What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs Eels @ ANZ Stadium

Who will win? Round 8: Eels v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2018 - Round 8
Parramatta Eels v Wests Tigers
ANZ Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park (TICKETS)
Sunday 29 April 2018

Gates 2:45pm / NRL 4:10pm

TL-PAR18.png

1. Clint Gutherson 2. Bevan French 3. Michael Jennings 4. Brad Takairangi 5. George Jennings 6. Corey Norman 7. Mitchell Moses 8. Daniel Alvaro 9. Kaysa Pritchard 10. Suaia Matagi 11. Manu Ma'u 12. Tony Williams 13. Peni Terepo
Interchange: 14. Will Smith 15. Kenny Edwards 16. David Gower 17. Tim Mannah 18. Tepai Moeroa 19. Kane Evans 20. Josh Hoffman 21. Cameron King

TL-WST18.png

1. Corey Thompson 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Esan Marsters 4. Kevin Naiqama 5. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak 6. Benji Marshall 7. Luke Brooks 8. Matt Eisenhuth 9. Jacob Liddle 10. Ben Matulino 11. Chris Lawrence 12. Robert Rochow 13. Elijah Taylor
Interchange: 14. Pita Godinet 15. Josh Aloiai 16. Michael Chee Kam 17. Sauaso Sue 18. Tim Grant 19. Chris McQueen 20. Tyson Gamble 21. Mahe Fonua

REF-RED-1000px_1.jpg

Referees: Matt Cecchin, Phil Henderson
Sideline Officials: Chris Sutton, Grant Atkins
Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Ben Galea

Feeder team matches
EELS (NSWRL - Wentworthville) & WESTS TIGERS (NSWRL - Wests Magpies)
SUN
Eels / Wenty v Wests Tigers / Magpies @ Ringrose Park, Flegg 1pm / ISP 3pm​

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigerm

First Grade
I think we will take them, but wont be as easy as last game, with Brooks MOM.
Its a strange draw, where we will have played 2 teams twice already in 8 games.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I can’t think of a more braindead amateurish pathetic organisation than the NRL hierarchy.The fact that the ignorant gump P.Beattie was appointed as chairman of the commission demonstrates the appalling judgement of the decision makers.

So in 8 rounds in a comp with 16 teams we would’ve played 6 teams instead of 8.U wouldnt dream this level of stupidity !

I can’t think of a more braindead amateurish pathetic organisation than the NRL hierarchy.
But Greenberg knows it all, he is responsible for everyone running every department within the NRL, it's laughable.

Clifferd

Coach
When Tim Mannah can make the NSWRL Team of the Week, even as a reserve, You'd have to say, Manly were terrible.

Agreed, and I don’t even know why. Manly are easily a top 8 team on paper, there is definitely something fishy going on there

Making Mannah look like Artie Beetson would be an all time low

simmo1

First Grade
I can’t think of a more braindead amateurish pathetic organisation than the NRL hierarchy.The fact that the ignorant gump P.Beattie was appointed as chairman of the commission demonstrates the appalling judgement of the decision makers.

So in 8 rounds in a comp with 16 teams we would’ve played 6 teams instead of 8.U wouldnt dream this level of stupidity !

Parra will have played 4 teams twice by round 9. The NRL are f**king hopeless.

Parra will have played 4 teams twice by round 9. The NRL are f**king hopeless.

It has been bad for years now it just getting even more out of hand,it’s as if the NRL are taking the piss and don’t give a rats about an uneven playing field or what the fans want.

Tigerm

First Grade
From Fox sport:

TIGERS

Chris Lawrence — Hamstring — Round 8

Josh Reynolds shoulder — Round 11-13

Russell Packer — Knee — Round 10

Elijah Taylor — Concussion — Round 8

BrotherJim05

Bench
From Fox sport:

TIGERS

Chris Lawrence — Hamstring — Round 8

Josh Reynolds shoulder — Round 11-13

Russell Packer — Knee — Round 10

Elijah Taylor — Concussion — Round 8

Lawrence will be a big boost. His combination with Brooks has been outstanding and I'm thinking Brooks draws a lot of confidence playing next to him. Hopefully the hamstring doesn't impede Lawrence's form

magpie_man

Juniors
I view last week as almost like the loss that we needed to have; it keeps the team honest, hungry and humble.
I think someone mentioned it another thread, but Cleary kinda got outfoxed by Brown - the Knights had a plan and exposed our right edge defense badly. The scoreline should've really been a lot less flattering if it wasn't for some wayward goal-kicking from Ponga.
That 10-minute sweet spot was sublime however and shows that we really do have the ability to put on some points.
Whilst I don't think he's entirely to blame, I expect Nofa to be back in Cup this week with perhaps Fonua getting his Grade debut for us.
Having Lawrence back is a big plus, hopefully ET is ok too, albeit it wasn't the best game from him against the Newks.
I also think Sue will be back in Cup with Aloiai going back to the middle this week, which should tighten defense up around the ruck (it'd be great to have Packer back though). Pearce's try strolling through the middle was appalling and very un-2018 Tigers.

