What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty re-signs until end of 2019

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I believe that Millward needs to sign some class recruits for 2018/19. At least one class prop and a pacy
centre/winger need to be recruited. Few class backs have come through the system the exceptions being Aitken, Dufty and Lomax. We have hsd a lot of disappointing wingers such as Carr, Glymin, Porter and Thompson who all fell far short of the mark. We would be lucky to get one good back through the system once per year. The same would apply to the forwards.

Gareth67

First Grade
We must sign Dufty long term as he would be up there with our top tier fullbacks such as Langlands,

Mate there no doubt the Dragons need to extend the young chaps contract , but to put him up there with Langlands is , well a little bit premature at this stage of his career . Lord Ted Goodwin would perhaps be a better comparison , as he was also hot and cold .

blacksafake

First Grade
We must sign Dufty long term as he would be up there with our top tier fullbacks such as Langlands,
Not having a go at you DR but Dufty & Langlands in the same sentence i can't agree with.Changa will always be our greatest fullback & is one of the greatest players in the last 50 years.As Gareth said a much better comparison would be more like Lord Ted.Anyway i agree about him signing a new contract.

There will be a lot of clubs throwing some serious cash at him on just what he has shown so far, I’d get in early and extend or we will be out bid.

Sure, he’s got a long way to go and a lot to learn, but he’s capable of doing that.
You can’t teach speed an vision.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Sir Gareth I prematurely sent the email and was going to include Langlands, Graham, Goodwin, Johnson, Boyd and Brett Morris. I would currently rate Dufty at the next level down from these players. Dufty should have been given a go a year earlier and this has stifled his development. He has a phenomenal try scoring ability not seen since the days of Eddie
Lumsden, Reg Gasnier, Johnny King, Steve Morris, Nathan
Blacklock and Brett Morris who all scored tries every 1-2 games.

watatank

Coach
I think the way the club and Dufty are handling things is just about right. As for the future, the club might want to keep him long term at this point but Dufty is going to want to back himself. It could work in Dufty's favour, could also backfire, time will tell.

Gareth67

First Grade
Sir Gareth I prematurely sent the email and was going to include Langlands, Graham, Goodwin, Johnson, Boyd and Brett Morris. I would currently rate Dufty at the next level down from these players. Dufty should have been given a go a year earlier and this has stifled his development. He has a phenomenal try scoring ability not seen since the days of Eddie
Lumsden, Reg Gasnier, Johnny King, Steve Morris, Nathan
Blacklock and Brett Morris who all scored tries every 1-2 games.

Sir Gareth ? :joy: Dragon Revival it's been a hell of a long time since anyone has called or addressed me as ' Sir ' - still it's nice to see that I am not the only member that possesses some good old fashioned courtesy .

But back to the young bloke , bud I agree with you as Duffy does indeed needs to be resigned , the other players as you have said were all top flight fulbacks/ wingers and given time , I am sure that Matt Duffy will be there with them , with the possible exception of Langlands , the mould was broken when he was made .

And Dennis Preston was also a favourite of mine , he knew how to kick , from memory I believe that he and Erric Simms fought out the award for top point scorer for a number of years .

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
I cant imagine either party would want to extend his contract at this stage. And TBH, as awesome as he is playing, I can't think off too many clubs who will be keen to throw massive dollars at him, considering the calibre of some fullbacks running around.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I cant imagine either party would want to extend his contract at this stage. And TBH, as awesome as he is playing, I can't think off too many clubs who will be keen to throw massive dollars at him, considering the calibre of some fullbacks running around.
Melbourne could be looking for a replacement for Slater or move Munster back to fullback, which I think is his best position.

Nth Qld could be looking for a new fullback. I have read that Holmes may be on their radar.

Wests may be looking at signing a new fullback. I have read that they may be interested in Barba, Holmes and Mbye.

Gold Coast could be in the market for a good fullback.

If Canterbury let go of Mbye, then they will be in the market for a fullback.

Cronulla could be in the market for good fullback.

ALSGI

Bench
A couple of Dufty’s try’s have been top shelf and unforgetable individual efforts. His involvement in the team try and kick for Widdop was perfect.

He’s shown more than enough of what he can do and will do.

Extend him now, lock him in I say.

Dufty has unlimited attacking potential with ball in hand.

Langlands as a cover defender and front on defender was fearless and super effective.

Remember many time watching him dive full length to smash wingers over the sideline.

Langlands telepathic communication with Smithy on passes and kicks were the stuff of legends.

He was a leader in every sense of the word.

I wish the kid every success going forward.

At this stage of his career I cannot suggest Dufty is in the same class as Langlands.

For me he was truly immortal.

possm

Coach
Dufty has unlimited attacking potential with ball in hand.

Langlands as a cover defender and front on defender was fearless and super effective.

Remember many time watching him dive full length to smash wingers over the sideline.

Langlands telepathic communication with Smithy on passes and kicks were the stuff of legends.

He was a leader in every sense of the word.

I wish the kid every success going forward.

At this stage of his career I cannot suggest Dufty is in the same class as Langlands.

For me he was truly immortal.

Changa also had a deceptive step off both the right and left foot and a turn of speed that left many defender grasping in mid air. He is one of my all time favourite Dragons. If I were to pick any Dragon since then that has the potential to emulate his skills it would be Zac Lomax. Yes I know he is untried and has a long way to go but just the same, he is a kid with a lot of potential and so it would not surprise me if he one day represented at the highest level.

Como Connection

First Grade
Changa also had a deceptive step off both the right and left foot and a turn of speed that left many defender grasping in mid air. He is one of my all time favourite Dragons. If I were to pick any Dragon since then that has the potential to emulate his skills it would be Zac Lomax. Yes I know he is untried and has a long way to go but just the same, he is a kid with a lot of potential and so it would not surprise me if he one day represented at the highest level.
Very big call.
CC

The calm one

Juniors
There will be a lot of clubs throwing some serious cash at him on just what he has shown so far, I’d get in early and extend or we will be out bid.

Sure, he’s got a long way to go and a lot to learn, but he’s capable of doing that.
You can’t teach speed an vision.
You can’t get in early. His manager won’t let him

The calm one

Juniors
Melbourne could be looking for a replacement for Slater or move Munster back to fullback, which I think is his best position.

Nth Qld could be looking for a new fullback. I have read that Holmes may be on their radar.

Wests may be looking at signing a new fullback. I have read that they may be interested in Barba, Holmes and Mbye.

Canterbury haven’t got the money to buy a packet of chips at the Reject Shop

BennyV

Referee
To my knowledge, the coach's salary is part of the salary cap, unless they recently adjusted the rules.
This has never been the case. Salary cap is for players only.

All of these are possibilities, but considering the other options (at each club and also on the market by 2019) and his current lack of experience and deficiencies in his game, none of these clubs are likely to break the bank for Dufty. I wouldn’t go extending him until at least the end of this year, if not next year.