What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 19 vs Broncos @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 19: Knights v Broncos

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brisbane Broncos 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pedge1971

First Grade
Gagai had 6 missed tackles. This bloke is incredibly overrated as league is a game that requires both attack and defense.

Totally agree. Not through lack of trying he just isnt good enough in that posotion. I think u would get better reads and defence out of him on the wing.

Anyway Souffs problem going fwd and at least the effort was there from Gags tonight.

Looking fwd to SKD against his old club next weekend.

Old dog

Juniors
The biggest problem we all have is "It's so dam frustrating" and that's just watching, imagine playing

Sacrolishes

Juniors
Chiming in next late here so probably repeating a few things...

Attack was on point for most parts tonight, a lot of our tries were really exciting to watch. And most of it came from Hodgo I believe, so kudos to him standing up. For his quality though it should be expected.

Unfortunate for Lamb tonight he didn't have his greatest game, second guest himself a lot when given early ball.

Our early defense and intensity was sensational. King and J. saifiti were superb, as was Wardle until he got shifted to center again, poor bugger, I want to see him get a regular go in backrow.

We really missed Pete Mat tonight, was is sought of game to play big again.

Gags big rocks and diamonds performance.

Overall I was shocked with first half, team turned up ready to get it done and put last week behind them. What ever happens in change rooms at half time needs to be sorted in off season. 8+ games we've led at half time, need to turn that into wins.

The team has the ability... just need to execute it. It'll come, whilst frustrating I was impressed with team.

Korbin Sims can eat a dick.

Haffa

That presser pissed me off. If there's one person that shouldn't be asked for his opinion on the Knights rebuild it's him.

He completely f**ked us over then took off. He's not allowed to comment now.
Popped in to mention this presser. He had the nerve to say letting Dane go wasn't a move in the right direction.

Spot On

Coach
Popped in to mention this presser. He had the nerve to say letting Dane go wasn't a move in the right direction.

And of course he swooped in and snapped him up due to the quality of player Dane is?????

Why would you pay 800K for a winger in today's game?

Why do so many rate this bloke so highly?????

Aaaaaah! I just don't see it!

Noname36

First Grade

The thing is we didn't even "let" Dane go so he's dead wrong from the outset. Brown wanted to keep him. He was offered an upgraded contract (more than we could probably afford within our means) but Souths offered more (+ he can probably earn even more there with the indigenous programs and that).

With comments like that it's really no wonder how Bennett f**ked our salary cap up so much. He can't seem to grasp the concept that not every club has the TPAs to just throw whatever the hell they want to secure every player.

Noname36

First Grade
And of course he swooped in and snapped him up due to the quality of player Dane is?????

Why would you pay 800K for a winger in today's game?

Why do so many rate this bloke so highly?????

Aaaaaah! I just don't see it!

Dane is a very good player and a very bad player at the same time - usually evidenced in the same game (other than when he's playing for Qld of course when he only needs to utilise his running game/score easy tries so you only see the good there - he'd be under more pressure at state level if NSW knew what a set/backline play was so he had to make decisions/tackle).

Pedge1971

First Grade
The thing is we didn't even "let" Dane go so he's dead wrong from the outset. Brown wanted to keep him. He was offered an upgraded contract (more than we could probably afford within our means) but Souths offered more (+ he can probably earn even more there with the indigenous programs and that).

With comments like that it's really no wonder how Bennett f**ked our salary cap up so much. He can't seem to grasp the concept that not every club has the TPAs to just throw whatever the hell they want to secure every player.

I mentioned it in the game thread and it ruffled a few Bronco feathers. I think Bennett is taking them in a similarly bad direction. Their young fwd stocks are being raided and he will be left with old players like Blair, Korbin and Thaiday of he isnt careful. Ese Ese and Jarrod Wallace prove most fwds are not prepared to accept unders to play for him anymore. That combined with the success of Melb & NQ also means they no longer get to cherrypick the states best juniors.

They will never reach our lows with all the advantages they still enjoy but that roster will not win them any premierships. All not good in Waynes World....

