What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mears to Brisbane - maybe - Herald

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Sydney Morning Herald (21.8.03) reports that Darren Sentrer appears likely to stay next season but fellow hooker Robbie Mears may be headed to Brisbane.

Tigerpete

Juniors
That gets my approval............Senter can offer utility value whereas Mears will only play hooker. No wonder the great game against the broncs mearsey!

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Could be several reasons behind doing this

- The club feels guilty over how Senter has been treated in regards to contract talks

- The club wants to retain Withers as our main Hooker for next season so we need 1 extra slot in the 25 man squad

- Mears really hasn't given us value, is getting older and isn't showing any real signs of hunger (except for the game against the Broncos)

- Senter does offer expereince, utility value, is an 80 minute player, is a good defender and can attack out wide, also can kick.

Just a few reasons but I could see why they would do this but on the other hand sure I feel sorry for how Senter has been treated by the club but really I didn't think we had a spot for him in our 25 man squad next year.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
We do have lots of options there - Senter for one more season, Robbie Farah (who would be my preference), Lincoln Withers if he is re-signed, plus the younger Wests hooker Degois.

innsaneink

Referee
First time i really seen him stand out against the Broncs,
has been a good reliable player in the past from what
I've seen but he's never really put his hand up... I think
there is so much unrealised potential in this joint

brook

First Grade
Bald Tiger said:
We do have lots of options there - Senter for one more season, Robbie Farah (who would be my preference), Lincoln Withers if he is re-signed, plus the younger Wests hooker Degois.

not to mention the fact that leigh bowman has had an outstanding year for balmain (since we lost halatau to the wests tigers i wouldn't be suprised to see him come in strong contention for best and fairest at the end of the year) and luke waihape is developing very nicely himself and secured the ryde-eastwood starting hooker spot since his promotion from flegg

Its kind of sad in a way because i can't see anyway the club will hold on to bowman and waihape beyond next year - both are amoung the most talented local juniors balmain has produced in the last few years its just a shame we have so many good young hookers - I just can't find a place for mears amoung this lot and i think letting him go is by far the best option - most of the other hookers named are younger and offer more and to be honest with the depth within the club i can see that he may end up having trouble even holding a first division spot if he stays

brook

First Grade
Bald Tiger said:

not to mention the fact that leigh bowman has had an outstanding year for balmain (since we lost halatau to the wests tigers i wouldn't be suprised to see him come in strong contention for best and fairest at the end of the year) and luke waihape is developing very nicely himself and secured the ryde-eastwood starting hooker spot since his promotion from flegg

Its kind of sad in a way because i can't see anyway the club will hold on to bowman and waihape beyond next year - both are amoung the most talented local juniors balmain has produced in the last few years its just a shame we have so many good young hookers - I just can't find a place for mears amoung this lot and i think letting him go is by far the best option - most of the other hookers named are younger and offer more and to be honest with the depth within the club i can see that he may end up having trouble even holding a first division spot if he stays

tigershaz

Juniors
Can't we keep them all? I want Mears he is a hard worker, I know he hasn't had much to motivate him lately.....but I still want to keep him :cry:

B_Tiger

Juniors
mears is pretty crap. He runs well but apart from that he is pretty poor. The most annoying thing is how he always goes to the blind side on the last tackle when we are in a good attacking position. It pisses me off. His kicks on the last are pretty poor as well.

Wrighty79

Juniors
I can't see the value in retaining Hollywood. What's the point? He is well past his use-by date, and although he has been a good performer for us in the past, I'd much rather have Mearsy stay and Senter go, then the other way around.

Wrighty79

Juniors
I can't see the value in retaining Hollywood. What's the point? He is well past his use-by date, and although he has been a good performer for us in the past, I'd much rather have Mearsy stay and Senter go, then the other way around.

brook

First Grade
B_Tiger said:
mears is pretty crap. He runs well but apart from that he is pretty poor. The most annoying thing is how he always goes to the blind side on the last tackle when we are in a good attacking position. It pisses me off. His kicks on the last are pretty poor as well.

Actually you've hit the nail on the head - he's essentially a selfish player and its really whats held him back from being any better than he is.

As for the senter/mears debate its a no brainer - dazza can fill in several positions and if injuries hit hard we'd be very glad to have him around, however i can't see the possibility of injuries taking out our top 3 or 4 hookers as being too likely (and i'm pretty pessamistic) and thats the only time i can really picture us turning around and saying 'I wish we still had robert mears'

Personally I wouldn't keep either - let darren retire with grace, but having said that if it comes down to one or the other than senter is the logical choice

Gobbso

Juniors
tigershaz said:
Can't we keep them all? I want Mears he is a hard worker, I know he hasn't had much to motivate him lately.....but I still want to keep him :cry:

When given the opportunity, Mears has proved he can get the job done. He is a classy Hooker, but due to Senter being the Captain, he got the nod to be hooker, as the backrow was too congested. Mears performed brilliantly last year for Wests under Baa, and it was a shame to see him not get a real fair go this season. Although in saying that he has finished off the year very strongly, and still has 3 games to go. I hope he has blinders in all of them.

If he does go to Brisbane, i wish him all the best, and thank him for his service to the Joint-Venture.

B_Tiger

Juniors
yes he has been a hard worker but he often takes really bad options that kill potential opportunities. I think Senter is a smarter player and is the better hooker of the two. His runs aren't as dangerous but he is far more consistant and distributes the ball 100% better then mears.

Bench
B_Tiger said:
yes he has been a hard worker but he often takes really bad options that kill potential opportunities. I think Senter is a smarter player and is the better hooker of the two. His runs aren't as dangerous but he is far more consistant and distributes the ball 100% better then mears.
Your kidding Senters passes are woeful,nowhere near first grade standard,and his selfish charges and kicks for himself on the last are so predictable.Give me Mears anyday,but I think Farah looks the real deal,bottom line is Mears is contracted Senter is not, and should not be offered one any way,we simply don't need him.

Bench
B_Tiger said:
Your kidding Senters passes are woeful,nowhere near first grade standard,and his selfish charges and kicks for himself on the last are so predictable.Give me Mears anyday,but I think Farah looks the real deal,bottom line is Mears is contracted Senter is not, and should not be offered one any way,we simply don't need him.

Bench
B_Tiger said:
Mate Senter can't throw a decent pass,his charges and kicks for himself on the last are so predictable.Give me Mears anyday,but I think Farah is the real deal so there is no room for Senter he would just be holding Buckets out of the Captains job and Farah out of the hooking job,as someone all ready said we have heaps of backrowers and hookers so why waste money on Hollywood.

uuem

Juniors
I will be sorry to see Senter and Mears go but lets be realistick as with other members of our 1st grade squad we have not been competitive so the time has come to clean the cupboard out and start again.
Sure we all have players we believe are the best but the truth is they are not winning us games.
PS - Definition of loyalty -what a player gives to a club . This will not be a 2 way situation as if you are not succesful in your quest of winning football games you will be released.

braz

Juniors
B_Tiger said:

senter and smart are two words that shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

simple fact mears is on contract for next year - senter ain't.
senter is on more than 250k. unless he takes a massive paycut keeping him is pointless. buy another prop we are right for hookers and backrowers :roll: