What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 20 vs Roosters @ Allianz Stadium

Who will win? Round 20: Roosters v Knights

• Sydney Roosters 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney Roosters 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burwood

Bench
Ideally, Meaney should get one or two runs just to give him a taste and motivate him over the preseason. There's no real need to give him any more game time than that.

One thing I notice about Ross is that he is always sniffing around the ball-he's never too far away looking for an opportunity. It puts the defence into two frames of mind because he is always a chance of getting the ball and creating something. You just don't notice that with Elliott- he comes across as much more passive, although defensively he has the goods.

Fingers crossed Ponga next year can bring the full package to the position- it's something we've been missing since Boyd was here, and for many years before him.

Ideally, Meaney should get one or two runs just to give him a taste and motivate him over the preseason. There's no real need to give him any more game time than that.

One thing I notice about Ross is that he is always sniffing around the ball-he's never too far away looking for an opportunity. It puts the defence into two frames of mind because he is always a chance of getting the ball and creating something. You just don't notice that with Elliott- he comes across as much more passive, although defensively he has the goods.

Fingers crossed Ponga next year can bring the full package to the position- it's something we've been missing since Boyd was here, and for many years before him.
Agree totally. Elliot seems passive but is solid. Especially solid under the high ball and when he drops back he's usually the one to take it.

I was surprised to see Ross up in the line in defence near our own line. He did then drop back a little when he saw where the ball was going but he was still shallow. It would have been a major effort to cover anything that got through.
Times and approaches have changed a lot since I was a kid playing.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Agree totally. Elliot seems passive but is solid. Especially solid under the high ball and when he drops back he's usually the one to take it.

I was surprised to see Ross up in the line in defence near our own line. He did then drop back a little when he saw where the ball was going but he was still shallow. It would have been a major effort to cover anything that got through.
Times and approaches have changed a lot since I was a kid playing.

Fox sports were talking about billy slater yesterday and they showed some footage of how slater slotted in around the a and b defender spots on his own line then when the ball shifted he sprinted across to clean up the kick in the in goal. They were saying that most clubs when doing video training for their fullbacks will show lots of video of slater.

Not sure if this is something we have done with Ross, just interesting you bought it up because it's what slater does.

Old dog

Juniors
I I think Meaney deserves a crack at f/b in 1sts has been really good in reserves, also think Ross is better on wing, means dropping someone, possibly Chanel if his injury is effecting him. If up to me it would be Gagai

Zoidberg

First Grade
I've noticed that about Slater, he moves so quickly he can get to the ball pretty quick even if he starts the play in the defensive line.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Ponga is a basket case in defence but all NYC players are. It'll take him at least year or 2 playing back there before he earns his money. Good investment though would've been even better if you could develop him on the wing first but times are tough.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Would not say basket case. But has some to learn. A good coach focused on a plan on pre season will improve hom massively.

Old dog

Juniors
All the more reason to give Meaney a run for last 3-4 games, he might be needed next season.
We have basically got by this season without a fullback