What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Prior

Vic Mackey

Referee
Seems a very Laurie Daley selection to me. Safe, tough, won’t let you down etc. Thing is we’ve been picking those types of guys for years and won sweet FA.

Mannah had something that at least came close to be called form before he got s call up. King just played for manly

I remember at the time Mannah and Kade Snowden got selected, I was saying how crap they were and they were just more shit NSW selections who wouldn't go on to have fruitful rep careers, and people shouted me down for it lol. Apparently they were in form at the time.

Lambretta

First Grade
I remember at the time Mannah and Kade Snowden got selected, I was saying how crap they were and they were just more shit NSW selections who wouldn't go on to have fruitful rep careers, and people shouted me down for it lol. Apparently they were in form at the time.

McLean, Fifita, Campbell-Gillard
When you're missing players of that quality, the next two or three available are not going to be in the top five players in their position

I am assuming that Mannah and Snowden were selected for similar reasons - actually probably because the best 5 props were Queenslanders and the next best 3 were Kiwis and NSW had four or five injuries - they suddenly get in

Mannah always struck me as one of those players fan of his club nominate because he's been solid for a while. Snowden promised more - then went to Newcastle

Lambretta

First Grade
Seems a very Laurie Daley selection to me. Safe, tough, won’t let you down etc. Thing is we’ve been picking those types of guys for years and won sweet FA.

Its bad policy to go with solid, safe, tough, won't let you down types when that's all you choose
To be fair to NSW they haven't had much OTHER than those types of players to choose from - but it's fine to pick those types of players when you pick them along side genuine talent

Queensland have had their fair share of dependable types - Dallas Johnson, Justin O'Neill, Aiden Guerra, Matt Gillet, Jacob Lillyman etc but they all shone because they were playing alongside the likes of Greg Inglis, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith & Billy Slater

Fittler was in a very talented Roosters team in the early 2000's - that team was chock full of talent but it included the highly capable Peter Cusack. He was one of those Mr turn up and get the job done with no fuss types and Fittler appreciates those type of players.

Prior will be there to do a job. He will get it done. Leave it to the others to shine.

Spot On

Coach

Which past NSW props eligible for selection would you put in the safe, tough, won't let you down categories?

Surely not Woods, Fifita or Tamou for starters?

typicalfan

Coach
Tough and reliable is more a Qld style pick. Adam Mogg, Tim Glasby, Jacob Lillyman etc. some of these tough and reliable relish the step up and play well. Prior doesn’t need to have a great game just contribute to a win.

Spot On

Coach
McLean, Fifita, Campbell-Gillard
When you're missing players of that quality, the next two or three available are not going to be in the top five players in their position

I am assuming that Mannah and Snowden were selected for similar reasons - actually probably because the best 5 props were Queenslanders and the next best 3 were Kiwis and NSW had four or five injuries - they suddenly get in

Mannah always struck me as one of those players fan of his club nominate because he's been solid for a while. Snowden promised more - then went to Newcastle

Snowden was awful. Slow, lumbering ball carrier. Defense was ok. Just not a great prop though.

McLovin

Staff member
People saying Snowden was crap etc etc whilst somewhat correct, are forgetting how damaging he was during his stint at Cronulla. He arrived at the Sharks a fat lumbering oaf and transformed his body into a chiseled monster and played the role of hardman very well.

He left the Sharks shortly after his origin year and returned to Newcastle and the cesspool of failure that club is renowned for and regained his baby fat. Don't let Knights failures fog your vision of what he was when he was selected to play for his state.

It's just unfortunate his bogan scum father who was probably a bitter piece of shit after being made redundant at BHP ruined what could've been a very good career.

First Grade
People saying Snowden was crap etc etc whilst somewhat correct, are forgetting how damaging he was during his stint at Cronulla. He arrived at the Sharks a fat lumbering oaf and transformed his body into a chiseled monster and played the role of hardman very well.

He left the Sharks shortly after his origin year and returned to Newcastle and the cesspool of failure that club is renowned for and regained his baby fat. Don't let Knights failures fog your vision of what he was when he was selected to play for his state.

It's just unfortunate his bogan scum father who was probably a bitter piece of shit after being made redundant at BHP ruined what could've been a very good career.
Wow he transformed his body at Cronulla around the same time one S.Dank was involved, well I never...

Grapple

Bench
Pretty solid player but a bit of grub shot on JT back in the day.

I'm sure he got done for a pretty bad spare tackle on someone too, but maybe i'm mistaken.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With the quality of the NSW backline you just need forwards to lay a good platform, nothing fancy is needed from the pack. Keep feeding the fox and you'll score more.