What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 14 vs Sea Eagles @ Lottoland

Who will win? Round 14: Sea Eagles v Knights

• Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Saifitis tend to twist and turn. That can be good for offloads if there is actually someone there. It can slow the play the ball down a bit though when they get their orientation back.
I wouldn't want to take away the strengths our players have but I think all our fwds can drive better when they need to.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Agree 100% and coach said as much in press conference.

Rare insight from a souths fan.

Nathan brown is a class coach. It's smart that he doesn't lose his cool like some coaches do. I have a lot of respect for the knights theyre going through the worst right now but most of the time they're their own worst enemy. There's been a lot of times Newcastle haven't been able to execute games this year and it's cost them. These are all vital lessons going into following seasons. I still feel like you guys need hodkinson in the first 17. The inexperience does show on the field at times. Stuff like taking too long to make penalty decisions, giving the pack direction, motivating hard defence it's all what experience brings to the table. Good luck for the season though guys hopefully both of our teams can avoid the spoon!

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
What? Souths were robbed against Brisbane it went on for a week and then nobody spoke a word about it. There was nothing done at all. Newcastle aren't the only side that get f**ked over by refs.

Canberra were also robbed the week before by the referees because there's always going to be human error in the game. There wasn't anything done about that?!

Referees make mistakes and not sending it up to the bunker was a massive mistake. Everybody knows you guys were robbed of the 2 points but you guys actually kept up with manly the whole game. The fact that you guys didn't get the 2 points isn't the be all and end all. You literally kept up with a top 4 side the entire game and deserved to win it. Just like Souths, Newcastle put in inconsistent performances week in week out. If both of our teams were consistent each week then it wouldn't be as big of a problem as it seems.

Mate you're not wrong about the fact that both sides are inconsistent and can focus on getting better in that area. But the problem is not only do we have to play well enough to beat the other team but we have to play well enough to overcome poor refereeing decisions as well, and for a young team with plenty of players still finding their feet that's a tough ask.

Also it may not seem like the 2 competition points is that important in the grand scheme of things but it certainly is to our coach who's job will definitely be in question by the end of the season if we don't chalk up a few more wins. We've had a few close games this year where a few of those 50/50's in our favour would have made the difference and we could have 4 or 5 wins on the board by now if those go our way. I'd be feeling pretty sick in the stomach if I was Nathan Brown, his job could be on the line sooner or later and f**k ups from the refs like last night definitely don't make his job any easier.

Joel-22

Juniors
Aku has come out and said that he didn't drop the ball for his second try last night. Also claims the try that was taken off him 5 minutes earlier for illegal contact on Elliot was a try despite the fact he made illegal contact and despite the fact his leg went out into touch before he grounded the ball. Lol.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I can imagine the big grin on his face when he said that. Shouldn't every Aku try go to the video ref, god knows we've seen him duff up some absolute gifts when he played for us.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Mate you're not wrong about the fact that both sides are inconsistent and can focus on getting better in that area. But the problem is not only do we have to play well enough to beat the other team but we have to play well enough to overcome poor refereeing decisions as well, and for a young team with plenty of players still finding their feet that's a tough ask.

Also it may not seem like the 2 competition points is that important in the grand scheme of things but it certainly is to our coach who's job will definitely be in question by the end of the season if we don't chalk up a few more wins. We've had a few close games this year where a few of those 50/50's in our favour would have made the difference and we could have 4 or 5 wins on the board by now if those go our way. I'd be feeling pretty sick in the stomach if I was Nathan Brown, his job could be on the line sooner or later and f**k ups from the refs like last night definitely don't make his job any easier.

I think you'll find the knights generally aren't too hard done by by the refs though. Every supporter of every team thinks that refs are out to get their teams when frankly it's not true.

There will be games where I watch the knights play and it just looks like they don't wanna be there. In recent weeks I'm looking at the storm and Titans games as references the team literally gave up at half time. Then you compare those games with games against the panthers and manly where they will really put up a fight but they have these little defensive lapses in the game and concede silly tries. If the knights turn up week in week out I think they'd be on top of a few teams on the ladder. The top teams don't make these silly defensive errors like our teams do. In fact they'll be spewing if they even make an error where it's seen as normal for our teams! For me the knights play there best footy at a fast pace attacking all sides of the field. Manly didn't expect you guys to put up a fight last night and you did. There's no reason your team can't build confidence out of a win that you all know you deserved. Manly will eventually get their share of bad calls and their supporters will be calling for a riot and at that point you knights supporters can sit there and laugh at them.

I think Nathan brown is definitely safe. The players however should be questioning themselves.

macavity

Referee
Saifitis tend to twist and turn. That can be good for offloads if there is actually someone there. It can slow the play the ball down a bit though when they get their orientation back.
I wouldn't want to take away the strengths our players have but I think all our fwds can drive better when they need to.

They both need to stop that benji hop before the line

Yosh

Coach
Any further news on the Aku try? That photo needs to be put on the front page of the NRL site... The Knights need to be all over this BUT our owners are the NRL so they won't shoot themselves in the foot by trying to sue themselves...

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Any further news on the Aku try? That photo needs to be put on the front page of the NRL site... The Knights need to be all over this BUT our owners are the NRL so they won't shoot themselves in the foot by trying to sue themselves...

What news would you like? Nothing they can do about it. They stood maxwell down from bunker duties.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Nathan brown is a class coach. It's smart that he doesn't lose his cool like some coaches do. I have a lot of respect for the knights theyre going through the worst right now but most of the time they're their own worst enemy. There's been a lot of times Newcastle haven't been able to execute games this year and it's cost them. These are all vital lessons going into following seasons. I still feel like you guys need hodkinson in the first 17. The inexperience does show on the field at times. Stuff like taking too long to make penalty decisions, giving the pack direction, motivating hard defence it's all what experience brings to the table. Good luck for the season though guys hopefully both of our teams can avoid the spoon!

Experience is a terrific thing, but being experienced whilst being a passenger isn't going to help the team. When Hodkinson was in the team, he wouldn't take the line and barely kicked the ball. He was a halfback who let inexperienced second rowers play more of a leading hand than himself whilst he was going missing in games. Basically all he was is a goal kicker and that's it... Not a bad investment for 12K per week...

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Experience is a terrific thing, but being experienced whilst being a passenger isn't going to help the team. When Hodkinson was in the team, he wouldn't take the line and barely kicked the ball. He was a halfback who let inexperienced second rowers play more of a leading hand than himself whilst he was going missing in games. Basically all he was is a goal kicker and that's it... Not a bad investment for 12K per week...

Yeah I also get that. It's kind of hard isn't it? Where's the motivation to get him to perform when he's already on a ridiculous amount of money. It's just sometimes watching how inexperienced the team is does my head in! Guerra is a great signing for that reason I don't really care what roosters supporters say about him. He genuinely has the potential to go as well as Vaughn has gone at the dragons. You guys got him for a reasonable amount of money as well.

Swarzey

Bench

What else needs to be said? Klein has been stood down for the week and Maxwell indefinitely. Behind closed doors the club has likely received an apology and the NRL are likely educating their bunker officials to not intervene like Maxwell did. At this point, putting that image up is just to milk sympathy that we were robbed of a victory but even then, people are going to be tired of it.

Time to move on pal.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Yeh, nahhh....