What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Thread v Wigan

Weaponhead

Coach
This kind of attitude and the apparent similar attitude from our players on the field demanding a fair shake is curious. The game was in England, organised by the English RFL, against an English team, with an English referee on an English field. If you didn't expect the poms to stack the fixture as much in their favour as is humanly possible you're pretty naive.
The fact that our players didnt have the mental strength to deal with the situation and get the job done would be the focus for Flange. Looked like some ordinary attitudes on display.

carcharias

Immortal
Different rules are different rules
But some of those calls were pathetic.

It seemed like every 3 mins he was blowing a penalty that 3 minutes earlier wasn't a penalty.

Craigshark

First Grade
The refereeing was an absolute joke. But there's no excuse, we were shocking. I have no idea how a team that just won a competition can go out and drop the ball as much as an under 7's side. It was so frustrating to watch.

Do you think Townsend would realise by the 15th time he hit Lewis and that they were reading it every time, that maybe just maybe it might be an idea to go out the back just once. Very frustrating game.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Just my two bob's worth....I don't think we lost because of a poor attitude or lack of effort but rather really poor execution. While we were comprehensively outplayed by Wigan there was a number of contributing factors imo. Greasy and cold conditions were far more suitable to the poms as did a really skinny 10 yards which stifled both attacks. From memory the video ref was used 5 times for three green lights for Wigan and two red lights for the Sharks. While I don't necessarily think any of these decisions were incorrect - luck generally wasn't on our side in regards to close calls. We were missing the strikepower that contributed over 50 tries to our tally last year. That combined with a 13-7 penalty count severely hampered our attacking chances. Finally the upsides were getting through a pretty rugged game relatively unscathed and I thought Brailey showed he has a good pass from dummy half and was solid in defence for his first game.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I didn't bother reading the whole thread after 8 pages of absolute dribble.

So tell me, does anyone here want to keep any of the 2016 GRAND FINAL WINNING TEAM?

FMD, so much bloodshed and suicidality over a glorified trial.

One thing though. You all know I'm not the biggest Mr Squiggle fan but he suffered the exact same fate a million other Sharks centres before him have suffered. A rank amateur, L Plate winger outside him who had NO CLUE where to be in defence. Bird was defending 2 positions with a dicky arm. Ramien was awful. Capewell was horrid but Loots coped better - probably because they attacked away from his side and worked the novice side of Squiggle/Noodle.

Windy70

Juniors
Will wait and see what we have against the Broncs in rd 1. Hopefully a few wake up calls came from that game.

carcharias

Immortal
I didn't bother reading the whole thread after 8 pages of absolute dribble.

So tell me, does anyone here want to keep any of the 2016 GRAND FINAL WINNING TEAM?

FMD, so much bloodshed and suicidality over a glorified trial.

One thing though. You all know I'm not the biggest Mr Squiggle fan but he suffered the exact same fate a million other Sharks centres before him have suffered. A rank amateur, L Plate winger outside him who had NO CLUE where to be in defence. Bird was defending 2 positions with a dicky arm. Ramien was awful. Capewell was horrid but Loots coped better - probably because they attacked away from his side and worked the novice side of Squiggle/Noodle.

I agree but Bird also had some shockers that had nothing to do with anyone else.
That kick return was his worst effort in a sharks jersey.
Cruised around in goal ...he had more than enough time to get out.
Then threw the worst pass he's ever thrown straight into the post.
Lucky capewell got a foot to it.

jc155776

Coach
A trial loss and fans are out for blood already.

This is awesome.

Just like the old days and as if we didn't even win a Comp five months ago for some fans haha.

Wrist slit away.

Special K

Coach
The ref was shocking. That knock on call from the Gallen offload was so bad. As was the penalty against Graham for the facial, the Lewis "mid air" tackle. Chad gets one on the jaw, play on. Just a rubbish performance from the ref, following it on twitter the UK fans were embarrassed.

