What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Lodge Arrested in New York

OldPanther

Coach
I would be all for a means-tested payment system, whereupon he paid a percentage of whatever job he was in. Start flipping burgers, start the ball rolling, then earn the trust back of the public before re-entering the game.

How can he do that when they turn him down? They probably knew he'd be earning good money in professional sport at some point and waited.

He f**ked up big and basically got away with it.

That's for the American legal system to decide.

Canard

Immortal
How can he do that when they turn him down? They probably knew he'd be earning good money in professional sport at some point and waited.

That's for the American legal system to decide.

You've constantly tried to paint the victims as some sort of money hungry grubs.

Says a lot about yourself really.

OldPanther

Coach
You've constantly tried to paint the victims as some sort of money hungry grubs.

Says a lot about yourself really.

Bullshit I have. I'm arguing against the narrative that Lodge didn't make an attempt before the NRL.

I don't believe they should settle for less. Not because they want money but because that's what they were awarded as damages and I'dbe willing to bet they need money for counseling etc. If he didn't want the punishment he shouldn't have done the crime.

Trying to add motive to me that was obviously never there is a shit thing to do.

OldPanther

Coach
How could that be taken in any other context?

Also attempting to settle for a lesser amount isn't the same as commencing payment.

Easily. They were awarded a set amount. He offered them less because he was working a shit job like the rest of us but was on a path back to the NRL. No way anyone takes less than they are rightfully owed. You wait till they are financially able to pay it.

You also said "You've constantly" and you've got 1 maybe poorly worded comment.

Canard

Immortal
Easily. They were awarded a set amount. He offered them less because he was working a shit job like the rest of us but was on a path back to the NRL. No way anyone takes less than they are rightfully owed. You wait till they are financially able to pay it.

You also said "You've constantly" and you've got 1 maybe poorly worded comment.

I'm happy to concede I may have conflated your discussion with others in this thread who have claimed the family are just taking advantage of Lodge

Perth Red

Post Whore
If it was me I’d have rather the police had put a bullet in his head than received money off the scumbag.

AJB1102

First Grade
As someone else said, rugby league isn't the only job in the world for big dumb merkins like Lodge.

I would be all for a means-tested payment system, whereupon he paid a percentage of whatever job he was in. Start flipping burgers, start the ball rolling, then earn the trust back of the public before re-entering the game. But no, the Broncos got him in as soon as they could. I honestly believe Uncle Wayne was probably nigh-on the only coach in the comp who would've lobbied to bring him back into the game that soon. Other coaches have these things called morals that Wayne abandoned years ago.

Probably the only work where he'd come close to paying someone $1M+ compo though. Probably the only work where he'd be forced by media and employer pressure to pay anything.

If the family are after their compensation I doubt they give a f**k how he gets it. If I were them I'd rather he take 4yrs to give me a decent amount than at best get some small garnish annually of his $18 an hour wage for however long until he dies - or more likely get nothing at all.

If getting paid means he plays a sport in Australia I'm sure they're fine with that and not too fussed on how the Broncos, Lodgs or NRL went about it.

If he's flipping burgers he is not making any significant money to pay them, he's not getting into a position to be an NRL player and he has no media attention on him for the public to know anything about him to earn any trust off. Of course the Broncos got him in as soon as they could, you're not gonna go snap up a 25yr old whose been flipping burgers for 4yrs. Even if they did it'd still be the same story, no one is gonna think "gee what a good job that Lodge has done flipping burgers for 4yrs and paying the family a couple hundred bucks a year".

f**k Lodge. I think most agree with that. But if anyone wants the family paid, Lodge needs to get paid for that to happen. Whether or not the NRL should give him that opportunity to get paid is a whole other debate.

And to be honest, I'm not one bit worried about the family being compensated. Maybe for related costs ie psychotherapy, any other cost they incurred, actually not maybe - absolutely. But it's not common place for victims to be compensated, be it assault, attempted murder/murder, manslaughter etc is it? Why in this case? The compensation is usually knowing the sick f**k that committed the crime was held accountable for it, which should've happened here.

Not here but in the US it is. Like Hayne has a rape case coming up against him; if he loses he won't be jailed, he'll be ordered to pay an amount to the victim determined by the court. But as far as I know it only stands in the states. So if they never go back there good luck getting your compo.

Lambretta

First Grade
That's the first time I've ever seen that footage...what an absolute lowlife.

He's very lucky to be alive. Those U.S. cops kill regularly for far less..

Definitely..... if you're black.

Sitting on the floor with your hands on your head and a toy truck next to you gets you shot by cops if you are a shade darker than Brenko Lee

The video clearly shows that Lodge's reaction was a result of a knee to his head by a Cronulla player, Kyle Flanagan. Brisbane was correctly awarded a penalty for this. What is your point "Knuckle-dragger?"

King hit

Coach
Still find it disgraceful how Bennett signed him

Bennett on Pearce: He is to disgusting I don't want that sort of thing here
Bennett on Lodge: Nah all good mate

SDM

First Grade
It was a fair enough reaction, Steve Price got knocked the f**k out for doing the same to White in origin.

Latest posts