What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McGrath out with ankle injury

Doctor

Bench
Glenn McGrath is out of the Australian side until perhaps the Boxing Day Test. His ankle isn't behaving as well as he would have liked, and he is on his way home from Perth. He had surgery on his ankle during August, and was on track to return in this test, but pulled up sore at training.

Of course it now means the Australians have Gillespie and Lee as their opening attack, with the ever-capable Andy Bichel coming into the side with MacGill as the leg-spinner.

The Australians won't be phased by this development. Gillespie and Lee have both performed better than McGrath in recent times anyway, and when fit both are quite capable of handling the responsibilities. Bichel is a quality bowler, and handy batsman - despite having the distinction of being one cricketer who seems to get dropped more often than most, he just keeps on striving for Australia and deserves his spot.

Australia shouldn't have too many worries against the freshly assembled Zimbabwe - the tourists are missing some of their best batsmen, and their bowlers, with the exception of Heath Streak, have hit a patch of poor form.

Starts Thursday at 11:50am (the coverage that is)

Anonymous

Juniors
I wonder who will come into the side for the Sydney test?

They may go into it with a 3 prong pace attack but on an SCG turner I wonder if they'll axe Lehmann for Hogg or perhaps bichel for Hogg or even Hauritz?

TheParraboy

Staff member
They have brought in Brad Williams to replace McGrath, who no doubt will play 12th man.

Being at Perth I wouldnt mind seeing a 4 pace attack ;-)
either way Williams aint gonna get much bowling , lol.

bucko

Juniors
A 4 man pace attack would be very nice to see on the WACA...This should be a helpful game for the aussies. Hopefully McGrath will be able to return for the boxing day test, I think he will as the report said he'd be out for 2 months.

TheParraboy

Staff member
You see, thats the problem not having Mark Waugh in the test team if we go for a 4 man pace attack. No more right arm party pies for a bit of variety, LOL :D

Doctor

Bench
TheParraboy said:
You see, thats the problem not having Mark Waugh in the test team if we go for a 4 man pace attack. No more right arm party pies for a bit of variety, LOL :D

Right arm nudies more like it - they never had anything on them. :oops:

As for logical replacements. Bichel deserves his spot, obviously Gillespie and Lee to open the bowling, and Stuey MacGill is in great form leg-spinning wise.

Lehmann recently scored his maiden Test century, and Martyn returns to the side - there are no more logical dumpings to accomodate for a 5th bowler.

There is no way Williams gets in ahead of Bichel, Gillespie and Lee, and not ahead of MacGill.

The only way Hogg played in the Windies was because Martyn was out, and Martin Love was a flexible option at Number 6.

In any case Darren Lehmann is handy with the ball - he actually has a better one-day bowling average than Ian Harvey, while I'm thinking of it.

Anonymous

Juniors
Yeah but you wouldn't want to rely on Lehmann with the ball.

This would be a prime opportunity for the Aussie selectors to give someone like Mark Higgs a run. Very high standard of batting and equally capable with the ball, and played for the 'A' side last year.

Doctor

Bench
Mark Higgs has performed well for South Australia in recent times. Two centuries last year, three 50s, averaging a notch over 50 - that is pretty impressive for a fellow who is otherwise considered an allrounder.

His bowling is usually a bit more untidy, and that is the issue that will affect the selector's opinions of him.

I'm not suggesting we hand Lehmann an allrounder's role, but if the Australian selectors wanted a guy batting at 50 and bowling in the mid 30s, they'd pick Lehmann - he bats at 50 and bowls at 29 - and he's already in the side.

Doctor

Bench
I hate to keep disagreeing with you Timbo - but I think disagreement is healthy.

Further addition to my previous post: Higg's First Class bowling average is 54 - not impressive at all. His overall stats for batting in first class fixtures is an average of 36.

Last season his stats were impressive batting-wise - average of 50 (as mentioned), and bowling at 34.

The good news is that those figures are on the improve, and he scored two of his three career centuries during last season.
Unfortunately at the moment his bowling, as left-arm spin, is not as impressive as other players like Hogg, Lehmann etc.

I'm not a fan of Lehmann's bowling, so the fact I keep mentioning it is purely coincidental - but stats speak volumes for performance, and unfortunately Higg's bowling and batting aren't near Lehmann - and he is supposed to just be a batsman who bowls occassionally.

If Lehmann can bat at an average of 50, and be bowling at 29 - there is no way they'll give Higgs a run until he is eclipsing those figures. Even last seasons 50 bat and 34 bowl aren't at the standard needed unfortuantely.

Anonymous

Juniors
I agree that Higgs' bowling needs work. What I like about him is that he can bowl Left arm orthodox and chinamen with pretty much the same action. Very deceptive.

And I think you reward a batsman for consistency over time-but only if they are in form. Mid 30's followed by a 50 season is fair enough in my book. Although he never did look settled in Sydney and the Adelaide wicket helped his game greatly in my opinion.

Another option is Katich (probobly a better option than Higgs). He's averaged 50 for a long time at state level and last year he was a genuine all rounder, form he carried over to the county championship in both batting and bowling.

Doctor

Bench
Timbo said:
Another option is Katich (probobly a better option than Higgs). He's averaged 50 for a long time at state level and last year he was a genuine all rounder, form he carried over to the county championship in both batting and bowling.

You know, I'm still not convinced about Katich's bowling. He still bowls like a part-timer, his action looks awkward, his placement looks like a fluke - but fortunately for me he has stats to prove he can bowl. I think he took 5 or 7 wickets against South Australia in Newcastle last year to win them the game.

And he can bat - if he keeps that kind of form up this year he might push for selection - but bear in mind Australia hardly need batsmen at the moment - they've got 7, four of which are left-handers, and one can bowl a bit.

Anonymous

Juniors
Original_Chook said:
Timbo said:

You know, I'm still not convinced about Katich's bowling. He still bowls like a part-timer, his action looks awkward, his placement looks like a fluke - but fortunately for me he has stats to prove he can bowl. I think he took 5 or 7 wickets against South Australia in Newcastle last year to win them the game.

And he can bat - if he keeps that kind of form up this year he might push for selection - but bear in mind Australia hardly need batsmen at the moment - they've got 7, four of which are left-handers, and one can bowl a bit.

Well there is a simple answer-Katich is a part timer! Except unlike Lehmann his part time spinners have been very effective over the last 12-18 months. His batting is also up there with Lehmann (avg of around 50 for quite some time) so he could play without bowling and still serve a purpose.

He'd also be a better captain than that thug Ponting.

Latest posts