What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

getsmarty

Immortal
He wouldn't necessarily have a problem finding another club but it doesn't change what I said anyway. He would be stupid to leave anyway, he's in the type of situation that should help his development. He has a stable 6,7,9, not asked to do much and his position is safe for a while. He could leave but could easily move into a situation where he's one of many options, could be in and out of first grade, maybe end up on the outer like Bevan French at Parra (also was a highly regarded fullback, similar age as well).

Agree...biggest problem seems to be a lack of coaching....He will get better coaching elsewhere...

Until the Board does the right thing, we are stuck.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
So many players playing poorly. Who’s responsible for that ?
Front runners for the first quarter to half the season for past 3 years then fade out .Who’s responsible for that ?
Catastrophic fade out this year despite additions of Hunt and Graham. Who’s responsible for that?

Answer : the bald incompetent who if had any integrity would fall on his sword immediately. If only the Telecrap had a similar agenda to McJetski as they Gould.

getsmarty

Immortal
Wow.

Cheap penalties given away... Coaches fault.

School boy dropped balls... Coaches fault.

Basic defensive errors that weren't there a the start of the year... Coaches fault, he obviously has coached them to defend this way.

Bad attitude... Coaches fault.

To say responsibility falls on the coach and not the players too screams that someone has a mission to have someone's head chopped off.

Players aren't digging in. Players have believed in the "hoodoo". There could be off field shit going on too.

Players are playing soft. They need to apologize to all involved.

O.K ..lets say your right..please explain to me why we go on a losing steak every year that this coach has been in charge and we seemingly look as if we have no answers ?

This doesn't happen at any other side that is in the top 8 or biting at the heels of the Top 8...

Bad attitude is partly coaches responsibility...he prepares the team...

When did the coach last drop a player for attitude...wasn't that dugan last year for allegedly having an all nighter and missing the bus.?

I've seen enough over the last 4 1/2 years to see that the finger points directly at the coaching staff and more importantly the Board.

ozbuck

Juniors
O.K ..lets say your right..please explain to me why we go on a losing steak every year that this coach has been in charge and we seemingly look as if we have no answers ?

This doesn't happen at any other side that is in the top 8 or biting at the heels of the Top 8...

Bad attitude is partly coaches responsibility...he prepares the team...

When did the coach last drop a player for attitude...wasn't that dugan last year for allegedly having an all nighter and missing the bus.?

I've seen enough over the last 4 1/2 years to see that the finger points directly at the coaching staff and more importantly the Board.

It's mental. It's psychological. That's why the teams have faded out.. especially THIS YEAR. the previous years I believe part of it was mental but also that our teams overachieved early on in the year and then when teams amped up at the end of the year it made it even harder. This year the team is definitely up to standard to be top 6.

This year's fade is definitely a mental one. Same as when we faded out in the finals in 2009. Same as the cowboys have faded ALL YEAR this year.

Now people are going to say that it's up to the coach to fix that. That's partly true. But if the players aren't going to hold up their end of the bargain than it won't work. Cowboys players haven't held up their end of the bargain and it's plain to see.

This fade this year is not coach or players. It's coach AND players.

If the players turned up with the same mental mindset as they decided to when we played storm at kogarah we would probably win easily the last few games.

Some players are down on confidence. Some of their mental attitudes were thrown into earning rep jerseys. Some felt pinnacle of achievement with the SOO win.

They are not there mentally.

Now Mary could bring up some boys from reserves to play but they're going to be guppy fish. This current playing group has showed already they have the goods that can beat the best of the best. I think Mary is just hoping they click. After last night I think he realises how low their confidence really is now. He knows thay we'll be lucky to win another game this season.

This is bad situation.

But everyone is saying Mary is at the core of it.

The players listening to the outside noise, not trusting themselves, and not taking responsibility is more a problem for me.

getsmarty

Immortal
It's mental. It's psychological. That's why the teams have faded out.. especially THIS YEAR. the previous years I believe part of it was mental but also that our teams overachieved early on in the year and then when teams amped up at the end of the year it made it even harder. This year the team is definitely up to standard to be top 6.

This year's fade is definitely a mental one. Same as when we faded out in the finals in 2009. Same as the cowboys have faded ALL YEAR this year.

Now people are going to say that it's up to the coach to fix that. That's partly true. But if the players aren't going to hold up their end of the bargain than it won't work. Cowboys players haven't held up their end of the bargain and it's plain to see.

This fade this year is not coach or players. It's coach AND players.

