What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Gillett

Meth

Staff member
Seems a bit odd. He's a class player, but we have Thompson, Mannering and Hoffman- 3 players capable of playing big minutes. I can't imagine Gillett would come cheap

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Good luck to Gillett, hopefully this stunt manages to drive his price up to where he wants with the Broncos.

Interesting isn't it...very unlike a player to name drop a club like that when there's been no rumours as such (that I've heard of). Then Doyle denies they've spoken to him. Could well be a stunt. Pretty weak if so.

Benek

Juniors
I have a feeling 2017 is Mannering's last year with the Warriors (whether than means retirement or UK I don't know). Or possibly a deal to let Hoffman go early if we find a suitable replacement. Wouldn't mind Gillet as a replacement for either. Certainly offers a bit more on attack. But not holding my breath - sounds like he'd just trying to play the market a bit.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Interesting isn't it...very unlike a player to name drop a club like that when there's been no rumours as such (that I've heard of). Then Doyle denies they've spoken to him. Could well be a stunt. Pretty weak if so.

Doyle is sneaky. He made it clear he hadn't spoken with the "player". No doubt he's had a quiet word with the players agent though.

I just don't think if the negotations were all that serious we'd be hearing about them through the player on such a public platform. Given how JD does business, it seems a little too open and public for it to be more than a push for Gillett to get leverage for his Broncos deal.

Mannering, Thompson, Hoffman are 80 minute backrowers, adding another seems odd unless there's something else going on behind the scenes. There is concern about Hoffman according to a couple of others with connections.

I suppose the other thing to consider is we might be happy for Gillett to use us so we can use him to put pressure on someone we actually are trying to sign. Who knows.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It's a fallback option for him at the very best. You're right though, we never know the backroom scheming, wheeling and dealing that goes on. I'm not overly interested in someone that is not overly interested in coming, especially when we already have an 80-minute backrow trio.

Give us a prop Jim, give us a prop. Use this $600k kitty or whatever it is to get someone with a big motor, a big arse and a big ability to smash into defensive lines.

Meth

Staff member
Hoffman and Mannering are both on the decline, youd take Gillett and Thompson before the former 2 (imo...)

Mannering has been our best player this year and probably in the form of his career. Hoffman hasn't been at his best this season, but has been playing reasonably well of late- and his bad is still pretty classy. Thompson does some things well and some things not so well- he has impact that perhaps Mannering doesn't, but can miss a tackle and give away a penalty.

Also Lilyman is rumoured to be heading back to the Cowboys to finish his career as Tamous replacment.
If we Gillett then Hoff is gone

Blair

Coach
Players like Gillett are the type of players we should be aiming for though, big name players that are in their prime.

A '27 year old Kangaroo...'

spear tackle

Juniors
Mannering did publicly state a few seasons back that he wanted to retire from the game before he got too old and had no interest in moving clubs.

Latest posts