What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs Eels @ ANZ Stadium

Who will win? Round 8: Eels v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Old Timer

Coach
I thought you guys really got the bushy end of the pineapple from the ref's today.
A blatant forward pass in 1 of the Eels tries and a they got a couple of penalties that were downright soft and in fact 100% incorrect.
Keep your heads up, you've got a great coach and a good squad and you will win plenty more games before this year is out.

Old Timer

Coach
What's everyones thoughts on the crash ball to Lawrence play that we seem to go to a fair bit.
Lawrence is 1 tough boy and draws a few people to him, so it is the next play after his hit up that you need to improve.
A couple of times today you should have got a penalty from that play as they certainly slowed the ruck down and prevented a quick play the ball but the refs seem to have gone soft cock on that this round.

Das Hassler

Bench
Lawrence is 1 tough boy and draws a few people to him, so it is the next play after his hit up that you need to improve.
A couple of times today you should have got a penalty from that play as they certainly slowed the ruck down and prevented a quick play the ball but the refs seem to have gone soft c**k on that this round.

Not to mention the seemingly dearly departed foot on the ball blitz..parra forwards were continually rolling it thru helping their quick play the balls

wittyfan

Referee
Db8k7ktVMAA0BLa.jpg:large

Tigerm

First Grade
On the up side, I thought the backs did OK, Thompson has to be the buy of the year. Naiqama & Brooks defence has improved tremendously from last year. Fonua is worth some more NRL time. Marsters kicking is really good. Lawrence was great.
On the down side, still not convinced on Godinet, Liddle needs more minutes. Aloiai just isn't improving, it was probably Rochow's worst effort for us.
Though, I don't believe it is panic stations yet, we all would have accepted a 5-3 game results at the start of the year. Still feel top 8 is our mark and top 4 is not off the agenda.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think we went okay.

The positives to me were Fonua, Thompson & Masters. The negatives were our pack basically didn't do the job, our halves didn't perform up to the required standard and the dumb plays which killed us (drop balls & dumb penalties).

I think we really need some help in the forwards but I think Packer, Twal and ET coming back will make a difference.

I think the halves didn't really fire. They weren't bad and the pack didn't cut it out there so I don't think we need to worry about them too much.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Tigers finding out the real cost of success: Cleary
By Matt Encarnacion
30 April 2018 — 8:27am

Tigers coach Ivan Cleary admits his team are quickly realising the cost of their renaissance as an NRL force this year following their frustrating two-point loss to Parramatta on Sunday.

The Tigers held the lead on three occasions at ANZ Stadium but allowed the Eels back into the contest with a series of turnovers and penalties before eventually falling 24-22.

"It was a frustrating game to watch. I don't normally get that frustrated, but tonight was frustrating. We just didn't get any rhythm pretty much the whole game," Cleary said.

"Any time we got some ascendancy, we just give it straight back with either an error or penalty or something. It just went like that the whole game and then the clock ran out."

It was the first time this year the Tigers has suffered back-to-back defeats, and resulted in them dropping out of the top four for the first time in a month.

However, Cleary believes there is a silver lining in their sudden downturn in form, which has come without injured marquee signings Russell Packer and Josh Reynolds.

While adamant his team have rapidly grown in confidence on both sides of the ball this year, they're learning the consequences of failing to consistently re-produce their efforts.

For the first time this year, he conceded the club hadn't planned for their early-season achievements.

"It might be just dealing with a bit of success, probably more than we envisaged," Cleary said.

"When you've got the ascendancy, you've got to be better at it. We're obviously a learning team and still growing. Tonight's another one of those.

"I feel like the confidence in the team's growing, in terms of what sort of football we can play. We've just got to learn to basically do that once we're actually in control."

AAP

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...l-cost-of-success-cleary-20180430-p4zcdf.html

BrotherJim05

Bench
It was a very frustrating game, but to say that we are back to the Tigers of old is completely laughable. We have lost 3 games this year, all by 2 points, 1 by a Ref blunder, 1 by a fluke last minute try, and 1 by us completely switching off.

I'm kind of glad that we have been beaten these last two games. Its a slap in the face to players starting to get complacent and expecting to win. I'm confident we can bounce back from this

magpie_man

Juniors
Yeah, I've cooled off a bit now after a coupla good night's sleep - man I was ropeable Sunday evening.
W5-L3 with the losses all being by less than 2 points, I'll take that.
We were we're sorely missing Packer, Twal and ET, and Grub too - Benji is starting to struggle, he needs a break from Grade.

Rabbits20

Immortal
If we lose this we won’t deserve to make the 8.

They r shithouse & wouldn’t have beaten anyone else last wk except for the manly rabble.We have improved rapidly have been super competitive in all our matches.Weve lost 2 matches 1 due to an epic refereeing blunder & the other at the death in a game we were nowhere near our best in.

We will win this by 10-20pts.
Righteo:)

simmo1

First Grade
Yeah, I've cooled off a bit now after a coupla good night's sleep - man I was ropeable Sunday evening.
W5-L3 with the losses all being by less than 2 points, I'll take that.
We were we're sorely missing Packer, Twal and ET, and Grub too - Benji is starting to struggle, he needs a break from Grade.

Yeah I was pissed at the loss on Sunday, but after thinking about it, all most Tigers supporters wanted at the beginning of the season was to be competitive in every game, which we have done.

Lost a couple of arm wrestles, but also won some too. Could easily be sitting on 6 or 7 wins, but just as easily been on 2 or 3 if the Roosters and Storm games went the other way.

Still yet to play many of the dregs (Dogs, Titans, Raiders etc) so we're still well placed.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yeah I was pissed at the loss on Sunday, but after thinking about it, all most Tigers supporters wanted at the beginning of the season was to be competitive in every game, which we have done.

Lost a couple of arm wrestles, but also won some too. Could easily be sitting on 6 or 7 wins, but just as easily been on 2 or 3 if the Roosters and Storm games went the other way.

Still yet to play many of the dregs (Dogs, Titans, Raiders etc) so we're still well placed.
Who’s to say those teams will still b the dregs by the time we play them.We may have had 2 close losses in recent weeks but we got progressively worse.Parra r absolutely dreadful yet we did everything to gift the rabble a valuable 2 pts.We must bounce back in Auckland or our position in 8 will begin to look very precarious.There r some good teams who r finding their rhythm behind us on the table.

The worry is that some of our old habits were resurrected on Sunday; piss weak defence close to our line(right side was horrendous) forwards not playing direct enough(Packer & twals absence r obvious) shit kicking game(in particular mindless 3rd tackle kicks & poor kicks giving parra 7 tackle restarts) woeful ball control(rowdy Aloai rochow.,,)!

Geez I hope that kicking game by Brooks at brookvale wasn’t an aberration as it’s gone into hibernation the last fortnite.

Playing with heart but no brains at the moment. Aloiai with two critical knock ons and too many piggy back penalties. Benji kicking on the 3rd for some unknown reason.

Benji has always had that element in his game where he will do a stupid pass or ordinary kick when the best option would be to take the tackle for the team.

Latest posts