What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Lodge Arrested in New York

Life's Good

Coach
If you google "Russell Packer Apology" it should be the first result.

He did appear on League Life and I’m sure this was covered that he did reach out(can’t recall for certain). As I mentioned above it’s pretty poor if he hasn’t however that article was before the League Life episode so who knows.

AJB1102

First Grade
The only reason they ever saw a cent is the NRL forced him to do it if he wanted a new contract. The only reason they did that was because the public were pissed off when this piece of shit was allowed back in the game.
Lodge's only real recompense is paying (we presume much less than the original figure) the victims out of a lucrative rugby league deal he should never have been allowed to have before he faced the consequences of his actions

So Lodge should pay the family, the only reason Lodge paid anything was because he got let back in NRL, but he shouldn't have been let back in the NRL?

If he went and got a regular job with a wage inline with the skills a loose cannon RL prop would bring to any regular job they'd never see a cent. No pressure from media or employer to pay up. If you want the victims compensated you can't moan about him getting an NRL contract.

mxlegend99

Referee
So Lodge should pay the family, the only reason Lodge paid anything was because he got let back in NRL, but he shouldn't have been let back in the NRL?

If he went and got a regular job with a wage inline with the skills a loose cannon RL prop would bring to any regular job they'd never see a cent. No pressure from media or employer to pay up. If you want the victims compensated you can't moan about him getting an NRL contract.
He took out a loan against his minimum wage contract. If he had a real job he could have done so still.

It's absurd to suggest there's only one source of income on the planet. Although realistically he would never have paid them a cent if he wasnt forced to. It was self serving and yet people here are praising him for doing what he had to do to get a new NRL contract.

AJB1102

First Grade
He took out a loan against his minimum wage contract. If he had a real job he could have done so still.

It's absurd to suggest there's only one source of income on the planet. Although realistically he would never have paid them a cent if he wasnt forced to. It was self serving and yet people here are praising him for doing what he had to do to get a new NRL contract.

Not saying he couldn't have gotten a 'real' job or that NRL was his only source of income, but how many 22-23yr old blokes with no experience in being anything but a prop is gonna land a 'real' job paying $85K a year straight up?

I'm not praising him, and I'd say all of this taking a low wage, paying them off at your current loan approval rate before upgrading is from his advisors/manager etc. Like Lambretta pointed out, its merkiny but good strategy.

But everything else aside the NY family would have got absolute f**kall if Lodge didn't come back to NRL. Have they even accepted the deal from his loan? They could hang out and reject that too until he does sign that big contract and be eligible for a bigger loan.

Canard

Immortal
Not saying he couldn't have gotten a 'real' job or that NRL was his only source of income, but how many 22-23yr old blokes with no experience in being anything but a prop is gonna land a 'real' job paying $85K a year straight up?

I'm not praising him, and I'd say all of this taking a low wage, paying them off at your current loan approval rate before upgrading is from his advisors/manager etc. Like Lambretta pointed out, its merkiny but good strategy.

But everything else aside the NY family would have got absolute f**kall if Lodge didn't come back to NRL. Have they even accepted the deal from his loan? They could hang out and reject that too until he does sign that big contract and be eligible for a bigger loan.

Your constant defence of Lodge would have some grounds if he made any effort to repay the family whilst out of the game, and got an actual job.

His 6 weeks of "rehab" and lack of action shows that he and Uncle Wayne couldn't give two shits about the whole situation.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Yes he's a piece of shit.

Considering the victims turns down the smaller amounts he offered before he had an NRL contract I doubt they'd accept less now out of the kindness of their hearts for a bloke like him.
Kindness of their hearts? People change their mind you know..

It’s a financial situation. What would you do in their situation if you were given the offer of receiving let’s say 200k compensation or zero dollars? Think about it. Take as much time as you need...

OldPanther

Coach
Your constant defence of Lodge would have some grounds if he made any effort to repay the family whilst out of the game, and got an actual job.

His 6 weeks of "rehab" and lack of action shows that he and Uncle Wayne couldn't give two shits about the whole situation.

I've said it a few times now. He tried to negotiate a payment before and the victims turned him down.

OldPanther

Coach
Kindness of their hearts? People change their mind you know..

It’s a financial situation. What would you do in their situation if you were given the offer of receiving let’s say 200k compensation or zero dollars? Think about it. Take as much time as you need...

I don't need any time. They were awarded a set amount and aren't under any obligation to accept anything other than that. No one here knows how much he's paying back. It could be the full amount for all we know.

Dave_

Juniors
That's the first time I've ever seen that footage...what an absolute lowlife.

He's very lucky to be alive. Those U.S. cops kill regularly for far less.

P.o.s...and shows the mentality of Bennett and the filthy Broncos. Just when you thought you couldn't hate the scummy club anymore...

Canard

Immortal
I've said it a few times now. He tried to negotiate a payment before and the victims turned him down.

Trying to lowball someone isn't offering to pay them back. And what was stopping him getting a real job?

It's obvious he has been on the Broncos payroll for years, and this situation was manufactured by the club as tactic to avoid any questions.

I honestly don't I know how anyone can defend this Arsehole.

mxlegend99

Referee
That's the first time I've ever seen that footage...what an absolute lowlife.

He's very lucky to be alive. Those U.S. cops kill regularly for far less.

P.o.s...and shows the mentality of Bennett and the filthy Broncos. Just when you thought you couldn't hate the scummy club anymore...
That part stood out to me the most on first viewing. You hear about police brutality and shootings over there... he gives them a reason to use that force yet they were all pretty reserved when stopping him.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I don't need any time. They were awarded a set amount and aren't under any obligation to accept anything other than that. No one here knows how much he's paying back. It could be the full amount for all we know.
They were asked if it will be the full amount. They refused to answer the question. Obviously if they were paying the full amount, they would have said that. It was a PR stunt to sell Lodge as a bloke who was writing his wrongs. With this agenda, if he was paying the full amount, he obviously would have said that. Seriously, take as much time as you need...

OldPanther

Coach
Trying to lowball someone isn't offering to pay them back. And what was stopping him getting a real job?

It's obvious he has been on the Broncos payroll for years, and this situation was manufactured by the club as tactic to avoid any questions.

I honestly don't I know how anyone can defend this Arsehole.

Yeah keep shifting the goal posts.

They were asked if it will be the full amount. They refused to answer the question. Obviously if they were paying the full amount, they would have said that. It was a PR stunt to sell Lodge as a bloke who was writing his wrongs. With this agenda, if he was paying the full amount, he obviously would have said that. Seriously, take as much time as you need...

You're guessing in the negative because don't like him and have no facts to back it up.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Yeah keep shifting the goal posts.

You're guessing in the negative because don't like him and have no facts to back it up.
I’m just skeptical as opposed to gullible. To think that he was paying back the full amount, it would take a real gull8ble mindset. If he was paying the 1.6 million then it would be blatantly obvious that they wouldn’t dodge the question regarding it on at least 2 occasions. Whether I like him or not has nothing to do with the subject at all.

OldPanther

Coach
I’m just skeptical as opposed to gullible. To think that he was paying back the full amount, it would take a real gull8ble mindset. If he was paying the 1.6 million then it would be blatantly obvious that they wouldn’t dodge the question regarding it on at least 2 occasions. Whether I like him or not has nothing to do with the subject at all.

I don't think it's the full amount either though the Broncos are traditionally closed off with the media so it's hard to judge. Whatever the amount it's at least significant because he was previously denied and now accepted by the victims. I think if they wanted to just get something they would have accepted the offer when he was a laborer before the NRL said he could play.

AJB1102

First Grade

Like OldPanther said, he did make an offer to pay them something before he got back to the NRL but it was turned down, I guess because it wasn't enough. Anyone really surprised Matt Lodge doesn't have much earning power outside of running into defensive lines?

There was about 3yrs between his rampage and getting back in the NRL, you make it sound like he went nuts in NY, did 6 weeks of rehab before slotting straight into the Broncos front row.

And I'm not defending him, I just can't see how people can want the American family paid their compensation but also be against him playing NRL. 1 simply does not happen without the other. As far as I'm aware he is under no legal obligation in this country to pay them a cent, so if he won lotto and no longer needed footy he could tell Greenberg and the family to get f**ked. But he needs footy and to play footy he needs to pay up. Whether he truly has any remorse or feels he should pay compo I don't know or care and so long as he coughs up the compo does it even matter?

Canard

Immortal
Like OldPanther said, he did make an offer to pay them something before he got back to the NRL but it was turned down, I guess because it wasn't enough. Anyone really surprised Matt Lodge doesn't have much earning power outside of running into defensive lines?

There was about 3yrs between his rampage and getting back in the NRL, you make it sound like he went nuts in NY, did 6 weeks of rehab before slotting straight into the Broncos front row.

And I'm not defending him, I just can't see how people can want the American family paid their compensation but also be against him playing NRL. 1 simply does not happen without the other. As far as I'm aware he is under no legal obligation in this country to pay them a cent, so if he won lotto and no longer needed footy he could tell Greenberg and the family to get f**ked. But he needs footy and to play footy he needs to pay up. Whether he truly has any remorse or feels he should pay compo I don't know or care and so long as he coughs up the compo does it even matter?

He was training with the club the entire time.

For mine the guy should never be allowed to play NRL again. He f**ked up big and basically got away with it.

The constant black eye that this guy gives the game is worth more then Wayne Bennett's desire to get a cheap prop. It's beyond tone deaf to allow such a serial shithead this many chances.

I also want to know of this settlement involved the Broncos and if so that it's counting against there cap(as was stated would be the case by NRL)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

As someone else said, rugby league isn't the only job in the world for big dumb merkins like Lodge.

I would be all for a means-tested payment system, whereupon he paid a percentage of whatever job he was in. Start flipping burgers, start the ball rolling, then earn the trust back of the public before re-entering the game. But no, the Broncos got him in as soon as they could. I honestly believe Uncle Wayne was probably nigh-on the only coach in the comp who would've lobbied to bring him back into the game that soon. Other coaches have these things called morals that Wayne abandoned years ago.

Let's not forget this f**kwit had prior history at the Tigers and Storm of being a complete stain as well.

And to be honest, I'm not one bit worried about the family being compensated. Maybe for related costs ie psychotherapy, any other cost they incurred, actually not maybe - absolutely. But it's not common place for victims to be compensated, be it assault, attempted murder/murder, manslaughter etc is it? Why in this case? The compensation is usually knowing the sick f**k that committed the crime was held accountable for it, which should've happened here.