadium (SFS west) in liverpool and play all home games there. They are on the verge of out growing both stadiums within the next 10 years anyway.

bobmar28

Bench
I say set up a plan to build a stadium (SFS west) in liverpool and play all home games there. They are on the verge of out growing both stadiums within the next 10 years anyway.

That sounds ok to me. Easy to get to for most people - M5 - M7 - Hume Highway - Liverpool station. The Bulldogs were supposed to build a 40k stadium at Woodward park, that would do.

The IC should look at resurrecting that plan.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
That sounds ok to me. Easy to get to for most people - M5 - M7 - Hume Highway - Liverpool station. The Bulldogs were supposed to build a 40k stadium at Woodward park, that would do.

The IC should look at resurrecting that plan.

If the Oasis development had gone through alot of clubs would be playing out of it today.

RedVee

First Grade
Unless Balmain Leagues can rise again, or some other funding option comes along, I think the Magpies should be the license holder... assuming Wests Ashfield & Campbelltown play together nicely.

A lot of people over the years have called for the maggies to be called the Macarthur Magpies, though as a resident I can't say that I've noticed any real desire - Western Suburbs (Wests) would be fine.

The problem for Wests is that the new generation have grown up as Tiger supporters rather than Magpies.

Quidgybo

Bench
Unless Balmain Leagues can rise again, or some other funding option comes along, I think the Magpies should be the license holder... assuming Wests Ashfield & Campbelltown play together nicely.

A lot of people over the years have called for the maggies to be called the Macarthur Magpies, though as a resident I can't say that I've noticed any real desire - Western Suburbs (Wests) would be fine.

The problem for Wests is that the new generation have grown up as Tiger supporters rather than Magpies.
Which is why regardless of who ends up owning the club they'd be mad to abandon the Wests Tigers identity. Switching to the MacArthur Magpies would be disastrous for the club, disaffecting thousands of fans who have either grown up with the current identity or got over the pain of the merger and learned to love the new club. There's simply no reason to change identity no matter where the license goes, it'd set the club back to square one after a decade of hard work.

Leigh.

docbrown

Coach

That's why the merged clubs must remain.

In 20 years time no one will even mention the words joint venture because it will have been overshadowed by more recent history.

alien

Referee
What if the Wests Tigers merger fell over? I know that is very unlikely, but what if? Balmain retain the licence and Wests are lost.

Or would they be?

A partnership with the WA Reds and Western Suburbs Magpies would have several major benefits - a ready made NSW Cup side for WA to send players to, a very strong pre-existing brand in the Magpies. A ready made away fan base in Sydney.

If such a hypothetical happened, would Wests fans and Perth fans embrace it?
that would be awesome aslong as we keep the juniors from liverpool-macarthur-southern highlands, & if the team colours were black and white, and the team called W.A. Magpies, or Western Magpies, or Perth Magpies. the Magpies fans living in Sydney would still be able to watch them play in sydney when they have the away games and play 1 game at campbelltown per year for heritage round. stuff balmain. wests magpies could stay in the nsw cup, sg ball, harold matts too

siv

First Grade
Before you go further in this hypethical - we need to understand WHY Wests Ashfield LC has abandonded the Wests Magpies

boonboon

Juniors
Stupid old magpies fans -get it through your skulls both Balkan and wests magpies are dead - they don't and haven't existed for ten years -if u went alone and ditched the joint venture you would loose most of your crowds and go broke within 5 years

alien

Referee

nar no need to change it to macarthur magpies.

alien

Referee
Stupid old magpies fans -get it through your skulls both Balkan and wests magpies are dead - they don't and haven't existed for ten years -if u went alone and ditched the joint venture you would loose most of your crowds and go broke within 5 years
:lol: your opinion