What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MATT DUFTY v the doomsday brigade

possm

Coach
The cap went up by 2m not 1m.
We have replaced fringe first graders with junior upgrades at a saving.
Marshall left and not replaced but Vaughan bought and then upgraded to about 600k.
Upgrades would have cost more like 600k.
For 2018, Graham is being subsidised by the Dogs, costing us about 450k.
My best guess is we have about 700k left in our cap.
If Thompson and Macdonald are leaving, there is another 700k.
I'd day we still will have enough to buy two top first graders.

Mazzman

Juniors
Bigger problem could be the money owed to the NRL and what deal is in place to repay the loan. Next payment is due now, how does it effect our spending in 2018.

Yes I know everyone keeps saying it won't impact our salary cap position, but does that mean our management has to reduce it's costs and spending. Can anyone see that happening?

Mazzman

Juniors
Yes that's what I'm saying, so what's the plan to reduce the debt?
If plan A was WIN money, is there a plan B and what are details of that plan with the NRL.

Crush

Coach
The cap went up by 2m not 1m.
We have replaced fringe first graders with junior upgrades at a saving.
Marshall left and not replaced but Vaughan bought and then upgraded to about 600k.
Upgrades would have cost more like 600k.
For 2018, Graham is being subsidised by the Dogs, costing us about 450k.
My best guess is we have about 700k left in our cap.
If Thompson and Macdonald are leaving, there is another 700k.
I'd day we still will have enough to buy two top first graders.
I reckon we won't buy anymore first graders before 2018. I say we will keep Joel and Nene.
Just guessing though like everyone else is.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I reckon we won't buy anymore first graders before 2018. I say we will keep Joel and Nene.
Just guessing though like everyone else is.

I think your right.
However, I'd say Joel is about a 60% chance of going and it all depends on the goings-on with the Roosters. Nene, is really only a 10% chance of going. Unless he's broken some rule in his contract it would make no sense to sell him off with us picking up a majority of his salary foe the next 2 years. I think the Nene rumour is more to do with want rather than fact.
As Thommo is not involved in any International squad, I would expect him back to training next week. Nene won't return until January.
If both stay it leaves 1 spot left to fill the 30 and I agree it will be filled by either an up-and-coming player within our ranks or one from another club and I believe it will be a reserve back in the KFFL mould.

Carlton

Juniors
We have signed a long term halves combination but Dufty and McInnes are only contracted for 2018. Are they open to approaches from other clubs on 1st November?

If so are Dufty and McInnes in the long term plans or are they being used to fill positions pending getting the players they really want, maybe for 2019? It seems strange to have half of your spine bedded down and half in limbo, especially when you consider the money spent on Hunt and Widdop.

Other players ending in 2018 include Ah Mau, Kerr, Latimore (3 front rowers) Leilua, Thompson, Sele and Garrick, Herbert, Pereira and Nightingale. Maybe there are some longer term targets, throw in Agar and maybe the recruitment plan is looking to be completed for 2019.

PS: This is all speculation and trying to find something to look forward to in the off season and hoping for a brilliant masterplan to land us a premiership.

willzy91

Juniors
We have signed a long term halves combination but Dufty and McInnes are only contracted for 2018. Are they open to approaches from other clubs on 1st November?

If so are Dufty and McInnes in the long term plans or are they being used to fill positions pending getting the players they really want, maybe for 2019? It seems strange to have half of your spine bedded down and half in limbo, especially when you consider the money spent on Hunt and Widdop.

Other players ending in 2018 include Ah Mau, Kerr, Latimore (3 front rowers) Leilua, Thompson, Sele and Garrick, Herbert, Pereira and Nightingale. Maybe there are some longer term targets, throw in Agar and maybe the recruitment plan is looking to be completed for 2019.

PS: This is all speculation and trying to find something to look forward to in the off season and hoping for a brilliant masterplan to land us a premiership.

You make quite a good point, and looking at the players off contract for next season, you say that Dufty and McInnes will be resigned quite early in the season depending on their performances. Ah Mau will be given a new contract, they he could be looking for his last contract for his career, so like Thomo, Dugan & Packer th club allows them to look elsewhere for a large contract. The likes of Kerr, Leilua, Sele, Latimore, Garrick, Herbert & Pereira are all fringe reserve graders so their chances lye in their performances in reserve grade and any opportunity they get in first grade. As for Nightingale i’d 2019 will be his last year and he will retire, i just hope on good terms and he doesn’t get shafted by the club at all.

denis preston

First Grade
You make quite a good point, and looking at the players off contract for next season, you say that Dufty and McInnes will be resigned quite early in the season depending on their performances. Ah Mau will be given a new contract, they he could be looking for his last contract for his career, so like Thomo, Dugan & Packer th club allows them to look elsewhere for a large contract. The likes of Kerr, Leilua, Sele, Latimore, Garrick, Herbert & Pereira are all fringe reserve graders so their chances lye in their performances in reserve grade and any opportunity they get in first grade. As for Nightingale i’d 2019 will be his last year and he will retire, i just hope on good terms and he doesn’t get shafted by the club at all.
Nightingale 2019 !!! A bloke in a zimmer frame would pass him by by then ! Surely next year is his last. Will be interesting to see how he goes in the World cup , very interesting.

Carlton

Juniors

What I was actually trying to say is the club have put Dufty and McInnes in a position where other clubs can now approach them directly. I am not convinced that they will be resigned, I have a suspicion they may only be filling in for 2018 and that the club has identified other players as the long term solution.

Carlton

Juniors
Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, I was under the impression that it wasn't just players off contract that could be approached on 1st November but also players whose contract ends 2018.

Can someone please clarify this for me.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, I was under the impression that it wasn't just players off contract that could be approached on 1st November but also players whose contract ends 2018.

Can someone please clarify this for me.
I am pretty sure you are correct.

Como Connection

First Grade
What I was actually trying to say is the club have put Dufty and McInnes in a position where other clubs can now approach them directly. I am not convinced that they will be resigned, I have a suspicion they may only be filling in for 2018 and that the club has identified other players as the long term solution.
Like Kurt Mann for fullback!
That will do me.
CC

watatank

Coach

Both players, as well as anyone else contracted to the end of 2018 can be approached.

I just think the club wants to keep their options open and are happy to take the time before they need to make a call. Much depends on how the team starts next season.

saintm

Juniors
Both players, as well as anyone else contracted to the end of 2018 can be approached.

I just think the club wants to keep their options open and are happy to take the time before they need to make a call. Much depends on how the team starts next season.
Or maybe the players have already been approached... and are keeping their options open!

watatank

Coach
Yep. Looks like not signing anything is an arrangement that benefits both player and club. Interesting to see what happens over the first month or two in the season.