What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 2 vs Storm @ AAMI Park

Who will win? Round 2: Storm v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We can't look backwards and we'd never know but, to think we would have had the all out enthusiasm of Josh Reynolds and who knows the result? Now we have the mature Benji who has learnt how to control a game and provide direction.

Im still concerned about our attack, but while we keep winning, who gives a shit.

I agree and perhaps IC wants us to win with our defense 1st. After round 6, we may see a different game plan.

PS: Win with defense, that takes me back to the Warren Ryan days.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Im interested in the lack of activity here after that game - I reckon even a lot of us are shocked.

You would have to say we have just beat, on paper, the two best teams in the comp. Keeping them both scoreless for at least a half. Both games down to 12 at one stage and both games had starting side shake-ups before kickoff.

That defence is rattling everyone.

Im still concerned about our attack, but while we keep winning, who gives a shit.
Being shocked after the unexpectedly magnificent wins against 2 demonic clubs who’ve experienced massive financial advantages over us & clout with the NRL for many yrs is an understatement.Im in a state of euphoria only superseded by the GF win in 05.Bring on another privileged club coached by the obnoxious spinmeister Bennett next fri nite.

stryker

First Grade
How was Brooksey's tackle on Kenny Brommich...He fair dinkum smashed him less than 10m out from our tryline. In years gone by that would have been a turnstyle try.
Rowdy has been strong this year. His butterfingers seem to be fixed and he is playing with purpose, running straight and hard.
Kevvy has been caught out of position a couple of times but there is definite improvement there. He is holding the line and reading the attack better.

These three have let us down a lot over the past couple of years and their improvement is a sign of the attitude changes this club is going through. With this squad it seems you are only a couple of poor games away from relegation. It is the sort of pressure most of our long termers have never dealt with and so far they are reacting very favourably to it. The staff did a great job over summer.

Tiger Ted

Bench
How was Brooksey's tackle on Kenny Brommich...He fair dinkum smashed him less than 10m out from our tryline. In years gone by that would have been a turnstyle try.
Rowdy has been strong this year. His butterfingers seem to be fixed and he is playing with purpose, running straight and hard.
Kevvy has been caught out of position a couple of times but there is definite improvement there. He is holding the line and reading the attack better.

These three have let us down a lot over the past couple of years and their improvement is a sign of the attitude changes this club is going through. With this squad it seems you are only a couple of poor games away from relegation. It is the sort of pressure most of our long termers have never dealt with and so far they are reacting very favourably to it. The staff did a great job over summer.
IC’s recruiting of experienced tough principled & humble players is a masterstroke !

f**k u Shazza Woods turdesco & the spineless tanker.

WT Unity

Juniors
What win! When you think about the penalty count and the underlying "tone" of the refereeing, which to me, highlighted their usual predisposition toward the favorites, the superstar big names, the 300 game big occasion and their fear of officiating over the upset....well we really can count this victory amongst our best ever. I thought Benji was terrific, I thought Elijah was fantastic, I thought Brooks was good and showing signs of improvement...all the forwards aimed up....Goginet threw a couple of bad passes but played tuff. I thought it was MWZ's best game for us so far...Masters could be anything and Corey Thompson won't....but he is a tuff player who is committed and devoid of ego and gives us 100% so hats off to him. Ivan handled the press conf with an astute calmness and Packer might just be the type of leader that Woods could only ever dream of being!
PS - I do recognise that Billy Slater is an all time great....but f**k I loved watching him have a shocker on his 300th - Farkin suck that up Billy!

stryker

First Grade
IC’s recruiting of experienced tough principled & humble players is a masterstroke !

f**k u Shazza Woods turdesco & the spineless tanker.
Dont forget Suemanufagai. He shat on the club when he left too in the media.

2141 fella

Juniors
Beepbeepmotherfxxkers.
Brooksy was huge.
Mats was a beast.
Benji was amazing.
Packer and Eiso and Twal were all strong.
Aloia was great.
Thompson was elusive.
Malakia was good.
Kevvie played well.
Godinet was quick, threw a couple of poor passes.
Chrissy was strong.
Esan played his heart out.
We did not have a weak link, we played as a team and defended like beasts. How long since we’ve said any of that about our team ?
How good is this ?
It’s Saturday night, but after that win, the mrs has the night off from her wifely duties.
Beep beep

stryker

First Grade
One thing that surprised me reading the team stats was that Packer and Matulino did not crack it for 100 meters combined - that is not a great return from our international experienced starting props. Will watch them closer next week but that must improve. Our two inexperienced guys on the bench individualy scored better and always do.

Clifferd

Coach
One thing that surprised me reading the team stats was that Packer and Matulino did not crack it for 100 meters combined - that is not a great return from our international experienced starting props. Will watch them closer next week but that must improve. Our two inexperienced guys on the bench individualy scored better and always do.

I think you’ll find when Packer and Matulino were on the field we defended a shit ton. They have huge tackle numbers

But yeah, that would probably explain the poor running metres

stryker

First Grade
I think you’ll find when Packer and Matulino were on the field we defended a shit ton. They have huge tackle numbers

But yeah, that would probably explain the poor running metres
I wouldnt say huge, they are decent numbers. Benefit of the doubt but gotta say i want my starting props returning better figures moving forward.

Clifferd

Coach
I wouldnt say huge, they are decent numbers. Benefit of the doubt but gotta say i want my starting props returning better figures moving forward.

Can only get better from here . One thing for sure is I love the added aggression they bring & watching mats actually drive blokes into the turf sure is a heck of a lot better than watching Shazza arm grab from previous years

Das Hassler

Bench
Farah? Pretty handy captain a few years back

No ...i disagree ...great 9 for many years but he wasn't the captain needed when the side would hit the wall ...he mostly gave it all himself but standing under the posts staring at the ground just didn't get it done....the players said ( and he admitted ) that he would just go into a bad mood and was unapproachable sometimes for days after a loss....that's not a captain you want when the going gets tough ( even though he was)

Tiger Ted

Bench
First real captain(s) we've had since Brett H and Scotty Prince....weve been rudderless ever since
Worst captain we’ve had-Shazza the bogan with no gumption Woods ! We’ve gone from the cellar to the penthouse in a short period of time.Thanks to the dogs for taking this over-rated imbecile off our books.

Das Hassler

Bench
They're probably atracking these first 5 weeks as a mini finals series and i'm sure they can stay focused for this initial tough period whether they win anymore of these "top 4" games or not...the real test for the season will be the attitude when they start playing the taildraggers....that will tell us where we're really at this year

Vozzy

Juniors
I'm just happy that Woods, Klemmer and Jackson were well betten by Roosters and Storms pack of forwards yet our so called lesser pack wasn't. Our bench was great today our starting pack tackles their butts off the Eisenhuth and Twal make the metres. I know some didn't have great metres but they did a lot of defending. Also when the opposition Kicks it our back 4 all take hit ups leaving room in the tank for our forwards to tackle. Our set of six working out of trouble looks like this
Thompson kick return, Nofo hit up, Marsters hit up and offload to MWZ(off his wing looking for work) , kevvy hit up another Nofo hit up.

When we start a set from a penalty then our forwards hit it up.