What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 17 vs Wests Tigers @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 17: Knights v Wests Tigers

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slotmachine

First Grade
I think Levi is really struggling to play 80 minutes. I'd give tom starling a crack on the bench to spell Levi.

He's been terrible last two weeks. Maybe the grind of the season and getting flogged every week for a year and a half is catching up.

I suspect that's the plan for 2018. Buhrer and Barnett splitting lock with Buhrer getting 15 mins or so at hooker as well.

I do not like that idea at all. Guerra needs to play middle with 20-25 minutes of Barnett filling in.

Old dog

Juniors
So a run through on the Squad :

Ross - his worst game of the year but it wasn't a lack of effort but a lot of poor execution

Sio - fairly ordinary but it appeared he was playing with only one shoulder from about 10-15 minutes into the first half so he was a bit of a passenger, which the Tigers exploited with their try scoring targeting his side

Gagai - for all his faults, probably the best on ground for the Knights today including 21 runs for 294 metres and about the only spark in the attack for the Knights

Pete Mat - didn't see much of him throughout the game...very quiet for him

Wardle - not a winger, minimal impact and scored a lucky try off Gagai chip

Hodkinson - where do you start...worse that ineffective, his kicking was actually a net benefit to the Tigers, no spark, no organisation in attack and brought nothing in leadership

Feeney - he was better that Hodkinson...but not by much

Dafiti - had one hit up off a long run and looked awesome....why doesn't every hit up look like that?! not his best game by a long shot

Levi - a bit like Ross, no lack of effort but still his poorest game I've seen from him this year...also picked up a shoulder problem late in the first half but stayed out there.

Sione - I'm not sure what it is but he just doesn't seem to be running on all 8 cylinders...I'd personally like to see him drop the captaincy and get back to concentrating on his own game at the moment

Fitzgibbon - not up to first grade, gave away 4 or 5 dumb penalties, missed crucial tackles, dropped a few balls and generally was a greater help to the Tigers than his team mates for mine

Barnett - rocks and....well mostly just rocks. I like his aggression but he needs to control it and make sure he uses if effectively.

Buhrer - probably our second best on the field...but that is not high praise, expect he will be better for the run too, considering he's been out for a while

Jafiti - not sure if I confused Dan and Jacob for the hit up off the long run but again nobody was a star today

Stone - wasn't the worst on field but he's still got a lot of developing to do

Starling - same old Starling, not really effective and didn't bring any real impact with his time on the paddock

A game that genuinely makes me question my membership...I just generally can't accept that they can play with that little intensity (apart from the first 5 minutes) when nearly 20,000 show up to the ground to try and get this season turned around.

That is going to cost them in attendance for the rest of the year and they have got a lot of work to do if they want to ensure this region doesn't turn off from them
I agree in general with all comments, hard to tell if effort and results was overall good or bad, it looked like expectation was not met by result

Old dog

Juniors
He played lock today and has in his career. Where do you see him fitting in with Guerra and Sione ?
Bench, replacing hooker 2nd row. Am sure we can't have sioni and buhrer in second row for any length of time, need size. It's unfortunate as they are two of our better players

Apey

Staff member
Pretty sure they were booing the Refs mostly. They did probably deserve to get booed but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Yeah, I think it was mostly aimed at the refs, given that 'forward pass' call was right before time.

Johns Magic

Referee
Bench, replacing hooker 2nd row. Am sure we can't have sioni and buhrer in second row for any length of time, need size. It's unfortunate as they are two of our better players

Correct Buhrer is one of our better players. I don't see his role being restricted to 15 minute appearances as a bench hooker.

I see the 2018 plan as:

8. Graham
9. Levi
10. Dan Saifiti
11. Sione
12. Guerra
13. Buhrer

14. Ese'ese
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Barnett
17. Wardle

With Barnett playing lock, and Buhrer spending 15 mins at hooker at some point.

slotmachine

First Grade
I'd swap Guerra and Buhrer and Wardle seems redundant. I'd prefer a phythian or similar for injury cover and the 15 minutes at hooker.

Sione and Buhrer are 80 minute players, but Barnett can fill in there too if required.

Old dog

Juniors
Correct Buhrer is one of our better players. I don't see his role being restricted to 15 minute appearances as a bench hooker.

I see the 2018 plan as:

8. Graham
9. Levi
10. Dan Saifiti
11. Sione
12. Guerra
13. Buhrer

14. Ese'ese
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Barnett
17. Wardle

With Barnett playing lock, and Buhrer spending 15 mins at hooker at some point.[/QU
Wasn't thinking of him, buhrer, as hooker relief only, 60 min player possibly longer but his main job is to relieve Levi and play second row rest of time

Dave_

Juniors
Doesn't matter how much passion you have when your team is full of plodders and also your junior base is equally as plod.
But why do they/are they plod? If the club was as I described there wouldn't be plodders. Look at Melbourne...even major plodders go there and they just don't plod because they're too scared to and just they just want to win. Watch Rochow become one of the strike back rowers in the league down there

Old dog

Juniors
We currently have quite a few potential players in our u/20, so the talents on hand, they need to be nurtured and developed and then we are not so dependant on outside/expensive buys we just need to give them time and develop them. We have 4 prop Fwds in u/20 that all show prospect and have size as well as youth which equals time to develop, we need a couple of v/good props to show them how

Dave_

Juniors
This club are the Steelers with a trophy cabinet. Headed for the same fate as well...

