What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MELBOURNE 3rd Test: Australia v India on Dec 26-30, 2014

Bazal

Post Whore
Remember when Clarke came on and bagged 3 wickets in one over to steal the Sydney test vs India?

On a pitch that had fallen apart a day previous. The major thing is that Smith said he didn't think the bowlers gad four wickets in them. To know that, he would have consulted with all his bowlers and made the decision. So in reality why are we not critical of the bowlers? A decision like that is made by the side as a whole.

I have no problem with the decision and would have had no issue if they had played on. I wasn't out there to judge the circumstances

doyen

Bench
FMD. A lot of fuss over 4 overs. I didn't even register it as an issue. The game was done.

The game done????Not necessarily!!

It only takes 4 balls to get 4 wickets.

Aust.had 6 times that.A test can very easily be won in that situation.Especially with the tail very much in sight.

In 1912 an Aussie leggie[Jimmy MATTHEWS]took 2 hat-tricks on the one day in 2 separate innings in a test.And he didn't need any help--all bowled,LBW or Ct & bowled!!!

I'd much prefer to bowl the game out,especially against the Indians who have a penchant for self-destruction.

Canard

Immortal
It's Smith's 2nd game in charge and he is already copping it.

Australia win the series is all anyone will remember.

JJ

Immortal
It's Smith's 2nd game in charge and he is already copping it.

Australia win the series is all anyone will remember.

Yeah, surprised Warne hasn't written a column explaining how he would have led them to victory prior to having a cocaine fuelled threesome with twins prior to heading home to Simone and the kids

Smith is making every post a winner at the moment there will always be second guessing but gee the kid seems mature

Haffa

If he'd bowled the last 4 overs and we took a wicket or two people would be talking about his declaration. He'll learn from yesterday.

doyen

Bench
Smith should be our captain for many years to come.

I remember when he first arrived on the scene.
I thought;who's this poor bugger??Doesn't look the slightest like a cricketer!!

Yet here he is with Bradmanesque performances & showing huge potential as a leader.
He's a tenacious fighter in the trenches & shows definite leadership qualities.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Not the same. Australia do attack and try to win more than most. However in this case India was sitting back and waiting for a handout. Why should they just roll over and comply to that lazy approach from the opposition ? Do it for the greater good of international cricket ? I don't think so.

Australia playing to win is so well accepted, Dhoni decided to rely on it as his strategy.

well said Ricky

undertaker

Coach
Given India nearly chased down 364 in 98 overs during the Adelaide test (at one stage, they were 2/242, needing only 122 from 29 overs with 8 wickets in hand before their monumental batting collapse), there was no way Steve Smith was going to declare overnight setting India 327 in 90 overs on a far more batting-friendly wicket. I have no doubt that had he done that, India would've gone for it right from the get-go and a strong start from them would've really put a lot of pressure on Australia. The focus was to win the series first before winning this test match. Yeah, a shame we can't whitewash them again 4-0 like we did last time they were here, but we only have ourselves to blame for that for dropping those catches to dismiss Rahane and Kohli in the first innings. That turned out to be costly in the end

As I've already said in another post, the only disappointing was agreeing to a draw with 4 overs to spare when one wicket in the following couple of overs could've made things interesting, given the performance of India's tail in recent times. Otherwise, we have won the series with one test in hand.

vvvrulz

Coach
On a pitch that had fallen apart a day previous. The major thing is that Smith said he didn't think the bowlers gad four wickets in them. To know that, he would have consulted with all his bowlers and made the decision. So in reality why are we not critical of the bowlers? A decision like that is made by the side as a whole.

I have no problem with the decision and would have had no issue if they had played on. I wasn't out there to judge the circumstances

Whoever made the decision captain or bowlers, it was bizarre to not bowl out the four overs. What is that another 15 minutes of play? Those weren't set batsmen out there either, Dhoni and Ashwin are not mugs but they were reasonably new to the crease. Get one of those and its serious tail.

I picture an Australian side to pile on the pressure and hound the opposition for a mistake until the win is literally impossible.

JJ

Immortal
Whoever made the decision captain or bowlers, it was bizarre to not bowl out the four overs. What is that another 15 minutes of play? Those weren't set batsmen out there either, Dhoni and Ashwin are not mugs but they were reasonably new to the crease. Get one of those and its serious tail.

I picture an Australian side to pile on the pressure and hound the opposition for a mistake until the win is literally impossible.

Meh

Delusional again, no question Aust has been generally the best, but Smith et al simply being realistic IMO their best bowler is fragile and not long for test cricket and there was a series to win

Also don't buy for a second that It was solely Smith's call anyway, he will be s fine captain hopefully Clarke can step aside gracefully

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Completely ridiculous decision and unacceptable at this level not to go for the jugular, its not park cricket.

I wouldn't even consider it at club level.

I would have bowled out the last 4 overs with 9 fielders around the batsman rather than just surrender like that.

vvvrulz

Coach
Meh

Delusional again, no question Aust has been generally the best, but Smith et al simply being realistic IMO their best bowler is fragile and not long for test cricket and there was a series to win

If we're talking half a day sure... but its just nuts not to see off four overs.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Im with the majority here, should have bowled out the 4 overs

3 times in this series India have lost their last 3 wickets with under 24 balls needed. Might have been a slim chance to do so again considering we needed to get one more wicket to get to that stage, but not impossible nor unreasonable considering the recent history and form of their tail

If Smith was concerned the front line bowlers had enough or couldn't do any more, should have thrown the ball to a couple of others, hell give Haddin an over ffs just to see if he can jag a wicket, bowl himself or even Sean Marsh who has a couple of Shield wickets.

Dhoni and India would have been so relieved not to continue. Why give them this relief? Make the merkins earn the draw right till the end.

I have no problem with Smith batting on, we secured the series and it was refreshing to see us bat india out for the game, when they most likely thought we might give then a sniff.

Last edited: