What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty re-signs until end of 2019

Carlton

Juniors
The one year deal was done for two reasons.
One so that the club can see how well he handles the rigors of nrl.
And to see how the other contenders are going ( Field masters ect).
And also salary cap changes in 2019.
Imo.
Good thinking by recruitment.

Also it stops other clubs approaching him this year so that we can assess how he's going and potentially give him an upgraded contract later this year if its justified.

I think what it does say is that the club see a lot of potential in Dufty but they have some serious doubts still. This is a key position and this approach is astonishingly logical for our club to be adopting.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
Great news to see one of our top notch juniors recognized.

I really do hope he gets a proper opportunity to show us his full repertoire and become a fixture at the back of the dragons for years to come.

No doubt he has all the skills, but have a lingering doubt on his size and yep, I know this point gets regular airplay, but in an era of 100kg wingers and 110kg+ back rowers who can both run a 100 in a tick over 10seconds his body and technique will get tested week in week out.

Hope he proves my doubts unfounded big time!

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2018: Matt Dufty shocked by swift St George Illawarra Dragons extension
  • Matt Encarnacion

Speed demon Matt Dufty admits being surprised by St George Illawarra's own swiftness in handing him a contract extension that keeps him at the club until the end of 2019.

Just over a month from the start of the upcoming season, the Dragons on Thursday announced an added year to their current deal with the promising fullback.

1517446873969.jpg

Over the moon: Matt Dufty. Photo: Adam McLean

A relieved Dufty feared he would have had to prove his ability through this season and revealed he had scanned the competition for opportunities to play his favoured position.

"When they come up to me and said they wanted to extend me for another year I was obviously pretty happy because looking at all the other clubs, definitely at the Dragons is the best opportunity to play regular first grade," Dufty said on Thursday.

"Obviously I wanted to stay because I've been here my whole rugby league career and I was just over the moon when we finally got it done."

The 22-year-old said the upgraded contract took some pressure off a campaign he thought he would have to worry about earning a new deal.

He was initially due to come off contract after this season.

"I wasn't thinking about extending, I was just thinking about getting through pre-season and having a good year and then talk to them about it," Dufty said.

"But when they came to me, obviously I was pretty excited to get it done. Eventually we did.

"It takes a lot of pressure off focusing on playing good footy because I think if you're too focused on your form, then you probably won't play that good.

"But if you just focus on going out there and playing footy, then good things happen."

Dufty also suggested his possible inclusion - as well as that of big-money recruit Ben Hunt - resulted in a change in attacking philosophy over the summer.

There was much consternation last year over the club's decision to move Kangaroos and NSW State of Origin star Josh Dugan from fullback to centres, before his release to Cronulla.

"(Coach Paul McGregor) changed the game plan a little because we've got me and (Jai Field) there who are pretty much the same player," Dufty said.

"We're both quick and got good passing skills so I think playing with Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop there, they've got great skills as well so I think the game plan is all coming pretty good."

Dufty's new deal leaves McGregor with a relatively settled squad heading into the new season, with only regular starters Jason Nightingale and Leeson Ah Mau off-contract.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...awarra-dragons-extension-20180201-h0rqdj.html

denis preston

First Grade

I really do hope he gets a proper opportunity to show us his full repertoire and become a fixture at the back of the dragons for years to come.

No doubt he has all the skills, but have a lingering doubt on his size and yep, I know this point gets regular airplay, but in an era of 100kg wingers and 110kg+ back rowers who can both run a 100 in a tick over 10seconds his body and technique will get tested week in week out.

Come on, 110k and run 100 metres in 10 sec ??? Don't think so. There is about 10 players in the whole comp who have a bit of size and pace but Dufty has whats rarer , acceleration . McDonald has pace but it takes him 30 metres to get the motor going !

denis preston

First Grade
Also it stops other clubs approaching him this year so that we can assess how he's going and potentially give him an upgraded contract later this year if its justified.

I think what it does say is that the club see a lot of potential in Dufty but they have some serious doubts still. This is a key position and this approach is astonishingly logical for our club to be adopting.

I look at it another way Carlton. Yes the club would acknowledge that there were certain areas Dufty needed to improve on ( Physical, positional , defense & organisational ) but a contract extension right in the middle of the preseason would suggest that he has addressed some of those concerns , wouldn't you think ?