Newcastle might as well go back to being a junior region for the richer Sydney clubs without a top flight team, just as it was for 80 years before 1988. It's a different town from the one that welcomed the Knights into the comp. The steelworks are closed, people have more to do than just go watch the footy on the weekend and there's already a generation who are indifferent to the Knights- partially due to this demographic shift and partially because they've grown up remembering little else but the club being a joke. That culture of "be the player the bloke next to you wants to play alongside" that defined the first 15 years of this club and attracted me as a fan in the first place- despite having never lived in the Hunter my entire life- are long gone. So is the player culture of giving it a fair dinkum slog every week and of still holding our heads high, even in defeat. It's dead, and has been ever since Brian Smith left. The Crusade is a memory. So is the home crowd that used to have the same aura for visiting teams that Lang Park held for NSW. It's all just a memory, best left for an updated edition of "Our Town, Our Team" and for us to reminisce about those good old days...

In its' place is indifference and an ineptitude that'd be comical if so many of us didn't continue to get so upset by it. The Knights brand is so unfashionable that nobody would even follow us ironically. Tomorrow's generation are currently watching garbage served up like today, with no end in sight. Apart from the hardcore, the rest of the budding Rugby League fans in the region will end up following Sydney clubs. Some of that is the NRL's fault for neglecting this team in favour of The Big 5, but the club has to shoulder much of that blame as well.

It's been a good run and we'll always have that amazing high of '97. And the "nobody rates us- who cares?" against the odds glory in 2001. And we can tell our grandkids about what it was like to sit on the hill at the old Marathon Stadium and have the privelege of watching Joey play. Of watching The Chief and Spud charge full-on at each other. And the 15,000 that came to the ground and waited until 3am to welcome the team back with the NRL trophy after topping Parra. But those days aren't coming back. The Knights are just a token existence to the NRL and with other expansion areas banging down the door to get into the comp, how long will the NRL justify keeping us afloat after today? After the last 3 years?

I've felt nothing for this club for a long time. It's like a bad relationship that's run it's course. I thought about watching the game on TV today, but I was at a mates' and instead found myself out the front of his place with him, sinking beers and enjoying the winter sun while it lasted. When I checked Fb on my phone and saw the final score, I felt nothing. It could've been the Penrith-Souths game. It could've been the Broncos-Storm game. F**k, it could've been the Western Reds vs the Adelaide Rams for how I felt.

The NRL isn't a level playing field- not for us, anyway. That isn't changing anytime soon. I don't see the point investing energy or money following a club playing a game where the house is against us- and even then, the people involved with this club find a way to shoot themselves in the foot anyway.

The way I'm feeling right now, I'd say that's it for this season and see you next year- but I don't know if there will be a next year. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I don't see how the next 10 years is going to be any different from the last 10- and that's if this club even has another 10 years?

I have enough demands on my time and I've had to make enough sacrifices already the past few years- if somebody can give me a reason why tuning in to the Knights should remain part of that, I'm all ears...because I can't think of a single reason why that should remain the case, and today only served as a further coin tilting the scales in favour of me saying "Thanks for the memories" and moving on.
Geez that was a depressing read mate...but totally called for. Things couldn't be more screwed but you'll still be a rock solid Knights fan and so will the rest of us but that's probably the saddest and hardest part of all. This definitely has to be to a new low though I'd reckon... it's gonna make it that much sweeter for us strugglers when we come good though brother

mozza91

Coach
Yeah I'm here for the journey.
The Knights are abit like my alcoholism:- costly, painful, occurs only on weekends and quite bad for me in the long run. But I'm very unlikely to stop either.

Old dog

Juniors
He's been terrible last two weeks. Maybe the grind of the season and getting flogged every week for a year and a half is catching up.

I do not like that idea at all. Guerra needs to play middle with 20-25 minutes of Barnett filling in.
Guerra/Buhrer/Levi playing 160 min between them, 50-60 mins each

Old dog

Juniors
Yeah I'm here for the journey.
The Knights are abit like my alcoholism:- costly, painful, occurs only on weekends and quite bad for me in the long run. But I'm very unlikely to stop either.
Weekends what about mon-fri, forgive ny niavity drinking isn't a everyday occurrence, I will have to consider cutting back, will do so when sober

Glendale

Juniors
Went to the game today, was right up the front right next to the action.

Nothing I can add that hasn't already been said.

Unbelievable the lack of urgency and intensity we had coming into a game that was meant to be 'our grand final'. This is the most dissapointed I've ever been after a Knights loss. There isn't much else to say.