Anyway Brailey was good and Beale played his best game for us. When Bird has a bad day defensively, he is shocking. I'm not fussed. Hopefully this pushes the club to sign Seggy and Edrick Lee.

carcharias

Immortal
A trial loss and fans are out for blood already.

This is awesome.

Just like the old days and as if we didn't even win a Comp five months ago for some fans haha.

Wrist slit away.

It was more than a trial.

They went all the way over there to play a once in a lifetime game .
Plenty of fans spent up big to get there too.

They played shit
Some new guys yeah
But a few of the experienced fellas were noticeably off.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I agree but Bird also had some shockers that had nothing to do with anyone else.
That kick return was his worst effort in a sharks jersey.
Cruised around in goal ...he had more than enough time to get out.
Then threw the worst pass he's ever thrown straight into the post.
Lucky capewell got a foot to it.

Well Bird does that. Been saying it for years. He's got all that sheet in his game week in and week out. Gets covered up by the bells and whistles and better performances around him. Gets overhyped because of that but keen observers see the deficiencies. Wigan coach is clearly one of those.

Geez this kills me but the team needs Humphrey back in ASAP. There was no doubt in the minds of Wigan in that game. The doubt used to come from Barbs.

Card Shark

Immortal
We got dudded, we plays like shit but as far as going B2B, it's probably best that we lost.

Out goes any complacency.

Frenzy is right about the Bird Ramien side in defence. There didnt seem to be unity there. I think Burgess's speed might have been a bit of an eye opener for young Jessie. Coz that fella can far can fly.

sandshark

Bench
Can't get over what that ref said to one of our players after that winger offside bull shit.
"That might ok over in the NRL but that ain't how we do it here" or some shit like that.
It's like they want the world to laugh at them and their handicap rules!

txta2

Bench
After watching the Broncos game it's clear Flanno didn't. The flat style and rushing defence ruffled both the Aussie teams. The ref was a disgrace and the game was a stitch up . No wonder other teams dont want to go over. The team as a whole were on holidays and it got to their heads

Chimp

Bench
The ref just simply didn't control the ruck or the 10m. In the last 20 when Wigan were clinging on, he was only taking them back about 6 or 7 meters, and then whenever we got a quick PTB, he'd just let the full defensive line be offside, and not only by a couple of steps, there were stages where the whole defensive line was about 3 meters in front of him..

Card Shark

Immortal
Just my two bob's worth....I don't think we lost because of a poor attitude or lack of effort but rather really poor execution. While we were comprehensively outplayed by Wigan there was a number of contributing factors imo. Greasy and cold conditions were far more suitable to the poms as did a really skinny 10 yards which stifled both attacks. From memory the video ref was used 5 times for three green lights for Wigan and two red lights for the Sharks. While I don't necessarily think any of these decisions were incorrect - luck generally wasn't on our side in regards to close calls. We were missing the strikepower that contributed over 50 tries to our tally last year. That combined with a 13-7 penalty count severely hampered our attacking chances. Finally the upsides were getting through a pretty rugged game relatively unscathed and I thought Brailey showed he has a good pass from dummy half and was solid in defence for his first game.

Well said 12. We didn't handle the dodgy ref too well. I'm sure Flanno would've warned them but we still let it get to us & we became frustrated. Too be honest, I can't blame them for that.

His decisions were weird but we see that every time we watch these games.

shaggs

Coach
It took a few weeks int the season for us to execute properly last year too.

Anyone remember manly at brookvale? Cows at rowwnscille.?
Even the win against the drags wasn't that great.

I reckon we didn't put it together and look good until about round 7.

Wins can hide a multitude of issues. Even during the streak, we played tough and did enough to win, some games we were ugly but still scored.
Kinda like carch on Thursdays.

betcats

Referee
Can't get over what that ref said to one of our players after that winger offside bull shit.
"That might ok over in the NRL but that ain't how we do it here" or some shit like that.
It's like they want the world to laugh at them and their handicap rules!

Its the international rule I believe.

Latest posts