What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Elliott Disappreciation Society

When will he go?

• He'll be shafted by the halfway mark to the season.

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • He'll see out the season but not re-signed.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • He'll be re-signed for 3 years by Mick Leary in July.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • I don't care, I'm just stoked he's no longer at Canberra!

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters

murraymob

Coach
Elliott has copped alot of baggig here.Inteesting thing is we are last on the table.But the roosters where he is now are no better.
Next year with all the signins we sould see a vastly improved side.But is that Cleary being better than Elliott or more new signngs in a year than in the whole time Elliott was at the club
Interesting point to ponder Elliott or Cleary who is better

Big Mick

Referee
Mob...why are you bringing up old threads for?

Clearly has had shit to work with.

Elliot had a backrow of Pritchard, Waterhouse, Lewis with Smith thrown into the mix.

Cleary has a backrow of Ciraldo, Newton & Lewis occasionally.

It isn't interesting, nor is it a question at all who is better - Cleary by a mile.

murraymob

Coach
all threads deserve to be re birthed from time to time.Creates disscison and the point being no players where bought for Elliott

Abacus

Juniors
When Elliott got to the club in 2007, he had plenty of say in the club's roster - remember he "couldn't work with" Wesser, Priddis, T Puletua & had them moved on in short order. He didn't rate Wallace so the club supported the coach's judgement & didn't offer overs. From there Elliott decided players like Richie & Joe Williams & Purtell were what Panthers needed. The last straw for the club was Elliott's recommendation that Chris Cahler be signed. Our promising juniors Paulo, Coote & Graham were brought into first grade too early and there development suffered as a result. In 2009, Tom Learoyd-Lars arrived in Sydney to talk to Panthers - Elliott didn't rate him and had the club tell TLL's manager not to bother bringing him to Penrith even though at the time he hadn't played SOO and asking price was approx $100k.
The comment about the lack of quality signings during the Elliott years is more a reflection on his own player judgement and that Elliott could never tell the players no, particularly at contract time.

darkbloom

Juniors
When Elliott got to the club in 2007, he had plenty of say in the club's roster - remember he "couldn't work with" Wesser, Priddis, T Puletua & had them moved on in short order. He didn't rate Wallace so the club supported the coach's judgement & didn't offer overs. From there Elliott decided players like Richie & Joe Williams & Purtell were what Panthers needed. The last straw for the club was Elliott's recommendation that Chris Cahler be signed. Our promising juniors Paulo, Coote & Graham were brought into first grade too early and there development suffered as a result. In 2009, Tom Learoyd-Lars arrived in Sydney to talk to Panthers - Elliott didn't rate him and had the club tell TLL's manager not to bother bringing him to Penrith even though at the time he hadn't played SOO and asking price was approx $100k.
The comment about the lack of quality signings during the Elliott years is more a reflection on his own player judgement and that Elliott could never tell the players no, particularly at contract time.

And the wheel on the bus goes round and round.

franklin2323

Immortal
It isn't interesting, nor is it a question at all who is better - Cleary by a mile.

I hated Elliott with a passion but lets be realistic.

Elliott had that backrow yes. They came 2nd with them so he had some success. With the same useless halves we have.

We got rid of Puletua, Wesser, Gower, Rooney, Priddis. All on good coin & only got Petero that was decent. That's not him it's management. He could of done more with the junior he had no doubt. He picked some spastics so has Cleary.

I can't post the link on the phone but google 'elliott's warchest. We got those players (Gus would of) more success would of came. Wallace wanted the 7 jersey. We had Gower. So no amount of money would of got him to stay.

After year 1 both are very similar. The jury's out on Cleary

Big Mick

Referee
Only difference is that Cleary had shit all to work with Year 1....Elliot had a lot.

In Year 2...it is comparable hence why I wont be passing any judgement until that time.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Halves win matches. Yr 1 Elliott had Wallace/Gower 1/2's. Yr 2 he had Blair/Lewis 1/2's. That 1st year for Elliott we won 16's, 18's, 20's. So we had depth for year 2. None of the 1/2's or hookers of those teams are playing NRL so we had nothing. Graham is but at lock

He didn't release Gower with 3 years left on his contract. He did look to not develop players properly BUT Grant aside no one is playing even to last year's form

The big difference if off the field. We had $2.1m to spend for 2008. He wanted Tahu, Hornby, Wing, O'Donnell etc. We got Tighe, Petero (great player but we needed 1/2's) , Woolnough etc. Not worth 1/2 that yet we had no money left?

Gus said the changes he put in place for the juniors cost about $1m a team. He doesn't underfund the juniors by $3m a season. He doesn't not use marquee player or 3rd party.

darkbloom

Juniors
Halves win matches. Yr 1 Elliott had Wallace/Gower 1/2's. Yr 2 he had Blair/Lewis 1/2's. That 1st year for Elliott we won 16's, 18's, 20's. So we had depth for year 2. None of the 1/2's or hookers of those teams are playing NRL so we had nothing. Graham is but at lock

He didn't release Gower with 3 years left on his contract. He did look to not develop players properly BUT Grant aside no one is playing even to last year's form

The big difference if off the field. We had $2.1m to spend for 2008. He wanted Tahu, Hornby, Wing, O'Donnell etc. We got Tighe, Petero (great player but we needed 1/2's) , Woolnough etc. Not worth 1/2 that yet we had no money left?

Gus said the changes he put in place for the juniors cost about $1m a team. He doesn't underfund the juniors by $3m a season. He doesn't not use marquee player or 3rd party.

