What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mayweather Vs McGregor

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Been thinking a bit about this fight the last day or so...

$1.90 for Mayweather to win by KO or TKO could be one of those odds where after the event you just sit and think it was like stealing money.

Connor though the confident mofo, the way he speaks he really makes you start to think in the back of your head 'could he actually do it?'

I still just can't possibly see it happening and I don't think it will go the distance (either way) so the $1.90 for Floyd honestly looks very juicy, I expect some big punters to lap it up late in the piece.

One thing I would be scared of though is Connor getting himself DQ'd I think that is a distinct possibility.

Frankus

Juniors
Mayweather's hands haven't been the same since he fought Emmanuel Augustus. Pre Augustus he had a KO ratio of around 75%. Post Augustus, in 25 fights he has KO'd 5 opponents, 4 without being cheap as f**k when he KO'd Ortiz. Make of that what you will.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
McGregor the confident merkin has got me believing he is going to do it.

Even a month ago I thought there wasn't a chance in hell but I'm starting to imagine it

Smack

Coach
Mayweather can't lose. He is 49-0 for a reason, this is boxing, not mma.

I'd love nothing more than Connor to win. His wife stood by his side when he was broke and that is a rare thing these days, but the smart betting should be on how Floyd will win.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Conor has made floyd change the way he prepares, he could easily br underdone coming off a two year layoff, Floyd in prime would win this in a canter.

This strikes me a lot of when RJJ fell off the cliff against Tarver, Johnson, Tarver.

I think conor will get in close, eat a shot, back his chin and aim to plant that left on floyds, this could be finished in the 3rd or 4th, if the fight goes further than the 6th Pretty boy isn't losing.

Frankus

Juniors
Conor has made floyd change the way he prepares, he could easily br underdone coming off a two year layoff, Floyd in prime would win this in a canter.

This strikes me a lot of when RJJ fell off the cliff against Tarver, Johnson, Tarver.

I think conor will get in close, eat a shot, back his chin and aim to plant that left on floyds, this could be finished in the 3rd or 4th, if the fight goes further than the 6th Pretty boy isn't losing.

The difference being Tarver and Johnson were both boxers and RJJ had been brutally KO'd after weight draining back down to LHW from HW...weight draining and suffering a brutal KO has been the end for numerous champs, not just RJJ. Chad Dawson is another that springs to mind.

Conor looked drained at the weigh in, although did have an extra "inch" out there for all to see...He will rehydrate back to say 170 and I think if he survives the first 4 rounds will be sluggish and just target practice for Floyd. Also in MMA, not that I follow it all that much, it seems body shots aren't really a thing. Floyd will work the body and likely KO him in my opinion.

FMJ has been in with bigger punchers, better movers, and far more skilled and better boxers than Conor. Conor has a left hand that he uses well against MMA fighters who leave their chin wide open. Mayweather is arguably the greatest defensive fighter ever and he has fought and easily beaten a number of notable counter punchers such as JMM. And 2 years out for Floyd who is known to stay in great shape should not be a problem.

Conor is a puncher and has a punchers chance but I think this is a 95/5 fight for Mayweather.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
The difference being Tarver and Johnson were both boxers and RJJ had been brutally KO'd after weight draining back down to LHW from HW...weight draining and suffering a brutal KO has been the end for numerous champs, not just RJJ. Chad Dawson is another that springs to mind.

Conor looked drained at the weigh in, although did have an extra "inch" out there for all to see...He will rehydrate back to say 170 and I think if he survives the first 4 rounds will be sluggish and just target practice for Floyd. Also in MMA, not that I follow it all that much, it seems body shots aren't really a thing. Floyd will work the body and likely KO him in my opinion.

FMJ has been in with bigger punchers, better movers, and far more skilled and better boxers than Conor. Conor has a left hand that he uses well against MMA fighters who leave their chin wide open. Mayweather is arguably the greatest defensive fighter ever and he has fought and easily beaten a number of notable counter punchers such as JMM. And 2 years out for Floyd who is known to stay in great shape should not be a problem.

Conor is a puncher and has a punchers chance but I think this is a 95/5 fight for Mayweather.
Don't get me wrong, on a pure boxing front, conor couldn't lace floyds boots, but his talk has made mayweather change the way he has prepared for this fight.

I had Floyd from the start but watching how everything has gone in the lead up, i'd have it 80/20 in Floyds way , if floyd gets tagged because he takes this lightly, he could be in massive trouble.

shiznit

Coach
Conor made the weight with ease... all the stuff about him being too heavy was rubbish...

He's fought 10lbs lighter at 145lbs 7 times in the last few years and he's never missed weight.

154lbs is a cakewalk for him.

I'm not going to change my prediction... Floyd is going to box his face off... and either win by UD... or maybe stop him late with cuts.

And ive been a Conor fan since his cage warriors days.

If Conor is to stand any chance he needs to be a fighter... not a boxer.

He needs to break all the rules you learn from an early age in boxing. The stance, the guard, the angles...

Everyone is saying Conor's only chance to win is to get in close and use his size to rough him up.

And I do think that's one way he can go... I don't think that's really Conor's type of fight.

I actually think his best chance could be from the outside...

