What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 11 vs Panthers @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 11: Knights v Panthers

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burwood

Bench
Newcastle had a stack of penalties back to back in the first half which should of seen them up by at least 30(I thought this would happen).

You're pretty much making stuff up. First half penalties:

7th- Newcastle
10th- Newcastle
12th- Penrith
14th- Newcastle
19th- Penrith
29- Penrith
31st- Penrith
34th- Newcastle
37th- Penrith
39th- Penrith

We had back to back penalties inside the opening 10 minutes, so a bit illogical to say that we should have been 30 points up at half time based on those two early calls.

Yosh

Coach
Just by the look of the highlights, it looked like Gagai didn't add anything to the team in defense... I know I only saw the highlights but it looked like if anyone poked their head through, he'd be nowhere near the ball or not good enough to make a tackle. Kurt for all his flaws could make some great last ditch tackles... Frustrating..

I only saw highlights, read some articles and followed what was on here but by the looks of it we're a really competitive team that needs a couple of players to take us to the next level. Anyone talking sh*t about Brown has no idea what they are saying.

betcats

Referee

Neither of Feeney's arms hit the ground before he passed it

As mentioned above neither of feeneys arms hit the ground, so ball is still in play.

Although based on the roosters-dogs game you can pass even if the ball carrying arm hits the ground when you've got a defender wrapped around your legs (see Daniel tupous pass for one of the Roosters trys)

That roosters one was f**ked, definitely a shit call.

Tough calls suck I know it, but you made 13 errors, many in the second 40, that isn't going to win games. Penrith have had some terrible calls go against us this year so its hard to be sympathetic, the calls didn't make us lose all those games though, we did that ourselves.

I don't think either of the two calls Brown discussed are blatantly wrong, the strip was tough for sure but his hand pulled the ball free, the only argument was if he was playing at it or not. The refs were calling anything that was even just flat forward this round, we had one of those go against us as well.

Frederick

Staff member
That roosters one was f**ked, definitely a shit call.

Tough calls suck I know it, but you made 13 errors, many in the second 40, that isn't going to win games. Penrith have had some terrible calls go against us this year so its hard to be sympathetic, the calls didn't make us lose all those games though, we did that ourselves.

I don't think either of the two calls Brown discussed are blatantly wrong, the strip was tough for sure but his hand pulled the ball free, the only argument was if he was playing at it or not. The refs were calling anything that was even just flat forward this round, we had one of those go against us as well.
Yeah, no problems from me with regards to our poor handling - that was where we lost the game. The shit calls didn't help the fact though

PhilGould

Bench
Just by the look of the highlights, it looked like Gagai didn't add anything to the team in defense... I know I only saw the highlights but it looked like if anyone poked their head through, he'd be nowhere near the ball or not good enough to make a tackle. Kurt for all his flaws could make some great last ditch tackles... Frustrating..

I only saw highlights, read some articles and followed what was on here but by the looks of it we're a really competitive team that needs a couple of players to take us to the next level. Anyone talking sh*t about Brown has no idea what they are saying.
Gagai had one good run and was garbage outside of that. His defence is atrocious, and I noticed he was defending in the front line a few times even when we were nowhere near our goal line. Not sure if it was tactical but a good team could've easily taken advantage of it.

Jeez I hope Souths are planning on him being their fullback.

PhilGould

Bench
Hopefully Buhrer is ready to go after the bye. Stone gets through a lot of work in defence but his attack isn't up to NRL level at this stage and looked low in confidence yesterday. Think he could use a few weeks in NSW Cup.

OldPanther

Coach
You're pretty much making stuff up. First half penalties:

7th- Newcastle
10th- Newcastle
12th- Penrith
14th- Newcastle
19th- Penrith
29- Penrith
31st- Penrith
34th- Newcastle
37th- Penrith
39th- Penrith

We had back to back penalties inside the opening 10 minutes, so a bit illogical to say that we should have been 30 points up at half time based on those two early calls.

I thought it was more than that. My mistake.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Also on Gagai, his great run down the sideline linking up with someone (can't remember who) then getting it back and going for the miracle kick in field, on the 1st tackle. Silly, take the tackle.

