What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty re-signs until end of 2019

Life's Good

Coach
There were a couple of times Dufty threatened the line & I thought ‘he’s through’ but he was contained & couldn’t bust them.
IMO he is settling in well. Out of last nights game you could question his positioning when he got dragged back into the in goal but, to me, he was let down by the players near him who didn’t offer any help(think of Moylan snatching the ball out of, can’t remember who, at the other end.
Other than that the little brain explosion pass(the Feki run)will be a good lesson for him.
Definitely good to see him run on the kick return, that’s his confidence maker.

ALSGI

Bench
I liked Duges giving him a rap too, confirmed he was targeted by the Scum and did very well, looked threatening, saved Fifita from putting the ball down.
He’ll be a star for many more years - hopefully in the RedV.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dynamic Dufty only going to get better: McGregor
Author
Joel Gould
Timestamp
Sun 25 Mar 2018, 07:35 PM

Scintillating St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty is only going to get better, coach Paul McGregor insists after he took another dynamic step in his progression as a quality custodian.

In just his 10th game in the NRL the 22-year-old showed why McGregor has shown faith in him at the back with his two scintillating tries, speed and game awareness a highlight in the 54-8 Telstra Premiership thrashing of the Gold Coast Titans in Toowoomba.

McGregor said Dufty handled himself with aplomb under difficult circumstances the previous week but was able to showcase his all-round game against the Titans in a game that suited his undoubted natural talents.

"Through the week I thought Duff was up for a big game," McGregor said.

"He's certainly getting the boys' trust which is important for a young man and the more first grade he plays the more he'll improve.

"He got our splits right in defence and he's obviously very quick. Put him in that space and he knows how to finish.

"He is learning his trade and I think Duff had a real tough task last week [in the 20-16 win over Cronulla] and handled it really well under difficult conditions to what we saw today.

"Today was a nice open game of footy played in good weather on a fast field and that suits that style of player."

Dragons press conference

It is not often that a side can put 50 points on an opponent particularly after having just 10 on the board in the 30th minute, but the Dragons were able to put their foot on the floor and defend with gusto at the same time to secure top spot on the NRL ladder.

"It is great for our for-and-against and the nice thing there was that they only scored eight as well," McGregor said.

"We had a golden day and we defended OK, and certainly our kick/chase can improve going forward, but the boys have certainly done enough to enjoy that."

Dragons stay perfect in Toowoomba

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/25/dynamic-matt-dufty-only-going-to-get-better-paul-mcgregor/

Drag Queen

Bench
Dynamic Dufty only going to get better: McGregor
Author
Joel Gould
Timestamp
Sun 25 Mar 2018, 07:35 PM

Scintillating St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty is only going to get better, coach Paul McGregor insists after he took another dynamic step in his progression as a quality custodian.

In just his 10th game in the NRL the 22-year-old showed why McGregor has shown faith in him at the back with his two scintillating tries, speed and game awareness a highlight in the 54-8 Telstra Premiership thrashing of the Gold Coast Titans in Toowoomba.

McGregor said Dufty handled himself with aplomb under difficult circumstances the previous week but was able to showcase his all-round game against the Titans in a game that suited his undoubted natural talents.

"Through the week I thought Duff was up for a big game," McGregor said.

"He's certainly getting the boys' trust which is important for a young man and the more first grade he plays the more he'll improve.

"He got our splits right in defence and he's obviously very quick. Put him in that space and he knows how to finish.

"He is learning his trade and I think Duff had a real tough task last week [in the 20-16 win over Cronulla] and handled it really well under difficult conditions to what we saw today.

"Today was a nice open game of footy played in good weather on a fast field and that suits that style of player."

Dragons press conference

It is not often that a side can put 50 points on an opponent particularly after having just 10 on the board in the 30th minute, but the Dragons were able to put their foot on the floor and defend with gusto at the same time to secure top spot on the NRL ladder.

"It is great for our for-and-against and the nice thing there was that they only scored eight as well," McGregor said.

"We had a golden day and we defended OK, and certainly our kick/chase can improve going forward, but the boys have certainly done enough to enjoy that."

Dragons stay perfect in Toowoomba

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/25/dynamic-matt-dufty-only-going-to-get-better-paul-mcgregor/
Fair call. He did well today.

giboz71

First Grade
We’re only conceding 12 points a game which makes us 3rd best in the comp and we are also far and away the best attacking side.