I'm genuinely interested in seeing is how Floyd deals with Conor's range... especially early on.

Strikers in MMA typically have to learn to strike from range a lot further than a boxer would... due to having to worry about leg kicks and takedowns.

Conor's ability to close that distance is probably what makes him such a great MMA striker.

Floyd won't be used to seeing a guy who can explode from such a distance and if anything is going catch Floyd I think it's something from that distance which will do it.

I don't think it will be effective for very long though... as Floyd will figure it out and adjust after awhile... and then it will become predictable.

Jono078

Referee
I am beyond excited for this and I am 100% behind Conor. Not that I hate Floyd, but I truly believe Conor will get the job done.

T/KO in first 3 I say.

Frankus

Juniors
Conor made the weight with ease... all the stuff about him being too heavy was rubbish...

He's fought 10lbs lighter at 145lbs 7 times in the last few years and he's never missed weight.

154lbs is a cakewalk for him.

I'm not going to change my prediction... Floyd is going to box his face off... and either win by UD... or maybe stop him late with cuts.

And ive been a Conor fan since his cage warriors days.

If Conor is to stand any chance he needs to be a fighter... not a boxer.

He needs to break all the rules you learn from an early age in boxing. The stance, the guard, the angles...

Everyone is saying Conor's only chance to win is to get in close and use his size to rough him up.

And I do think that's one way he can go... I don't think that's really Conor's type of fight.

I actually think his best chance could be from the outside...

I'm genuinely interested in seeing is how Floyd deals with Conor's range... especially early on.

Strikers in MMA typically have to learn to strike from range a lot further than a boxer would... due to having to worry about leg kicks and takedowns.

Conor's ability to close that distance is probably what makes him such a great MMA striker.

Floyd won't be used to seeing a guy who can explode from such a distance and if anything is going catch Floyd I think it's something from that distance which will do it.

I don't think it will be effective for very long though... as Floyd will figure it out and adjust after awhile... and then it will become predictable.
Errr Pac man is exactly what you explained. He had the uncanny ability because his footwork and foot speed was the best in the business to close distance and fire off combos. He could be out of range, be in fire off a 4 punch combo and out before guys like Cotto and ODLH even knew what the f**k had just happened. He is also a southpaw. Albeit Manny was well past his 2009 prime when he finally fought Floyd. But Floyd dealt with him with such ease it was a joke. Conor is going to have to walk through punches to close the distance. And in my opinion is going to get starched early.

I dislike Floyd but he is going to embarrass Conor tomorrow

shiznit

Coach
Errr Pac man is exactly what you explained. He had the uncanny ability because his footwork and foot speed was the best in the business to close distance and fire off combos. He could be out of range, be in fire off a 4 punch combo and out before guys like Cotto and ODLH even knew what the f**k had just happened. He is also a southpaw. Albeit Manny was well past his 2009 prime when he finally fought Floyd. But Floyd dealt with him with such ease it was a joke. Conor is going to have to walk through punches to close the distance. And in my opinion is going to get starched early.

I dislike Floyd but he is going to embarrass Conor tomorrow

Manny is nothing like what I'm talking about...

The only similarity Manny has to Conor is that he's a southpaw... but Conor is an MMA southpaw... he regularly switches stances depending what looks he's getting.

Manny still fights from the very much a traditional boxing range...

Not quite in the pocket... but nowhere near an MMA strikers distance.

And Manny likes to push forward... where as Conor is a counter striker.

Conor typically likes to stand at a distance and wait for his opponent to make a move towards him... and then he closes that distance with accuracy and precision... then once he gets them hurt he usually comes forward to finish them.

That's MMA of course... this is entirely different because he doesn't have all his weapons.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Here's something that kinda illustrates what I'm trying to say...

Watch this video at about the 11min mark...

There's a really knowledgeable combat sports analyst by the name of Robin Black who breaks down the differences in range and what Conor needs to do...

GongPanther

Referee
Suckers...err,I meant viewers in Australia are being charged $60 to watch this fight.In the U.K.,viewers are being charged 19.99 pounds...or AU$32.00.

I'll be watching the lower grade games tomorrow,then the Panthers game...then the cricket.Tomorrow,the fight will be on YouTube,so will the undercard fights.

Some dick on the football is bound to yap about the winner.But to be honest,I think there will be better class fighting on the prelims.

Smack

Coach
This is how you sell a product and make hundreds of millions of dollars.
Here's something that kinda illustrates what I'm trying to say...

Watch this video at about the 11min mark...

There's a really knowledgeable combat sports analyst by the name of Robin Black who breaks down the differences in range and what Conor needs to do...

Smack

Coach
Will have to try and watch both some how
Suckers...err,I meant viewers in Australia are being charged $60 to watch this fight.In the U.K.,viewers are being charged 19.99 pounds...or AU$32.00.

I'll be watching the lower grade games tomorrow,then the Panthers game...then the cricket.Tomorrow,the fight will be on YouTube,so will the undercard fights.

Some dick on the football is bound to yap about the winner.But to be honest,I think there will be better class fighting on the prelims.

Pugzley

At least the Backyard is showing it without a ticket necessary. And I get to eat my roast that I ordered.