If the players turned up with the same mental mindset as they decided to when we played storm at kogarah we would probably win easily the last few games.

Some players are down on confidence. Some of their mental attitudes were thrown into earning rep jerseys. Some felt pinnacle of achievement with the SOO win.

They are not there mentally.

Now Mary could bring up some boys from reserves to play but they're going to be guppy fish. This current playing group has showed already they have the goods that can beat the best of the best. I think Mary is just hoping they click. After last night I think he realises how low their confidence really is now. He knows thay we'll be lucky to win another game this season.

This is bad situation.

But everyone is saying Mary is at the core of it.

The players listening to the outside noise, not trusting themselves, and not taking responsibility is more a problem for me.

You have some valid points...but to be honest with you Mary can't fix this..proven by the fact he has been here since 2014 and hasn't been able to fix it...if that's the case he needs to be moved on...its plain as the nose on your face. ( players look tired because they haven't been given a rest...Falls on the coach...no confidence..again..coach...no variation in play..coach...inability to change game strategy when its not working..coach...this has been going on since 2014...)

If you are happy with the current coach and his staff then your entitled to your opinion.

I think you will find that the majority have had a gut-full.

We are the Dragons...we are legends of Australian sport...11 in a row... never will be done again..

How far do we have to fall...if it keeps going on like this we will soon be extinct...

we are a shell of the great club we used to be....We have the lowest Third Party in the comp...

The stench from the joint is pungent and yet people want to come on here and defend MEDIOCRITY.. ...

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
Yeah, he's nursing a dislocated shoulder.

Lol. Yeh fair enough.

But we’ve been shit and poorly led for about 6 weeks now. And as per usual when we’re slumping, Widdop’s been the first one to go missing.

getsmarty

Immortal
Lol. Yeh fair enough.

But we’ve been shit and poorly led for about 6 weeks now. And as per usual when we’re slumping, Widdop’s been the first one to go missing.

In all honesty respectfully disagree...Widdop won us the Parra game..He is usually one of our best players...have a look at the NRL points scoring board...he is not the fall guy...I'll give you a clue..Starts with M and ends in Y.

P.S on the telly today..Sterlo/Johns/Fittler etc all stated that we are cooked without Widdop...I think they know what they are talking about.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Lol. Yeh fair enough.

I wish it was that straight forward. The natural order usually involves the forwards going missing before the halves go missing. And prior to that, the coaching goes missing.

epDragon62

First Grade
In all honesty respectfully disagree...Widdop won us the Parra game..He is usually one of our best players...have a look at the NRL points scoring board...he is not the fall guy...I'll give you a clue..Starts with M and ends in Y.

P.S on the telly today..Sterlo/Johns/Fittler etc all stated that we are cooked without Widdop...I think they know what they are talking about.
On the telly right now: two well coached teams showing the difference to our crud.

FlameThrower

Bench
Dufty way down on early season form. His lack of conviction to catch the ball on the full and return and full pace really annoy’s me. That needs to be sorted in off season, if he is long term FB. A few extra kilos of muscle would not go astray also.
His defensive reads and position work are also areas to improve. I really think with correct attitude and coaching he can turn it around.
He needs to look at hours of video of Lauchlan Coote and Billy Slayter and model his FB style on those two IMO.
As someone posted the FB position is as important as the 6-7-9 now.

ozbuck

Juniors
You have some valid points...but to be honest with you Mary can't fix this..proven by the fact he has been here since 2014 and hasn't been able to fix it...if that's the case it he needs to be moved on...its plain as the nose on your face. ( players look tired because they haven't been given a rest...Falls on the coach...no confidence..again..coach...no variation in play..coach...inability to change game strategy when its not working..coach...this has been going on since 2014...)

If you are happy with the current coach and his staff then your entitled to your opinion.

I think you will find that the majority have had a gut-full.

We are the Dragons...we are legends of Australian sport...11 in a row... never will be done again..

How far do we have to fall...if it keeps going on like this we will soon be extinct...

we are a shell of the great club we used to be....We have the lowest Third Party in the comp...

The stench from the joint is pungent and yet people want to come on here and defend MEDIOCRITY.. ...

I'm not saying I want Mary as coach in 2019 after what's happened in the 2nd half of this year. If there is an option for a coach that has the goods, and not just taking 'any other' coach than I'm definitely open to it.

We may disagree a little here, but I think the physical fatigue people talk about is more a symptom of mental fatigue or weakness.

