What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Lodge Arrested in New York

Life's Good

Coach
Russell Packer took nearly 5 years to pay $300k to his victim (may not have even paid it all yet) and according to the victim's family has not yet apologised for stomping on his head. But he makes his own kombucha now, so redemption complete apparently.
Where did you read/watch that he hasn’t apologised to the victim?

OldPanther

Coach
After the interview, im very confident that he will be paying much less than the 1.6 million. They were very quick to say that they wont answer the question and there body language screamed that it was far less. Its all a pr stunt to cover his own arse. Look like a good guy by making it appear that hes paying all the cash back and that it was all his decision because of his virtuous ways. In reality, he can only pull in his half a million bucks plus income if he does this pr stunt. The family are no doubt still traumatised, they will be getting bugger all cash compared to what was agreed to and this tool gets to make big bucks whilst conning people into thinking hes turned over a new leaf and is now a good guy.

To be honest, i dislike him even more now than i did before.

The victims have to agree. He can't just nominate a number and they have to live with it. They already turned down lower numbers so you couldn't be more f**king wrong and I'm surprised @mxlegend99 liked such a factually incorrect comment.

OldPanther

Coach
Plenty of jobs going in the mines, right? If he needed to pay his dues he could've f**ked off and got a job there, paying the same if not more than the rumoured 80K the Broncos have him on. He could've made steps towards paying the affected families that way, then come back to league later on when those wheels were in motion. The idea of Uncle Wayne seeing a hole in his propping stocks and then deciding he could 'help' Lodge, and the NRL being callous enough to register a horrifically violent offender who had paid no penance is just as piss poor as it was when it happened.

Our code doesn't need a merkin like him in it. Woopie do, he's now started a weak payment plan after being harangued into doing it by the media. Wouldn't have happened otherwise, so let's not pretend Matt is a light unto us all now.

Will they take a bloke like him or even qualified to get the work? This is the line of work he is trained for and it happens to pay pretty damn good. He's satisfied all the conditions the NRL put on him after turning him down originally and he's now paying them back.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Will they take a bloke like him or even qualified to get the work? This is the line of work he is trained for and it happens to pay pretty damn good. He's satisfied all the conditions the NRL put on him after turning him down originally and he's now paying them back.

I'm not sure whether they'd take him. When you say 'like him' do you mean with his criminal record? I'm not at all aware of the mines and the structure around them but I was always led to believe it was a profession you could walk into as an unskilled worker, on decent pay because of the risk involved. But that's just a suggestion off the top of my head.

Regardless of the cash, myself and I think a lot of others would have been absolutely comfortable with a situation where he flipped burgers or whatever, and made an honest attempt to start paying the family back as a percentage of earnings. There's not a $1.6m emotional hole in the family's soul, that's just a number meant to represent their suffering - ie f**king huge. Without claiming to know this family, I imagine some genuine contrition and paying them in small amounts straight away via whatever job possible would have been much more satisfactory than being allowed to waltz in the front door at Red Hill, then deciding to make a payment plan months later after it became unfeasible to not do thanks to media pressure.

To me, he was allowed to come back far too soon and without having made any provisions to attend to the financial and emotional debt he owed the family. If he'd done so, as I say by paying 10% of his burger flipping or labouring or whatever for 2018, apologised profusely etc, I'd have little issue with him coming back for 2019. But the NRL went soft on it, quite likely because Broncos, and Uncle Wayne spied an opportunity wrapped in the guise of redemption.

OldPanther

Coach
I'm not sure whether they'd take him. When you say 'like him' do you mean with his criminal record? I'm not at all aware of the mines and the structure around them but I was always led to believe it was a profession you could walk into as an unskilled worker, on decent pay because of the risk involved. But that's just a suggestion off the top of my head.

Regardless of the cash, myself and I think a lot of others would have been absolutely comfortable with a situation where he flipped burgers or whatever, and made an honest attempt to start paying the family back as a percentage of earnings. There's not a $1.6m emotional hole in the family's soul, that's just a number meant to represent their suffering - ie f**king huge. Without claiming to know this family, I imagine some genuine contrition and paying them in small amounts straight away via whatever job possible would have been much more satisfactory than being allowed to waltz in the front door at Red Hill, then deciding to make a payment plan months later after it became unfeasible to not do thanks to media pressure.

To me, he was allowed to come back far too soon and without having made any provisions to attend to the financial and emotional debt he owed the family. If he'd done so, as I say by paying 10% of his burger flipping or labouring or whatever for 2018, apologised profusely etc, I'd have little issue with him coming back for 2019. But the NRL went soft on it, quite likely because Broncos, and Uncle Wayne spied an opportunity wrapped in the guise of redemption.

He did make attempts to do something financially but was denied by the victims.

mxlegend99

Referee
The victims have to agree. He can't just nominate a number and they have to live with it. They already turned down lower numbers so you couldn't be more f**king wrong and I'm surprised @mxlegend99 liked such a factually incorrect comment.

Matt Lodge is a f**king disgusting piece of shit that traumatized a family with a little kid. Threatening to murder them. Assaulting te family. Assaulting the police who came to help them.