Spend spend spend buy buy buy - exactly what Gus did at the Roosters spend big dollars on juniors. One of the reasons Roosters were called imposters.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Spend spend spend buy buy buy - exactly what Gus did at the Roosters spend big dollars on juniors. One of the reasons Roosters were called imposters.

Not quite true. Roosters junior system was spread out all over Sydney. There Eastern Suburbs isn't exactly a league nursery. Gould spent money on bringing juniors into the Easts system then pulling them through; he's adopted a grass roots approach at Penrith, from what I can see.

Penrith have an enormous catchment area, similar to Saints and Brisbane. It makes sense to build and develop it with the intent of bringing forth the juniors as they graduate. You might have some competition with the Dogs and Parra for the kids in the system, but if Gould's changes work, you'll get a good shot at the cream and will let the rest go.

Pomoz

Bench
Yeah Drew Sta and that is what fills me with great hope. Get the juniors working as effectively as the Broncos (aim to have 80% local juniors) and we will have more good years than bad years. We have the resources, we just have to manage them properly. I watch my nephews play footy in the Penrith district, there are scores of youngsters playing the game, they love it in the Riff.

I live in the Eastern Suburbs, you would be lucky to see a game anywhere. They are all so up themselves they all play rugby instead. To be fair, rugby is a great alternative for those not good enough to play league:whistle

:idea:Here is a tip for you, if you can't sleep, go and watch the Waratahs it works like a treat

Kilkenny

Coach
I like Matt Elliot I think he is a terrific personality and despite his disappointing tenure at the Panthers he probably has something to offer as a coach in the game. I don't think for one minute he is a realistic chance of picking up the full time gig with the Roosters but I hope he is not lost to the game. There were a lot of factors which contributed to his disappointing spell with the Panthers and not all were of his own doing. Like Brian Smith the coach is almost always the one to get shafted and the playing staff play on. It's easy to say everyone is accountable, but often it is only the coach who is actually held accountable, just like Brian Smith and Matt Elliot. After only one season many here and on PI have the knives out for Ivan Cleary. In my opinion, the fact is didn't have the overall playing roster to seriously compete for the top eight. If we finish 15th or worse in 2013 then the fans may have legitimate concerns about whether he is the right person for the job taking us forward. Until then I am happy to support Cleary 100%.

Pomoz

Bench
I agree with that Kilkenny. I would go further and say that Cleary had an absolutely terrible roster. No Petero, no Waterhouse, no Cooper (killing it at the cowboys), no Gordon for most of the season, no Smith and then Luke Lewis missed half the season. He has an awful roster which included having the worst halves (Burns and Walsh) in the NRL. On top of that he took over a team with a losing culture, with poor morale, bad training habits and a bunch of juniors that were near the bottom of the pile last year.

I thought that all things considered, he did a good job. He made them compete in every game (just the one or two thrashings). He made them better disciplined. He blooded some new players. He started changing the culture - Lewis as captain (how right was that decision proven to be, after Lewis subsequently spat his dummy) and Jennings and Coote to reserve grade as the most notable examples. Towards the end of the season you could see his coaching starting to work and the team, still lacking decent halves (high hopes for Coote though) but starting to hang tough and show some pride.

Bring on 2013 I say :D

franklin2323

Immortal
As 1 of the crictics of Cleary. I will credit where it's due. We won 4/7 to end the year. Great work.

Granted losing Gordon, Smith, Plum & Grant for huge parts of the year didn't help. We would be totally belted up front had Windsor 1st (Until Seluini & Moylan were gone). So we had options and aside from injuries was a copy/paste squad. That's the frustration from me

Look at the bench at the end of the year. Weston, Achurch, Robinson, Docker/Simpkins. Compare that to early on. Same games 1 prop on the bench. Galea & Armit off the bench no impact.

We struggled for a 6. Yet waited until the end to play Coote. Taumata didn't get a game in the halves whatsoever

franklin2323

Immortal
I like Matt Elliot I think he is a terrific personality and despite his disappointing tenure at the Panthers he probably has something to offer as a coach in the game. I don't think for one minute he is a realistic chance of picking up the full time gig with the Roosters but I hope he is not lost to the game. There were a lot of factors which contributed to his disappointing spell with the Panthers and not all were of his own doing. Like Brian Smith the coach is almost always the one to get shafted and the playing staff play on.

Well look at the money Gus has put into the juniors. People wonder why we debuted 1 in 2 years. Our cap was bad imagine how bad if we were paying Petero $400k this year? Aside from Graham he can't be blamed for the losses of players. I would think he would be coaching director and Taylor coach

chrisD

Coach
I'm not calling for Cleary's head but copy and paste squad is a deserved criticism. Elliott is f**king terrible.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm not calling for Cleary's head but copy and paste squad is a deserved criticism. Elliott is f**king terrible.

I am not calling for his head yet. He did for the 1st 17 weeks show Elliott traits. How he comes back next year is the key not just the top 17 but when injuries bite etc.

Copperhead

Juniors
Well, I can't image what Elliot could possibly say or do in an interview that could make people overlook his pathetic record as a first grade coach, but he's done it again. Warriors fans, you have my sympathy.

penrithmob 65

Juniors
You are all way to hard on Elliott he just did not have the resources during his time at the club.The leagues slashed the funding to the football club.The junior league was running on the scent of a oily rag.He never had the funds to go and buy top line players
The only reason i felt it was time for him to go was because i feel no coach should stay longer than 5 years