What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MEDIA RELEASE re: Steve Turner

DeeGan

Bench
Cranky said:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20851128-11088,00.html

Looks like he is staying :D

I wonder who the Storm will offer up though.

The Gold Coast Titans have not released Steve Turner and as it turns out Brian Waldron is not a willing participant in this "swap" as it turns out according to the morning papers - we look like heading to the courts.

SMH said:
MELBOURNE chief executive Brian Waldron insists his club will not offer financial compensation for winger Steve Turner, nor agree to a player swap, but concedes his early bullish approach to negotiations with the Gold Coast Titans jeopardised a deal.

Waldron and Titans managing director Michael Searle had coffee together during the NRL chief executives' conference this week, effectively opening dialogue.

"In retrospect, some of our early press releases accusing the Titans of being unprofessional were too strong," Waldron said.

The outspoken former AFL club chief executive antagonised Searle, who was keen to demonstrate that the new kid on the block would not be bullied.

The tug of war for the playing services of Turner developed into an ego battle between the two club chief executives.

Now, however, a deal appears possible with experienced winger/fullback Chris Walker trialling for a contract and reports versatile Wallaby Mat Rogers is keen to play with the Titans a year ahead of his 2008 agreement. However, Waldron maintains the Storm would not agree to financial compensation or a player swap.

Told that Turner was so desperate to remain in Melbourne that he would sacrifice his contract to allow the the Titans to buy another fullback, Waldron said: "He can give compensation but not us."

Searle said this would be an unsatisfactory outcome but conceded the circumstances for a deal now existed.

"The replacement of playing talent is important for us, especially from a depth point of view," Searle said.

Asked whether the presence of Walker and Rogers changed the Titans' expectation of compensation, Searle said, "Per se, they did not come from Melbourne. There is an onus on the Storm to sacrifice some playing strength."

If we head to the courts, as per David Gallop in this article:http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/turner-is-ready-for-action/2006/12/01/1164777798922.html?page=2

"While Gallop acknowledges that a similar act of clemency would save Turner, he points to evidence which won't look good in court - the Gold Coast flying him to Coolangatta on June 29 to view possible accommodation and a 2KY interview on August 18 in which he confirmed he was playing with the Titans.

Gallop says: "I wonder how the Storm will overcome in court Riolo's email to [NRL salary cap executive] Ian Schubert which reads, 'I am steadfast in the belief that a deal was agreed to in my mind with the Titans in June. I could not in good conscience deny an agreement was made'."

Going off what we are reading, I can this mess ending up in court sadly. Unfortunate, perhaps unavoidable if Waldron is not willing to look at player swap or compensation for Steve Turner.

El Diablo

Post Whore
has Turder returned the cheque the Titans sent him?

he seems to think he has no contract with them so he should.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
TITAN1 said:
Yep. Peyton Place stuff.

But it has detail of the Storm 'contract' and what was always suspected - media confirmation that Turner has accepted an extra $90,000.

The Storm did not make him an offer in June, believing he wanted to play fullback and Greg Inglis and Billy Slater were ahead of him. When Turner told coach Craig Bellamy he wished to stay and was content to continue to play on the wing, the Storm made an offer which, over three years, is $30,000 more than the Titans will pay.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Its a little ambiguous. You may be right Philly. To be honest, its a tad hard to tell with Roy's articles nowadays. No disrespect to him - he is a fine writer with all the credentials. However (as Roy matures, moreso), I've noticed a few minor errors creeping into his research in recent years.

Figures aside, its definitely an increase on the Titans contract... this much has been established. Depending on your source, this figure has been as high as $100K for the three years. Can't say I know the real figure, only that an increase to Turner was part of the Storm deal.

philstorm

Juniors
It must be said, but I think all fans are just about sick of this whole case. I dont really care what happens to Turner now, I just want to get the team back and concentrating on next season with no distractions.

DeeGan

Bench
I am hoping this is old news by the end of the year, I really do.

I don't know how Melbourne are handling this though it is business as usual I am told for the Gold Coast Titans. Our players have enough to worry about in making their debut for the club in our debut season let alone worrying about one player who changed his mind. I would assume the players and coaching staff are preparing for 2007 assuming Steve Turner will not be in the team.

Cloud9

The hypocrisy of the Titans and their supporters here knows no bounds. Fancy trying poach Matt Rogers from the ARU whilst he is still contracted to them??? I feel Ill.
Your credibility is shot to pieces. Hang your heads in shame!!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Rogers is seeking a release.

Cartwright was quoted yesterday (in the GC Bulletin) as saying Rogers joining the Titans in 2007 would be "sensational". He also said, "...but he is contacted to the ARU and the Waratahs and before anything, he has to sort that out."

The Titans have gone to some lengths to make it clear they are not coercing Rogers in an any way. Its a decision which has to be made between Rogers and the ARU.

Cloud 9, you're either lying, or you haven't checked your facts. Which is it?

DeeGan

Bench
Willow said:
Rogers is seeking a release.

Cartwright was quoted yesterday (in the GC Bulletin) as saying Rogers joining the Titans in 2007 would be "sensational". He also said, "...but he is contacted to the ARU and the Waratahs and before anything, he has to sort that out."

The Titans have gone to some lengths to make it clear they are not coercing Rogers in an any way. Its a decision which has to be made between Rogers and the ARU.

Cloud 9, you're either lying, or you haven't checked your facts. Which is it?

The above saved me some time in response to Cloud9's post. A lot of our critics are quick to shoot from the hip though fail in ensuring the gun is loaded with ammo ... amusing to say the least.

Are we able to forward the quote to Jeff Wall? ;)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol. No worries Deegan. His email is linked to the name.
From what I've heard, he's a good bloke, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.