What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 14 vs Sharks @ Southern Cross Group Stadium

Who will win? Round 14: Sharks v Wests Tigers

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BuffaloRules

Coach
Chances are Cleary won’t b at the club to fulfill a 3-5 yr plan if we continue to miss the semis over the next few yrs.We have buckleys of playing finals this yr & I don’t c how Cleary can improve the team/roster enough next yr for things to get better.

Like I said recently there’s a big likelihood he will severely fk up his coaching CV during his tenure at Concord.

Agree with a lot of points you have raised ..,

Cleary basically had a full salary cap to play with and he chose to bring in several players on the field today who struggled to make an impact..( and that’s being generous).

He is at the club until 2020 so I think he has that time to get results... ( no 5 year plan)and they would want to be a Top 8 team in that time. I think we can just about put a line through them this year and they need a few more players next year who I don’t see at the club at the moment to give some hope that things can change.

Not saying he can’t do it, but he has a job in front of him...

Vic Mackey

Referee
Cleary has openly said the players he bought were brought in to change the culture and start the rebuild. They might not be the guys to take us to that next level (Premiership Contenders) however they will do what the clubs needs at this time.

When the Roosters were in a hole they went and bought Maloney, Jennings and SBW. We will never be able to do that, 3 topline stars in an off season. Cleary has done the best he could. At least the place is now somewhere that good players will consider coming. The biggest ‘name’ player we signed between 2013-2016 was Tim Grant.

super_coach

First Grade
Cleary is the best thing since 2005. The Sharks are a top four chance, but we made them look pretty average today and once again we beat ourselves rather than got beaten by the Sharks. You look at our roster and we should be spooners, but every week they have a real dig.

Over the next two years or so they should be able to discard some players and add some real class and they will be a force. They are not that far off now with average roster, so inject a couple of class players and anything could happen

Tiger05

First Grade
On the subject of Cleary I reckon he is doing a really good job but there have been some poor decisions.

Our signings have been really ordinary apart from Fonua and Thompson and I don't think they were really Cleary signings. Packer, Matulino & Reynolds have been ordinary. I think Benji has been great. Benji has been making plenty of dud plays but has been good defensively and he has had some good games for us. Since he came for a small amount he is doing well. So our big signings have been crap.

Our best performers have been Marsters, Fonua, Thompson, Brooks, Lawrence, Twal & Eisenhuth.

Reynolds hasn't played much for us and he may come good. Matulino to me is starting to get it together but he isn't as good as Twal. Aloiai has too many mistakes in his game as does Liddle. Tui has been ordinary.

I think we've actually been well coached and I can understand playing ET at hooker. We can get a roll on through the forwards, we are tough defensively and can grind parts of the game out. Liddle has also been all over the place and those our only options. Giving Liddle some time in reserves to get his game together makes sense.

I don't think we have a good enough team to win games consistently throughout the year. We may go on another little run if we get it together but we need to go and buy some more players.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Cleary is the best thing since 2005. The Sharks are a top four chance, but we made them look pretty average today and once again we beat ourselves rather than got beaten by the Sharks. You look at our roster and we should be spooners, but every week they have a real dig.

Over the next two years or so they should be able to discard some players and add some real class and they will be a force. They are not that far off now with average roster, so inject a couple of class players and anything could happen

Agree totally. There was genuine effort and the first half was very good. Terrible call with Edrick Lee into touch moment that seemed to turn the game

Other observations
- Packer is carrying a knee injury
- Reynolds offers more than Marshall at 6.
- Tui is just not committed enough for first grade. He is talented but doesn't try. He is still overweight
- Our attack is limited by zero ball playing in the forwards. They must be coached to run one out with no support runners?
- Tim Grant probably secured himself a SL contract for next season with his jumper grab on Ramien which sealed the win for Cronulla.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
On the subject of Cleary I reckon he is doing a really good job but there have been some poor decisions.

Our signings have been really ordinary apart from Fonua and Thompson and I don't think they were really Cleary signings. Packer, Matulino & Reynolds have been ordinary. I think Benji has been great. Benji has been making plenty of dud plays but has been good defensively and he has had some good games for us. Since he came for a small amount he is doing well. So our big signings have been crap.

Our best performers have been Marsters, Fonua, Thompson, Brooks, Lawrence, Twal & Eisenhuth.

Reynolds hasn't played much for us and he may come good. Matulino to me is starting to get it together but he isn't as good as Twal. Aloiai has too many mistakes in his game as does Liddle. Tui has been ordinary.

I think we've actually been well coached and I can understand playing ET at hooker. We can get a roll on through the forwards, we are tough defensively and can grind parts of the game out. Liddle has also been all over the place and those our only options. Giving Liddle some time in reserves to get his game together makes sense.

I don't think we have a good enough team to win games consistently throughout the year. We may go on another little run if we get it together but we need to go and buy some more players.

Cleary said some pre-june 30 signings were likely at a post game press conference a couple of weeks ago. You'd think Mbye will be full back within a couple of weeks. I'd hope that there is room for one or two others as well given we've let Milne & Suli leave already?

BuffaloRules

Coach
We all agree about Tui yet he still keeps getting picked..

I would have thought that last week should have been his last chance...( and I’ll admit that I liked him last year and was very optimistic about him at the start of this year..)

Mario chalmers

Juniors
That was on display for all to see when Lewis nearly scored early on from the grubber. He was right there and didn’t even try to get the ball or knock it dead.
really surprised that he was even recalled to NRL to play fullback when Thompson had been going so well. IC talks about competition for spots but Tui and Godinet have appeared to get a dream run?

magpie4ever

First Grade
C'mon guys, only one side has put us to the sword this year - the Warriors.

We have been in the majority of games - hopefully jag a few more wins and finish closer to 8th than 16th.

Stop expecting miracles.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Why wouldnt Cleary be here to see it through?....Dragons have stuck with Mary's plan for how long and its' finally and solidly happening for them now....Brown / Nights?...again..go and read the panthers tragics howling for Griffin's axing just earlier this year..If the club KNOWS for sure that there's a realistic chance of getting Nathan over then Ivan's job will be the most secure in the whole NRL even if it's not already.

Just to add....i think what everyone would probably agree on...after years of chaos and out of control egos everywhere you looked what this club needed WAY more than immediate onfield success was a cleanout ..stability and direction...at last we have a solid club on the rise and that shouldn't be underappreciated and i'd say the board full well knows that....as do the dogs right now
If Cleary doesn’t entice his prodigious son to Concord in ‘20 then I feel cleary’s tenure will end quite badly.

No surprise re form of Mary’s & Griffin’s teams as they clearly have superior spines & rosters than us.Brown also has a superior spine & recruited more effectively than Cleary did.

After 14 Rounds observations regarding coaches performances have a heck of a lot more substance than the premature criticism of Griffin by panthers tragics based on only the 1st few rounds of the season.

We’ve clearly regressed over the last 2 months mainly coz we have a shit roster that Cleary had the autonomy to assemble.Additionally he has made a number of moronic selections(LoLo & Taylor @ 1 & 9) that defy logic including his hesitation to promote Fonua earlier as he has been one of the few shining lights in a team with a scarcity of weapons in attack.

We will finish 9th-12th which is an improvement on recent seasons but not that good a result when u consider Cleary was in an enviable & favourable position in having a blank canvas from which to assemble a roster for this season & he has failed by putting together an average roster & signing a no. of undeserving players on overly generous contracts.

BuffaloRules

Coach
C'mon guys, only one side has put us to the sword this year - the Warriors.

We have been in the majority of games - hopefully jag a few more wins and finish closer to 8th than 16th.

Stop expecting miracles.

After they started 5-1 and had just destroyed Manly at Brookvale, my expectations were Top 8...

I think that is the disappointing thing- they are going backwards..

mepelthwack

Juniors
A few points by me, feel free to agree or disagree.

*Chee Kam earned his spot in the starting lineup but he’s since blown it and let’s face it he is better coming on as an impact player against tired forwards, or not at all.

*I’d run Gamble sooner rather than later, even if it means blooding him as fullback which might just work btw.

*I’d persist with Josh Reynolds at 5/8 Benji shouldn’t just replace him but deserves a bench spot.

*unless Mcillwrick is playing awfully in ISP it’s about time to give him a chance. The options tried last couple months simply aren’t working.

In fairness to Ivan regarding a blank canvas the WT have been considered a basket case for a number of seasons,it’s pretty hard to attract top line players when it’s publicly documented the issues that were at our club beforehand,considering this I think he has done well to get the players he has for this season,from this base our club will build forward hopefully eliminating our shortfalls in talent,for now we are at least competitive which is more than we can say for past seasons.

unless Mcillwrick is playing awfully in ISP it’s about time to give him a chance
Interesting that he was the starting hooker/dummy half in ISP on Saturday and when Liddle came on, MM stayed on and I assume he went to lock.

Shredder

Juniors
I think we are going OK first proper year into a rebuild.
Our forwards go OK now. I would go so far as to say that we now have one of the best packs since our inception.
Funua, Masters and Thompson are going well in the backs. Grub played his first proper game at 6 and Brooks is serviceable at 7.

Ive said it before, but we are still short a 1, 9 and a winger.

If Mbye comes on shortly I think he will do the job at 1.
Licca also rumoured will help at 9.
No they are not world beaters, but they will help.

Im losing my interest in Liddle. Honestly, I think hes going to be one of these kids with talent that for some reason never reaches his potential. I hope Im wrong.At least with him it isnt stupid stuff.

How f**king hard can it be to find a couple of fast kids that can catch a ball and stick a number 2 and 5 on their backs?

We have depth now and we have a serviceable forward back and half a spine. Its just a few missing pieces.

Some stats from reserve grade on Saturday and in light of discussion re No 9 in NRL:

McIlwrick (started in No 9 role)
57 minutes, 20 tackles, missed tackles 0, ineffective tackles 4,
4 runs - 35 metres - dummy half runs 0 - line breaks 0 - tackle breaks 1

Liddle
52 minutes, 33 tackles, missed tackles 1, ineffective tackles 1,
7 runs - 80 metres - dummy half runs 6 - line breaks 0 - tackle breaks 1

make of it, what you want ;)

How f**king hard can it be to find a couple of fast kids that can catch a ball and stick a number 2 and 5 on their backs?
Have always thought the same Shredder, as long as they are tall, can catch a high ball, defend, not afraid to take a hit up or 10 and have speed to burn.

Shredder

Juniors
Ivan has showed his hand pretty firmly by playing the useless Godinet over these two.

Just read that Isaac Luke is going to be forced out of the Warriors. Luke, Korisaou and Rein are probably the pick of the off contact hookers.

Latest posts