Glendale

Juniors
Also on Gagai, his great run down the sideline linking up with someone (can't remember who) then getting it back and going for the miracle kick in field, on the 1st tackle. Silly, take the tackle.

Tbf, I think it was still last tackle, or maybe he didn't hear the call from the ref for six more. Wouldn't have kicked it if he knew it was zero tackle that's for sure.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Tbh all our errors in the second half came off the back of us not having the ball for about 15 minutes as the panthers had all the ball on the back of heaps of penalties. All this came off the back of that bullshit forward pass call, which should have had us at 26-0 if you include the bullshit strip call as well.

We were never going to get the rub of the green in the second half. There were 2 occasions at the start of the second half where the panthers had 3 f**king markers who tried to effect a tackle and they never got penalised. Not soon after the panthers get their 4 or 5 penalties in a row and have 15 minutes worth of possession. Then after that period we just fell to pieces.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Tbf, I think it was still last tackle, or maybe he didn't hear the call from the ref for six more. Wouldn't have kicked it if he knew it was zero tackle that's for sure.

Yes it was still last tackle and tbf, if he could kick with his right foot (Instead of his underpowered effort off the outside of his left) I think it was Lamb who was unmarked gets an uninterrupted run under the posts, we have a try and he gets wraps from all and sundry.

Gaigai was abysmal in pretty much every aspect of defence yesterday and didn't offer too much in attack either but I didn't hold this play against him...intention was great but execution wasn't good enough to get the job done.

I just wanted to say that I also really liked what Brownie did with the post match press conference yesterday - flagging the poor refereeing was appropriate (and I don't think the 2 he singled out, were the only poor calls we got) but his focus back on where the team needs to improve on learning how to wrestle back momentum even when you are fatigued is the positive for our team to work on. I also agree that if we had Buhrer and Koystjasen on the field, we have settled heads that can help steer this young team through that fatigue.

The other thing it has borne out for me is the simple game plan of kicking in to touch and resetting our defensive structures at the back end of our sets to rack up completions is the basic framework that, if we stick to it, can put us in a position manage our fatigue and set us up to win more games this season. I know it's not pretty and it's not rocket science but for the 3 halves we successfully applied that strategy (Raiders last week and first half of this week against the Panthers), we were capable of controlling the game and using our better set defensive capabilities to get the job done.

Frederick

Staff member
Hopefully Buhrer is ready to go after the bye. Stone gets through a lot of work in defence but his attack isn't up to NRL level at this stage and looked low in confidence yesterday. Think he could use a few weeks in NSW Cup.
Apparently he's still on crutches

Sacrolishes

Juniors
Against the Roosters and Broncos we got bad calls that changed the games and we got told to suck it up. You guys at times got 2 and 3 penalties in a row which would have been enough to close out the game. Your inexperience was the issue not the refs. I wish the knights lots of luck and it's good to see them improving.

Well I wasnt saying it was enough to "close out the game" but that one of them would have put us up 20-0. But due to a shitty call we didn't. I also said that in reference to Browns quotes in presser that it WAS our inexperience that wasn't able to get us out of the serious glut of possession your team got... so... thank you for the passive aggressive comment?

OldPanther

Coach
Well I wasnt saying it was enough to "close out the game" but that one of them would have put us up 20-0. But due to a shitty call we didn't. I also said that in reference to Browns quotes in presser that it WAS our inexperience that wasn't able to get us out of the serious glut of possession your team got... so... thank you for the passive aggressive comment?

I wasn't being passive aggressive.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
Been disgusted with RL Mole continually stiring shit with Ross situation. He clearly has a dislike for the Knights as I see no such bitching about Cody Walker and Souths. So hard not to comment on it all. And Rossy still acknowledging him and comments isn't going to help his chances getting back in to 1st. Not saying he shouldn't but Brown won't take shit if he still continues via media.

Wish Toohey would shut the Mole down. But probably smarter to not get involved. Or even Brown... tell him to come ask questions personally and stop hiding behind a f**king keyboard.

Anywho. Where's my beer?!

Zoidberg

First Grade
My bad then, for some reason I thought it was 1st tackle.