What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 9 vs Titans @ Cbus Super Stadium

Who will win? Round 9: Titans v Knights

• Gold Coast Titans 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gold Coast Titans 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alex28

Coach
Brown isn't going to get punted. He's come here to do a job, and he is only part of the way there. He (and Mooney) are correcting all of the wrongs that have occurred pretty much since Joey retired - all of the overpaid deadwood, all of the quick fixes - and are working towards the sustainability we need for the longer term.

We knew it was going to be like this. We knew that there would be a few seasons to go through to get through to the other side. There will be a bit more pain to come.

The reality is that for dollars spent on salary we've done pretty well to only have two blowouts. Our whole salary on the field might have been paid for in double Hayne's salary?

mozza91

Coach
Christ Brown really has had the most blessed run of any coach in Rugby League history hasn't he? He's been in control of this team for 18 months and they are in a much, much worse position than when he took over (see 8 wins in a season in 2015 compared to 1 last year and likely 1 this year). The effort today was a total disgrace, this team would struggle to make the semi finals in NSW Cup yet for some reason we as fans are supposed to be content with these terrible performances because apparently the team is brave and having a dig.

I'm sorry but that excuse no longer flies. Our recruitment for 2018 has stagnated and now we're looking at signing a total spastic like SKD and Brown is trying to jusify it as a key signing because he and Mooney are incapable of signing any decent First Grade talent. We are a total laughing stock and have been for a long time. Brown sees totally impervious to this and seems almost content with our current situation.

Alex28

Coach
Christ Brown really has had the most blessed run of any coach in Rugby League history hasn't he? He's been in control of this team for 18 months and they are in a much, much worse position than when he took over (see 8 wins in a season in 2015 compared to 1 last year and likely 1 this year). The effort today was a total disgrace, this team would struggle to make the semi finals in NSW Cup yet for some reason we as fans are supposed to be content with these terrible performances because apparently the team is brave and having a dig.

I'm sorry but that excuse no longer flies. Our recruitment for 2018 has stagnated and now we're looking at signing a total spastic like SKD and Brown is trying to jusify it as a key signing because he and Mooney are incapable of signing any decent First Grade talent. We are a total laughing stock and have been for a long time. Brown sees totally impervious to this and seems almost content with our current situation.
So who runs the show, how are they going to do a better job and how long do they get to continue to fix the situation before you run out of patience before you call for them to get sacked?

It's the equivalent of calling for the conditioners to get sacked because we get some injuries.

Are you the new Ian of the forum?

Apey

Staff member
I am not convinced anyone we could land would do a better job, whatsoever. That's the worry. Are there any other coaches out there dealing with a nsw cup standard roster or have a magical power that makes players want to play under them in Newcastle of all places. Bennett... and probably Bellamy. Hah.

Swarzey

Bench
Here's the argument killer: Not a single coach available is going to have any greater success - with this squad, with recruiting anyone - than Brown. And we're in zero position to nab anyone else from any other club. I would be amazed if someone can come up with a counter argument to that which isn't emotion filled dribble of high expectations and..well.."magic beans".

Club can only persist in signing players and hope that someone lands. 26 was the oldest in our side today; I mean f**k me, we're literally a bunch of kids running around there trying to compete with blokes with 100+ games, Origin and National rep honours every week. Missing Buhrer and Barnett this week really didn't make life easier and won't until R14. We blast the possible signing of SKD but is there anyone else coming off contract better? There really isn't and we're not exactly a club that can convince big name players to break the final year of their contract.

Shit sucks, maybe we're treading water, but it's all we can do until something goes our way; Wests taking control, signing Tolman or Graham or both or whatever.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors

You do realise that most of our players are nsw cup standard at the most and that is all they will ever be? No amount of coaching will ever get a lot of these guys competing at NRL level. It's not the coaches or the players fault.

The only fact of this matter is, that we do not have players capable of NRL football.

I do not understand why people aren't seeing this point.

No coach in the world could coach a NSW cup team off the bottom of the ladder in the NRL competition

Alex28

Coach
So no answers to my hypotheticals?
There is a pretty good commentary about how long are Knights fans going to remain patient with the rebuild and are they going to hang around.

I think that people are pretty unrealistic about exactly how shit the situation was that Bennett left us in, and how long it would take the club to change it properly.

It's a long game we have to play. Brown is doing a decent job. The young blokes look miles better than they did with little experience around them for guidance.

Parramatta is a prime example around not rebuilding properly after you lose your once-in-a-lifetime dominant team. I believe the club is trying to set us up for the future rather than trying for a series of quick fixes that ultimately don't work.

Pedge1971

First Grade
So, a hypotheitcal question for all the emos in here - yes Slots, especially you.

Now that Brown has done all the 'easy' work (because it's easy to get rid of the deadwood some would say) and we have a treasure chest of cash waiting to be spent, IF (remember this is hypothetical) Brown was to be sacked tomorrow, how long would the emos in this thread give the new coach to buy quality recruits (unless the emos are happy with buying shit) and turn the ship around before going all emo again???? Please, think carefully and be honest. I'm very interested in hearing ALL your opinions to that question.

The second hypothetical question I would like answered by the emotional ones is.... what do you consider a successful turnaround by the new coach???