Carlton

Juniors
I look at it another way Carlton. Yes the club would acknowledge that there were certain areas Dufty needed to improve on ( Physical, positional , defense & organisational ) but a contract extension right in the middle of the preseason would suggest that he has addressed some of those concerns , wouldn't you think ?

I dont disagree with you Denis. What I was saying was that it looked like the club had some serious concerns about his long term future as fullback because of some of the issues you mention. That is why he was only signed till the end of 2018. The problem with this is that other clubs can approach him this year. I think he has addressed some of the things that were causing concern but I dont think that the club is totally convinced he is the long term future at fullback yet. Based on this they have extended him one year giving them time to workout whether he can be that long term answer and stave off other clubs approaching him while they make the assessment.

I think Dufty has a heap of potential, I wasn't as impressed with his 1st grade performance as a lot of other people were, I think he had a number of things to work on, I think he is taking steps forward and has drive. I dont think he is the long term answer for fullback yet, he may get there, he's getting closer and I hope he does.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints can't sign every player for 3-4 year contracts because in 3-4 years the will all come off contract and last thing you want is spending a whole season trying to re-sign your whole squad of top line players. You will have Dogs, Bronco's and Roosters all throwing big dollars and then the players leaving so they need to spread it out so every year they only have to worry about 2-3 players to re-sign.

possm

Coach
Saints can't sign every player for 3-4 year contracts because in 3-4 years the will all come off contract and last thing you want is spending a whole season trying to re-sign your whole squad of top line players. You will have Dogs, Bronco's and Roosters all throwing big dollars and then the players leaving so they need to spread it out so every year they only have to worry about 2-3 players to re-sign.

I know we won't be able to sign all of our young guns however, I hope we are able to sign the best of our young guns.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
Come on, 110k and run 100 metres in 10 sec ??? Don't think so. There is about 10 players in the whole comp who have a bit of size and pace but Dufty has whats rarer , acceleration . McDonald has pace but it takes him 30 metres to get the motor going !

The "110kg and 100 in a tick over 10" was for a bit of emphasis re the question I have around Dufty's size DB and not to be taken literally, altho I would question that the NRL only has 10 players of size and pace??

I am a Dufty fan but the point I was alluding to is that he will need to deal with the likes of Vunivalu, Radradra, Cordner and their ilk when they break into the clear, hit top speed and he is the last man.

I dont question his skills, acceleration, committment etc etc ......it was just concern about the physics!!

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
The "110kg and 100 in a tick over 10" was for a bit of emphasis re the question I have around Dufty's size DB and not to be taken literally, altho I would question that the NRL only has 10 players of size and pace??

I am a Dufty fan but the point I was alluding to is that he will need to deal with the likes of Vunivalu, Radradra, Cordner and their ilk when they break into the clear, hit top speed and he is the last man.

I dont question his skills, acceleration, committment etc etc ......it was just concern about the physics!!

Sorry .....meant DP

Weipa Dragon

Juniors

I hear what you are saying with the size of wingers but the great fullbacks recently have been very small in billy slater, Matt Bowen and Lachlan Coote. Even Ben barba is pretty small and did defend well. In fact the last few premiers have had the small fullback. If they get their technique right, they should be fine.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I hear what you are saying with the size of wingers but the great fullbacks recently have been very small in billy slater, Matt Bowen and Lachlan Coote. Even Ben barba is pretty small and did defend well. In fact the last few premiers have had the small fullback. If they get their technique right, they should be fine.
Well one things for sure MATT would have a better chance of rounding them up than most especially Jason Nightingale .......or even MANN .............

Seoul Dragon

Juniors

Good point WD and well illustrated.
Let's hope Dufty can join their ranks!

saintm

Juniors
I think the one year extension is a great move. Takes contract talks out of the picture this year.
Agreed...However, most people are looking at from a clubs perspective.
Maybe... he was offer longer on an amount he wasn't happy to sign for. As mentioned early I think he is backing him self for a good year...ensuring a bigger and longer contract based on his performance.

giboz71

First Grade

It’s only an issue close to the line if he has to stop a guy from about 5m out. If we get our defensive structures right, he should never be isolated in this situation.

At least we know with Dufty if someone breaks the line in the open field, he has speed to round them up. Will take a pretty fast bloke to run around him. Assuming he has the right technique, he should have no problem bringing down bigger guys in most situations.

Latest posts