What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matai

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Any news on his tackle on Slater that was put on report? Can't believe it was put on report.

I thought Slater took a dive as per normal, until they showed the replay. KAPOOW!

no case to answer

Match officials declined to cite Waerea-Hargreaves afterwards, while Steve Matai also escaped punishment after being placed on report for a late shot on Billy Slater.

It was both legitimate & worthwhile.

The highlight of the night. Anyone who flattens slater deserves a medal. I loved it. I love Matai for it.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
It was both legitimate & worthwhile.

The highlight of the night. Anyone who flattens slater deserves a medal. I loved it.

Matai is a grub, but his hit on Slater was a ripper, I'm prepared to ignore the late nature of the hit as it resulted in Slater looking like he'd suffered at the hands of a steam train.

Highlight of the game, for me. I thought it was worth 1 week on the sideline, however given it was a storm player, and Slater at that, the NRL have probably decided not to make anything of it.

Big Norm

nz eagle

Juniors
Matai is not a grub, he just plays hard and tough.

I am just happy he didnt contact slater in the head, then he would have got a few weeks.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
Matai is not a grub, he just plays hard and tough.

No mate, Norm Provan played hard and tough. Matai is a cat - late hits, high hits, niggle in the tackle, crying to the refs. The amount of times this bloke looks like he's injured himself seriously and is as good as gold 2 minutes later is staggering. Last night was a perfect example. No need for the magic spoonge for Matai, a cup of warm milk is his preference.

I will reiterate my point - Matai covers the roles of cat, grub, sook and also bitch.

Big Norm

nz eagle

Juniors
No mate, Norm Provan played hard and tough. Matai is a cat - late hits, high hits, niggle in the tackle, crying to the refs. The amount of times this bloke looks like he's injured himself seriously and is as good as gold 2 minutes later is staggering. Last night was a perfect example. No need for the magic spoonge for Matai, a cup of warm milk is his preference.

I will reiterate my point - Matai covers the roles of cat, grub, sook and also bitch.

Big Norm

I dont see how anything you have said makes him a grub. He doesnt niggle in the tackle anymore than 99% of the players in the game, and you show me ONE player who hasnt complained to the ref.

I do concede he is a bit of a drama queen, with his constant injuries, but when you play the game at 110% like he does, it hurts.

grandorient

Bench
I also think Matai is a grub of the highest order, but after the hit on Slater, he is also a hero.

GO

Last edited:

Daddycool

Juniors

Big Norm
Speaking from personal experience there.....obviously ;-).

Oh.... Steve Matai had a great game last night, helping the Sea Eagles to a 24-6 thumping of your Dragons :lol:.

Get that into you, J**k off!!!

Big Norm
each to his own but I would not trade Matai for either of your cats either

coolsteve

Juniors

Big Norm
magic spoonge? must be a new thing out stainsville way

Garts

Bench
Matai does not engage in cheap shots. He plays hard and sometimes you can have the odd error in you which might make some shots look a little dirty. Yes he goes down a bit with injuries which would annoy other teams fans but Matai would never back away from a confrontation like say Origin 3 with your buddy Ben Creagh, Mr push and run. For the record I like Creagh but Matai is far from a cat. I bet if he played for the Dragons you would be loving his style of play.

cornerposter

Juniors
no mate, norm provan played hard and tough. Matai is a cat - late hits, high hits, niggle in the tackle, crying to the refs. The amount of times this bloke looks like he's injured himself seriously and is as good as gold 2 minutes later is staggering. Last night was a perfect example. No need for the magic spoonge for matai, a cup of warm milk is his preference.

I will reiterate my point - matai covers the roles of cat, grub, sook and also bitch.

Big norm
+1000

MSIH

Bench
Hitting high occasionally and late every now and again isn't cat like behaviour. He goes 100% into everything, and this will sometimes result in misjudgments. Matai's far from a cat. He doesn't stay down milking like Soward and Boyd have mastered. He also doesn't push and then run away, ie Creagh. Those blokes are cats. Matai's tough and committed.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Matai is very similar to Costigan. Very aggressive who hits hard and will go toe to toe with another guy.
MSIH i agree, Creagh is what you would call a cat. The kind of guy who starts a fight and then runs.

manly40gimps0

Juniors
Matai does not engage in cheap shots. He plays hard and sometimes you can have the odd error in you which might make some shots look a little dirty. Yes he goes down a bit with injuries which would annoy other teams fans but Matai would never back away from a confrontation like say Origin 3 with your buddy Ben Creagh, Mr push and run. For the record I like Creagh but Matai is far from a cat. I bet if he played for the Dragons you would be loving his style of play.

I know it's old but credit to whoever made this
creagh.gif
it's a classic.:lol: