What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matty Russell - proof Cartwright has no idea

coldhardbitch

Juniors
After watching Russell's outstanding performances for Scotland in the World Cup, I can't believe Carty didn't give him a shot in first grade, the guy looks classy, and a determined and strong runner that can score a try. Surely he would have been better than others who have worn the shirt this year.

An opportunity missed I think.

Titanic

First Grade
Brought to you by the same bloke who reckons that Tomkins is too small for the NRL … genius, truly genius.

Misanthrope

Staff member
After watching Russell's outstanding performances for Scotland in the World Cup, I can't believe Carty didn't give him a shot in first grade, the guy looks classy, and a determined and strong runner that can score a try. Surely he would have been better than others who have worn the shirt this year.

An opportunity missed I think.

When I read he'd been at the Titans last year, I couldn't believe I hadn't heard of him before. The kid is a talent.

Tone83

Juniors
Brought to you by the same bloke who reckons that Tomkins is too small for the NRL ? genius, truly genius.
He seems bigger than tomkins?

But yeah he doesn't necessarily strike me as a world beater, just a near-nrl calibre guy trying to shoulder an ordinary team. The titans seem to be hoarding a whole heap of outside backs, it's as though they're burying them in some big pit on the beach somewhere, just so no one else can have them. They've had so many come and go over the last few years, some that seemed incredible and electrifying and then they just disappear. Remember "air jordan" and that "fastest guy in the nrl" walker? There's been a tonne more too.

Son of Minto

Bench
Tbf he didn't show a whole lot in 20s. He was good but not a star of the league at all. Didn't do enough to beat Zillman/Gordon/Mead for a spot.

JasonE

Bench
Was played mainly out of position on the wing and centres, had a few games early on at fullback and went ok, scored two tries in one game from fullback but was rarely played there again. Carty played Jerome Hughes in first grade if I recall v Penrith in Darwin.

vikingstorm

Juniors
Matty Russell will get his chance at the Warrington Wolves in 2014. There are a number of other talented young players at Warrington and i thought Russell was quite good, but like with a lot of these young players they have to work hard to get their rewards- He has potential sure

Titanic

First Grade
The buried on the beach comment has a ring of truth in it … we have buried more young talent over the past few years in a quest to buy a finals berth, I hesitate to say premiership because we are a long way from that, rather than spend on developing juniors. That may have been a good strategy in 2007 but Cartwright has had a lot of years to produce and still the tank is empty.

brock0brien

Juniors
The buried on the beach comment has a ring of truth in it ? we have buried more young talent over the past few years in a quest to buy a finals berth, I hesitate to say premiership because we are a long way from that, rather than spend on developing juniors. That may have been a good strategy in 2007 but Cartwright has had a lot of years to produce and still the tank is empty.

Although you're right about Titans needing to produce more home grown stars, you can't deny the fact that we have recruited great players for the club such as Kelly, Sezer, Bird and Myles when no one else wanted them, as well as Idris and Taylor who can be outstanding if they perform to their potential.

Tone83

Juniors
Agreed. Tomkins would have Russell for lunch.

But Russell has talent. I would certainly put him ahead of the utter mediocrity Lachlan Coote, who will bring Nth Queensland Cowboys' attack to a dead halt in 2014.
Yeah i would say russel is on par with a lot of NRL players... who also shouldn't be there. Like Coote. So in a way Russel should be in the NRL, he should be there so astute observers like me can note that he shouldn't be there.

Titanic

First Grade
Although you're right about Titans needing to produce more home grown stars, you can't deny the fact that we have recruited great players for the club such as Kelly, Sezer, Bird and Myles when no one else wanted them, as well as Idris and Taylor who can be outstanding if they perform to their potential.
Sure Brock, no problem with any of that but the real issue is still our Coach's inability to get the team up for more than a handful of games in a row. That may be tactics, player management, poor selection, club infrastructure or completely the players fault or all of the above and more but whatever it is it is the reality.

Latest posts