I knew Dufty would improve our attack as he has more traditional fullback skills than Duges but he clearly hasn’t been a liability in defence either which is good to see given his perceived lack of size.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Dufty still remains a major risk under the high ball, and (sometimes) 'ball hogs'.

Other than than, he played well.

I don't understand why some continue to compare him with Dugan though - two different types of fullbacks with not the same strengths and weaknesses.

Any such comparison is 'apples and oranges'.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
Dufty still remains a major risk under the high ball, and (sometimes) 'ball hogs'.

I don't understand why some continue to compare him with Dugan though - two different types of fullbacks with not the same strengths and weaknesses.

Like a fine wine he will improve with age.Go Matt !!!:D

giboz71

First Grade

I’ve always argued that Dugan never had the skills to combine with the rest of his backline. Even when Nighty filled in at FB, the ball just moved better and didn’t stop.

Hence I said paying him close to 800k to stay was just nuts. The Sharks are now finding how stifling he can be, they are hardly an attacking force compared to when Barba was there.

Dufty is not the finished product by any means but given we are far and away the best attacking side in the comp right now and the 3rd best defence, Millward knew what he was doing.

ALSGI

Bench

I don’t think anyone’s comparing Dufty to a current Australian (Duges) rep.
The difference the rookie makes to the team is what’s being compared not individual strengths and weaknesses.

giboz71

First Grade
The difference the rookie makes to the team is what’s being compared not individual strengths and weaknesses.

Exactly mate. I’m glad someone gets it. The team functions much better with a guy like Dufty and his ceiling is much higher given he’s just a kid.

Plus he costs about 500k less.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

You haven't noticed the many posts that mention "upgrade" and "lack of passing skills" apropos these two?

Frank Facer

First Grade

The reason that we are comparing Dufty to Dugan, is because Dugan was our fullback for over 4 years and now Dufty is our fullback. lol It is an obvious comparison. It is a bit like us comparing Hunt to Mcrone.

I also said late last year after Dufty made him first grade debute, that I will start a thread sometime this season, with a poll asking who we would prefer at fullback, Dugan or Dufty. I was confident that Dufty will be a success and that after Dufty has time to find his feet in first grade that Dufty would receive more votes than Dugan.

There were some posters on this site who were not happy that we didn't re-sign Dugan. I wasn't one of them.

Bench
We need to give Dufty a new contract because you know that there will be teams wanting him.
Over to you Millward. Do your magic. Of course LAM needs to be signed up.

Drag Queen

Bench
The reason that we are comparing Dufty to Dugan, is because Dugan was our fullback for over 4 years and now Dufty is our fullback. lol It is an obvious comparison. It is a bit like us comparing Hunt to Mcrone.

I also said late last year after Dufty made him first grade debute, that I will start a thread sometime this season, with a poll asking who we would prefer at fullback, Dugan or Dufty. I was confident that Dufty will be a success and that after Dufty has time to find his feet in first grade that Dufty would receive more votes than Dugan.

There were some posters on this site who were not happy that we didn't re-sign Dugan. I wasn't one of them.
So it's a popularity contest Frank. This isn't Miss Universe mate.

Drag Queen

Bench

Didn't get to see it St Jimmy. It was Girdler that pointed out his weakness's pre game. I'm about to watch the actual game thanks to a good neighbour. Girdler still pointed out his weak spots though. I've promised that I won't bag him again. A hat-trick will do that to you. I'm not sure the Titans played very well according to Tallis and Girdler. By all accounts we are travelling nicely, but I'm not even 50% complacent at this point. Call me the glass half empty type:rolleyes:

Drag Queen

Bench
I know you were a Dugan fan. lol I also know that you have were skeptical about Dufty.
So what. I'm about to watch it Frank. I'm also a fan of Brett Morriss, Trent Merrin, Mitch Rein, Levi Dodd, Taane Milne, Shannon Wakeman, Adam Quinlan, Sammy Williams, Benji Marshall.. Shall I go on? Nope. Never a fan of Bird so that should make you happy. Whinging little shit. Also throw in Shaun Nona FYI. If you saw an earlier post I applauded Dufty and stated I wouldn't discuss him any further Frank.

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
You haven't noticed the many posts that mention "upgrade" and "lack of passing skills" apropos these two?
Ryan Girdler did mention this throughout the game. I've finally watched the game as I only heard it in the car. However, I have promised not to bag out Dufty on this forum. I will bite lengths off my tongue. PS you're right about McInnes.

Last edited:

Latest posts