If Mary gets sacked this year I believe the players have a large responsibility of that happening due to not showing up. Now, you'll get many ppl saying 'well that's the coaches job to get them up for it'. The way Mary has spoken and the intent of focusing on standards and values inside the playing group I err on the side of thinking that he is holding his end of the bargain up and the players aren't. It takes two to dance, and many of these players are mentally not there because of xyz (reasons I mentioned in my precious post).

It's sad. And possibly there's some friction among a couple of players. Who knows. Probably not, but it's possible.

If players being mentally right was all on the coach than Mary was God for the first part of this year. The Storm game at Kogarah was a perfect example. You'd think he would know how to get the boys up mentally these days if that was the case, but truth is is that the players need to hold their end too. They were earlier this year. Now they're down on confidence and in a momentum... Momentum goes both ways, good and bad. We're in the bad momentum right now.

Paul green is a premiership winning coach. The crap the cowboys players have dished up this year not even a premiership coach can fix... I'm sure green is holding up his end up, the players aren't.

The players we have are generally mentally weak...except a few. One of those, Graham, showed almighty heart last night.

But 3 tries against us last week when dufty gets sinbinned, and then last night sinbinned too equals a try and a lot of tiredness due to defence.... That bs is out of a coaches hand

And don't get me started on our backs letting bombs go and not attempting to catch them. ..the stinks of confidence troubles, playing not to lose, attitude issues, and cracking under high pressure moments. Those moments are a reflection of the greater whole though: the team as a whole is struggling confidence wise.

getsmarty

Immortal
I'm not saying I want Mary as coach in 2019 after what's happened in the 2nd half of this year. If there is an option for a coach that has the goods, and not just taking 'any other' coach than I'm definitely open to it.

We may disagree a little here, but I think the physical fatigue people talk about is more a symptom of mental fatigue or weakness.

If Mary gets sacked this year I believe the players have a large responsibility of that happening due to not showing up. Now, you'll get many ppl saying 'well that's the coaches job to get them up for it'. The way Mary has spoken and the intent of focusing on standards and values inside the playing group I err on the side of thinking that he is holding his end of the bargain up and the players aren't. It takes two to dance, and many of these players are mentally not there because of xyz (reasons I mentioned in my precious post).

It's sad. And possibly there's some friction among a couple of players. Who knows. Probably not, but it's possible.

If players being mentally right was all on the coach than Mary was God for the first part of this year. The Storm game at Kogarah was a perfect example. You'd think he would know how to get the boys up mentally these days if that was the case, but truth is is that the players need to hold their end too. They were earlier this year. Now they're down on confidence and in a momentum... Momentum goes both ways, good and bad. We're in the bad momentum right now.

Paul green is a premiership winning coach. The crap the cowboys players have dished up this year not even a premiership coach can fix... I'm sure green is holding up his end up, the players aren't.

The players we have are generally mentally weak...except a few. One of those, Graham, showed almighty heart last night.

But 3 tries against us last week when dufty gets sinbinned, and then last night sinbinned too equals a try and a lot of tiredness due to defence.... That bs is out of a coaches hand

Again some good points ozbuck...for mine I have just had enough of the Mary experiment...we need someone external with experience..a high quality coach with the runs on the board..no more rookies or old boys. He has been here for 4 1/2 seasons....other clubs demand success..we are just seemingly happy to make up the numbers...

ozbuck

Juniors
Again some good points ozbuck...for mine I have just had enough of the Mary experiment...we need someone external with experience..a high quality coach with the runs on the board..no more rookies or old boys. He has been here for 4 1/2 seasons....other clubs demand success..we are just seemingly happy to make up the numbers...

Totally understand mate. I don't disagree at all.

Honestly, I can't see us winning another game this year based on the last month or so. Tigers are one of those games. If they win their other two they'll kick us out of the 8 it seems. If that happens, I can't see Mary being kept 100%

getsmarty

Immortal
Totally understand mate. I don't disagree at all.

Honestly, I can't see us winning another game this year based on the last month or so. Tigers are one of those games. If they win their other two they'll kick us out of the 8 it seems. If that happens, I can't see Mary being kept 100%

Agree mate..but honestly can't see them getting rid of him when he is still under contract next year...

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Dugan is awful, embarrassing for the sharks and a shit human, move on . Yeah dufty had a shocker but clearly his and the whole teams head space and Confidence is in the toilet.

After just watching Dugsn’s try where he carried three defenders over the line, I’d say with confidence that Cronulla fans would be very happy with him right now.

Notwithstanding Dufty, can our current wingers do the same thing?

Unlikely.

Latest posts