He's on minimum wage this year and could only get a tiny loan as a result. So while the family might have agreed to it (probably thr only way they would see a cent from him anytime soon). He's getting away with paying a fraction of what he owed them... and the only reason he is paying them anything is the NRL wouldn't register a new contract for him unless he resolved the matter. He made no effort before then to resolve this issue.

He can now go and get a healthy $500k+ contract which allows him to pay up his loan in next to no time. Put this whole thing behind him and not give that family a second thought while the kid is probably going to have nightmares about him for years to come.

David brown

Juniors
Matt Lodge is a f**king disgusting piece of shit that traumatized a family with a little kid. Threatening to murder them. Assaulting te family. Assaulting the police who came to help them.

He's on minimum wage this year and could only get a tiny loan as a result. So while the family might have agreed to it (probably thr only way they would see a cent from him anytime soon). He's getting away with paying a fraction of what he owed them... and the only reason he is paying them anything is the NRL wouldn't register a new contract for him unless he resolved the matter. He made no effort before then to resolve this issue.

He can now go and get a healthy $500k+ contract which allows him to pay up his loan in next to no time. Put this whole thing behind him and not give that family a second thought while the kid is probably going to have nightmares about him for years to come.
Calm down..

OldPanther

Coach

Yes he's a piece of shit.

Considering the victims turns down the smaller amounts he offered before he had an NRL contract I doubt they'd accept less now out of the kindness of their hearts for a bloke like him.

David brown

Juniors
We all make mistakes guys. Give him a go... Who hasn't threatened to kill a family smashed a bit a shit up and put some merkin in a headlock on a night out on the nose beers and piss...

mxlegend99

Referee
Yes he's a piece of shit.

Considering the victims turns down the smaller amounts he offered before he had an NRL contract I doubt they'd accept less now out of the kindness of their hearts for a bloke like him.
Or maybe they accepted less because they knew it was their best way to ever see a cent and put this behind them as best they can.

The only reason they ever saw a cent is the NRL forced him to do it if he wanted a new contract. The only reason they did that was because the public were pissed off when this piece of shit was allowed back in the game.

Both Lodge and the NRL have done the bare minimum as a result of pressure on them. NRL didn't care until it was copping it in the media. Lodge didnt care until he couldnt get a new contract. Broncos like usual just want it swept under the rug while the poor family will no doubt be able to forget it anytime soon.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Why would I include that? The conversation is around compensation. How does jail time compensate the victim?

By delivering a sense of justice that the guilty party has been held accountable for their actions. Why else do the families of victims often spent untold years and money trying to find justice in unsolved cases? Money's not the only healer. Accountability and tangible rehabilitation should be as well. Hence why less people are concerned about Russell Packer being in the NRL than Matt Lodge. Packer was sent to jail, Lodge's only real recompense is paying (we presume much less than the original figure) the victims out of a lucrative rugby league deal he should never have been allowed to have before he faced the consequences of his actions.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
By delivering a sense of justice that the guilty party has been held accountable for their actions. Why else do the families of victims often spent untold years and money trying to find justice in unsolved cases? Money's not the only healer. Accountability and tangible rehabilitation should be as well. Hence why less people are concerned about Russell Packer being in the NRL than Matt Lodge. Packer was sent to jail, Lodge's only real recompense is paying (we presume much less than the original figure) the victims out of a lucrative rugby league deal he should never have been allowed to have before he faced the consequences of his actions.

The conversation was around financial compensation. I understand the other concerns - but this was about settlement involving money.

Also, Lodge had his day in court and was sentenced to 200hrs community service, rehabilitation courses and regular testing. You speak as though Lodge simply fled the US after his arrest. He faced the consequences of his actions and was held accountable. Is it his fault that the judge was lenient on him?

Lambretta

First Grade
Our code doesn't need a merkin like him in it. Woopie do, he's now started a weak payment plan after being harangued into doing it by the media. Wouldn't have happened otherwise, so let's not pretend Matt is a light unto us all now.

When he had no job and no money the amount he could afford to pay back was zero
The amount the bank would lend him was zero

He needed to start working before a bank would lend him any money to pay back
He had taken the loan, given the whole amount to the family and he now needs to pay that back

One thing that puzzles me
Was the settlement to the family a condition the NRL placed upon Brisbane before they upgraded his contract?

Does anyone know?

Lambretta

First Grade
Lodge is on a minimum contract of 85K or so but reportedly turned down 5 times that with Newcastle???? If that is in fact true then there are quite a few questions that should be pointed at both the Broncos and the NRL that need immediate responses.

Further more, if Matt Lodge has a manager he should sack him immediately for letting him sign a deal worth a pie and coke when he could have made big dollars and gone a long way to repaying some of the ridiculous $$$ hanging over his head from the civil case.

I mean, why the flick would you forgo hundreds of thousands of dollars per annum when in his situation??? Does not make any sense whatsoever.

Because claims against a person are based upon the income they earn

If someone earns $85,000 a year - the loan they can get the repay the family will be small
However, if someone earns $350,000 the loan they can take out could potentially be much larger (although if is secured, probably not) But the family could wait and not agree to settle

If you settle based on your income today, you pay back say $70,000
If you take a much higher salary you might have to make a much larger settlement

It is far more advantageous to Mr Lodge to take that massive pay rise AFTER he has settled out of court with the family.. That's smart managing right there

A totally merkin-ey thing to do, but........ yeah.

Latest posts