Tigerm

First Grade
I view last week as almost like the loss that we needed to have; it keeps the team honest, hungry and humble.
I think someone mentioned it another thread, but Cleary kinda got outfoxed by Brown - the Knights had a plan and exposed our right edge defense badly. The scoreline should've really been a lot less flattering if it wasn't for some wayward goal-kicking from Ponga.
That 10-minute sweet spot was sublime however and shows that we really do have the ability to put on some points.
Whilst I don't think he's entirely to blame, I expect Nofa to be back in Cup this week with perhaps Fonua getting his Grade debut for us.
Having Lawrence back is a big plus, hopefully ET is ok too, albeit it wasn't the best game from him against the Newks.
I also think Sue will be back in Cup with Aloiai going back to the middle this week, which should tighten defense up around the ruck (it'd be great to have Packer back though). Pearce's try strolling through the middle was appalling and very un-2018 Tigers.
I was thinking Nofo and Thompson swap positions, as Nofo's run meters are fantastic, but I agree with you that Fonua deserves his chance as well. Though a bit concerned about his size, especially with Thompson being small as well.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Wing is a real issue for us.Nofo is a noted dunce in defence Fonua is vulnerable under highball & has question marks re his defence & MWZ is shiite & should b nothing more than a depth player.

The dilemma we have is that Thompson is both our best winger & fullback.

We need to recruit a quality fullback & winger for ‘19.I know we r chasing Mansour but have a feeling he will go to parra.

Clifferd

Coach
MAnsour is cooked. Ever since that knee injury he hasn’t been the same, still would be a great buy if came cheap though.

Tiger Ted

Bench
MAnsour is cooked. Ever since that knee injury he hasn’t been the same, still would be a great buy if came cheap though.
I don’t agree.He is still a sublime winger.Ive watched most Penrith games this yr & his contribution & impact have been top-drawer.He’d b one of the 1st picked by Fittler if he was available for origin.

One things for certain an elite winger like Mansour won’t come cheap.The fact that he has a cheekbone injury & not a recurrence of knee means his mkt value won’t b adversely affected.

Anyway our reality is we r glaringly weak on the wings & the knights shrewdly exploited this weakness.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Eels: 1 Clint Gutherson (c), 2 Bevan French, 3 Michael Jennings, 4 Brad Takairangi, 5 George Jennings, 6 Corey Norman, 7 Mitchell Moses, 8 Daniel Alvaro, 9 Kaysa Pritchard, 10 Suaia Matagi, 11 Manu Ma'u, 12 Tony Williams, 13 Peni Terepo
Interchange: 14 Will Smith, 15 Kenny Edwards, 16 David Gower, 17 Tim Mannah (c)
Reserves: 18 Tepai Moeroa, 19 Kane Evans, 20 Josh Hoffman, 21 Cameron King

Bevan French returns from a shoulder injury to replace Jarryd Hayne (hip, 4 weeks) on the wing in the only change to last week's winning team. Lock Nathan Brown remains unavailable with an ankle injury.

Wests Tigers: 1 Corey Thompson, 2 David Nofoaluma, 3 Esan Marsters, 4 Kevin Naiqama, 5 Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, 6 Benji Marshall (c), 7 Luke Brooks, 8 Matthew Eisenhuth, 9 Jacob Liddle, 10 Ben Matulino, 11 Chris Lawrence, 12 Robbie Rochow, 13 Elijah Taylor (c)
Interchange: 14 Pita Godinet, 15 Josh Aloiai, 16 Michael Chee-Kam, 17 Sauaso Sue
Reserves: 18 Tim Grant, 19 Chris McQueen, 20 Tyson Gamble, 21 Mahe Fonua

Chris Lawrence returns from a hamstring injury, pushing Josh Aloiai to the bench. Alex Twal drops out of the team.