What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Roosters @ Allianz Stadium

Who will win? Round 3: Roosters v Knights

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aqua_duck

Coach
Moga and Ross are on completely different wave lengths. Ross is way too eager to be in field in both attack and defence, he needs to be hugging that sideline not standing 10m in field. Moga needs to look before he passes, maybe when he was at the Broncos he'd built up an understanding with Corey Oates where he knew Oates would be in his outside but he can't just assume Ross will always be.
Overall we seem to play way too flat which puts the receiver under immediate pressure and gives players no time

Spot On

Coach
I don't know why Ross is getting a free pass from everyone...probably because he's "Tha Rossdawg", but he was out of position all night tonight, in attack and defense

There's no hiding it. He's definitely not in good form and looks a midget up against the bigger wingers.

Swarzey

Bench
Moga and Ross is my only negative takeaway. Their combination is awful, awful timing and communication. I get Moga did little preseason training but I wouldn't have expected it to be this bad.

Overall, it just wasn't our night. Where we sucked tonight, we sucked last week and the week before except we just faced a side that's punished us for it. Some of their tries were arsey as f**k and at least one had a hair length in it, maybe two. We didn't have the luck, nothing came off and we shot ourselves in the foot far too often. It sucks, really sucks but we have a squad that we know can and will be better. Tonight was likely our worst performance of the year; I don't see too many nights being possibly worse.

Spot On

Coach
So many areas to work on and improve and I'm confident they'll get there.

However, greater line speed and more agression is needed. The twins in particular can surely carry the ball with more agression and hit harder more often in defence. We really need that from them more often.

Noname36

First Grade
The most annoying thing with Moga is that given the size of him he should be destroying blokes but he's soft and lazy and seems to have a pea for a brain.

I can cop that a player isn't very good. We're used to that. But when they have the potential to be great but don't use it, that's when I get frustrated

He and Ross are certainly not on the same wavelength - Ross should have absolutely been up there in support, but given the rest of Moga's performance he probably didn't have the right to be barking at Ross too much.

I even look at last week when Ross was out jumped by Rapana - Moga just stood there. He could have at least run in in case the ball was dropped. I think he got away with it last week because Ponga made him look so good in attack and he was playing a back rower out of position.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
The most annoying thing with Moga is that given the size of him he should be destroying blokes but he's soft and lazy and seems to have a pea for a brain.

We’ve got a habit of persisting with players like that for far too long.

Dave_

Juniors
I turned it off with about half hour to go when I knew a hiding was imminent (I never stay and watch us get smashed) and whilst I was pissed off, I was understanding of the reality that this is a far better start to the season than what any of us could've hoped for back 6 or 7 months ago.

I also take solace in the fact that the Rorters got babied by the officials (as per usual) and got all the 50/50 calls yet we didn't give up. I can't remember a worse start to a season for the officials and that's saying something.

Ill discipline is our biggest issue and that's tough because we actually need to be better in this aspect than other teams just to get the same treatment they do because we are viewed so unfavourably due to our past sh*tness.

The Scum of the League did have too much class tonight (as they should with an unlimited cap) but honestly, I wouldn't trade their spine for ours. All we need is more game time together and to teach Monga how to pass. Whilst on the topic of passing, who the f**k taught Griffin how to provide service at D/H? Travis Waddell? That little pause before he gives it is absolutely infuriating and destabilising to the attack.

All in all, I think our boys will learn from that one and at least we know that if all is fair and well that we'll finish above the Rorters after they're inevitably busted for the biggest cap rort of all time.

aqua_duck

Coach
Moga seems to be trying too hard to make things happen, he needs to be told to just tuck it under his arm and run hard unless there's a clear overlap. Ross tries hard but he's not in the same class as the top tier guys. It's a shame Nick Meaney is injured because I think he could easily challenge for Rossy's wing spot

Frederick

Staff member
So many areas to work on and improve and I'm confident they'll get there.

However, greater line speed and more agression is needed. The twins in particular can surely carry the ball with more agression and hit harder more often in defence. We really need that from them more often.
I do worry about the twins. They have all the size in the world, but seem to be moving in slow motion. I'm not sure if it's because they've just got a long stride and cover longer distances in fewer steps, or if they really just are (dare I say) plodding their way to the defensive line. I could forgive the slowness if they offered something else like aggression in defense or a handy offload to create some second phase play, but they don't.

I see other teams with players like TPJ, Junior Paulo, NAS...all big boys who run launch themselves at defense's at a million miles an hour, sting in defense and dish out offloads on a regular basis, and I think to myself "why can't our players do that?"

Frederick

Staff member
I turned it off with about half hour to go when I knew a hiding was imminent (I never stay and watch us get smashed) and whilst I was pissed off, I was understanding of the reality that this is a far better start to the season than what any of us could've hoped for back 6 or 7 months ago.

I also take solace in the fact that the Rorters got babied by the officials (as per usual) and got all the 50/50 calls yet we didn't give up. I can't remember a worse start to a season for the officials and that's saying something.

Ill discipline is our biggest issue and that's tough because we actually need to be better in this aspect than other teams just to get the same treatment they do because we are viewed so unfavourably due to our past sh*tness.

The Scum of the League did have too much class tonight (as they should with an unlimited cap) but honestly, I wouldn't trade their spine for ours. All we need is more game time together and to teach Monga how to pass. Whilst on the topic of passing, who the f**k taught Griffin how to provide service at D/H? Travis Waddell? That little pause before he gives it is absolutely infuriating and destabilising to the attack.

All in all, I think our boys will learn from that one and at least we know that if all is fair and well that we'll finish above the Rorters after they're inevitably busted for the biggest cap rort of all time.
On Griffin, yes his passing from dummy half isn't the fastest, but it's highly accurate. Every pass lands on the chest of its intended receiver

Dave_

Juniors
On Griffin, yes his passing from dummy half isn't the fastest, but it's highly accurate. Every pass lands on the chest of its intended receiver
Absolutely, there's no issue with his precision. Shouldn't be either as he takes an age

Burns

First Grade
Browny says that Connor Watson may need shoulder surgery, looking at 12 weeks out

Noname36

First Grade
On a positive note though: Jeez even in a beaten side Ponga is impressive. What a star. Brown just needs to make sure everyone is up with him all the time because every time he touches the ball something seems to happen.

Our support play across the park needs to improve though - I do agree with whoever mentioned the loss of Watson impacting this as he's really great in support play.

Latest posts