Noname36

First Grade
I mentioned it in the game thread and it ruffled a few Bronco feathers. I think Bennett is taking them in a similarly bad direction. Their young fwd stocks are being raided and he will be left with old players like Blair, Korbin and Thaiday of he isnt careful. Ese Ese and Jarrod Wallace prove most fwds are not prepared to accept unders to play for him anymore. That combined with the success of Melb & NQ also means they no longer get to cherrypick the states best juniors.

They will never reach our lows with all the advantages they still enjoy but that roster will not win them any premierships. All not good in Waynes World....

I really don't know if they're going in the right direction or not, I couldn't care less to be honest.

All I do know though is that for all the advantage they have they're some of the biggest underachievers in the comp. They have to win it this year or next IMO with losing the young forwards - and we all know Bennett won't prep for their future if he feels retirement is approaching.

PhilGould

Bench
Rossy is a good fullback to have hovering around the ruck looking for offloads in attack but I don't understand what goes through his head in defence. At least twice last night, late in the tackle count, he sprinted up from fullback to make a regular tackle with the front line of defence for seemingly no reason. He does it every week too, we're lucky no one's been smart enough to take advantage of it yet.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I really don't know if they're going in the right direction or not, I couldn't care less to be honest.

All I do know though is that for all the advantage they have they're some of the biggest underachievers in the comp. They have to win it this year or next IMO with losing the young forwards - and we all know Bennett won't prep for their future if he feels retirement is approaching.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than to watch them slide as we rise.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Rossy is a good fullback to have hovering around the ruck looking for offloads in attack but I don't understand what goes through his head in defence. At least twice last night, late in the tackle count, he sprinted up from fullback to make a regular tackle with the front line of defence for seemingly no reason. He does it every week too, we're lucky no one's been smart enough to take advantage of it yet.

Yeah still has a bit to learn position wise but he has also saved some tries by doing that.

There is also no reason why you cannot run those same attacking plays for him coming off the wing. But imagine Ponga on the end of that as well <drools>....

Johns Magic

Referee
Good press conference from Brown I thought. The comments have gone from learning to compete last year to learning how to wrestle momentum back our way. I got the impression he thought the Roberts try would be a good learning curve for us in terms of how to respond when luck goes against you.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The more I think about it the more I feel that Brown is in fact a good coach. I know that a number of us (including myself) on here have questioned his ability to actually get the best out of the team but I think there was evidence last night of some moves in the right direction.

- It seemed that our game plan was really solid and if we hadn't had that 10 mins of madness to start the second half we probably would have won the match

- We have developed some really nice set plays this year and I think the only thing that has stopped us from really kicking on with those is the fact that we've had a lot of injuries and forced changes to key personnel

- The boys are having a go week in and week out, so they obviously like playing for Brown and are buying into his vision

- While it doesn't seem like our defence has improved I think you can chalk it down to these little patches in games where mentally we drop our bundle and panic sets in, last night was a perfect example as well as the games against the Dogs and Dragons. That's more mental fortitude and decision making rather than structure. And I feel that Brown is putting in place a solid structure for our defence

- All in all we can't really judge the guy until he has an actual first grade team to coach, as it is right now half of our team would be playing reserve grade at any other club. Next year we will have a much better team so I would expect to see better results, if not then we can rightfully start calling Brown into question

Brown was fairly scathing of Wardle but seemed defensive of Gagai and Hodkinson's decision to make that play.
I thought Wardle went well until he was put on the left.
We use that play with Pete kicking and it seemed Wardle tried to go with it on his right foot on the wrong side. I doubt he would have trained for it.
Brown keeps on knocking sense into me. Errors at crucial times and the inability to bounce back.
On a positive we did bounce back a bit.
I need to remember this is a team of mostly kids who are running last who played fourth.
They do show so much promise and that's why we feel let down. If they were schit all game I could live with it better.

I'm renaming us the Jedi Knights. The force is strong but we haven't learned to use it yet.