For the record, I'm in agreeance with most of JM's posts so I'm not going to repeat what he has said but maybe I also have too much faith???

3rd question: who would you sign that you think would actually be able to sign all these wonderful player Brown cannot and have a reserve grade on half cap winning 6 or 7 games with a massive injury toll?

Spot On

Coach
I'm guessing there will be very few answers/suggestions to the questions asked.

Much easier to tear it all down and criticise.

Knight76

Juniors
Jeezus that was tough to watch live. Big ups to all you fellas that have been getting to home games every few weeks to watch this shambles over the last 24 months. Any more than one game a year would break me

<snip>

They are clearly giving everything they have.

That's what makes me keep going!

Caped Crusader

Juniors

You do realise we lost 8 of our starting 2015 side, all before Brown took over.

Comparing 2015 to 2016 is massively unfair on Brown as he inherited half a football team for 2016 and then had to cut the over priced plodders too.

I'm as sick of losing as anyone but anyone with 2 eyes can see this pain was necessary and pretty unavoidable. 2018 is make or break time

mozza91

Coach
You do realise we lost 8 of our starting 2015 side, all before Brown took over.

Comparing 2015 to 2016 is massively unfair on Brown as he inherited half a football team for 2016 and then had to cut the over priced plodders too.

I'm as sick of losing as anyone but anyone with 2 eyes can see this pain was necessary and pretty unavoidable. 2018 is make or break time
Admittedly what I said came after a few drinks but I stand by it. I don't think he should be sacked either to be honest mostly because there is nobody to replace him.
He seems to be saying the right things but isn't doing alot to improve our performances or future situation. That 2nd half Saturday was a bad as anything we threw out in 2016. Sure our roster is terrible but it is a roster he's partly assembled. He got rid of plenty and has signed a fair few too. We're a year and half in and he needs to start winning otherwise we won't be signing anyone.

The Tigers signing Reynolds, Mautlino and apparently Packer within a week or so of losing their stars is a bitter pill to swallow aswell considering we've had all year with a heap money and have got nothing.

mozza91

Coach
I wouldn't want Reynolds Mataulino or packer.
Reynolds is massive upgrade on our current half options and the other 2 are miles ahead of any of our front rowers. But I'm not saying we should've signed any of them it was in reference to Wests being proactive and filling the spots where they're lacking. It's good efficient recruitment.

I know we're after Graham and he'd be top shelf signing but we need players around him. We need a half desperately and we're no chance of getting Foran it would seem. Lolehea has been playing reserve grade in NZ, is a very talented player and is aware that he needs to head elsewhere. We could get him right now fairly cheap and it's a low risk, high reward signing imo. We'd look more dangerous instantly with him at pivot. If we can't get superstars we have to get someone because it's obvious our current players aren't up to it.

Last edited:

TooheysNew

Coach
T
Admittedly what I said came after a few drinks but I stand by it. I don't think he should be sacked either to be honest mostly because there is nobody to replace him.
He seems to be saying the right things but isn't doing alot to improve our performances or future situation. That 2nd half Saturday was a bad as anything we threw out in 2016. Sure our roster is terrible but it is a roster he's partly assembled. He got rid of plenty and has signed a fair few too. We're a year and half in and he needs to start winning otherwise we won't be signing anyone.

The Tigers signing Reynolds, Mautlino and apparently Packer within a week or so of losing their stars is a bitter pill to swallow aswell considering we've had all year with a heap money and have got nothing.
The blokes he signed are sitting on the sideline injured. That isn't Brown's fault.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Reynolds is massive upgrade on our current half options and the other 2 are miles ahead of any of our front rowers. But I'm not saying we should've signed any of them it was in reference to Wests being proactive and filling the spots where they're lacking. It's good efficient recruitment.

I know we're after Graham and he'd be top shelf signing but we need players around him. We need a half desperately and we're no chance of getting Foran it would seem. Lolehea has been playing reserve grade in NZ, is a very talented player and is aware that he needs to head elsewhere. We could get him right now fairly cheap and it's a low risk, high reward signing imo. We'd look more dangerous instantly with him at pivot. If we can't get superstars we have to get someone because it's obvious our current players aren't up to it.

We are interested in lolohea

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/f938c9bc3aef10af1922d40e050df3c7

Apey

Staff member
Reynolds is massive upgrade on our current half options and the other 2 are miles ahead of any of our front rowers.

I don't think Packer would come back here, Matulino is better for sure however wasn't there some injury concerns with him? After Plodkinson I can't blame the club for being wary. Josh Reynolds I would take.

I think the problem is all about paying overs. We'd have to pay overs for anyone so they want it to be top players or kids with shitloads of potential. If we pay overs for someone who's not going to make a big enough difference compared to his pay packet we'll just end up in shit creek again. I'm not really sure what they should do short of a miracle. I agree we need to make some immediate signings to get off the bottom of the ladder and make the club more appealing to others. I think that's what the point of the Barnett, Buhrer and Kostjasyn signings were. Unfortunately they're all injured right now... Maybe the club feels like they have enough of those types of players already, idk.

I'm not sure on signing someone just because they are better than what we have. We need to think long term.
I'd support short term signings with the prospect of the player proving themselves and maybe getting a longer term spot as long as we get that player now.

Latest posts