What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Storm 2014.

B-Hard

Juniors
I went to a night recently with the recruiting manager for Storm and the intention is for the big three to retire one season after the other...this will free up cap progressively so that we can build depth over three years.

That's really interesting actually. I wonder when the plan is to start the rebuild without them and how they'd like to do it, who they're targeting. It's going to be a worry as I don't want them to turn into a spoon contender but it will be fun.

I kinda wish Cronk didn't re-sign with us last year. Would have started the transition earlier.

Replacing Bellamy is a massive concern too

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
You need to hang on to Chambers; champion centre. What is contract situation ?

GO

The Dogs offered him a huge contract when he came back but he settled for a lot less to come back to the Storm, but he is getting older and a big contract while he still has the ability will be hard to turn down, can see him playing for a big spending sydney team in a few years time

B-Hard

Juniors
Chambers extended his contract this year until the end of 2017. He isn't going anywhere.

I wish we could take a leaf out of Manly's book against Souths tonight. 14-0 behind but they ran hard, tiring their opponents out for a convincing win.

Last edited:

dubbo teacher

Juniors
I agree with CAG - Slater especially, dropping the ball - 6 points, Bedsy not getting penalised - unbelievable.. Take those out Storm probably win so no crisis for you lot.
(I'm neutral - a Parra supporter but respect what Storm have done for RL nationally and a tonne of respect for the likes of Bellamy and Smith.)
Thought Melbourne were hard done by against Souths as well, who had a dream run with decisions but were found out big time last night.
Biggest problem for Storm losing to Newcastle - Slater - not only amateur effort at catching ball but dreadfull effort at stopping winger in corner. That was 100% not negotiable HAD to be made tackle - one good well timed body shot and he's 2 metres into touch. And if Jeff Robson can stop a prop a metre out (Brent Kite) why can't Slater?
A really disappointing effort and I agree with the poster who suggested he retire from SOO, or who knows? They may pick Inglis at fullback for Qld anyway.
It would help Storm if he concentrated on them.
Smith will be the last of the Big 3 to retire I'd say. He gets through a lot of defence but is one special player - not only smartest player by a country mile but durable although he's not noted for being so.
The culture built at Melbourne mainly goes back to Smith and Bellamy I think.
Don't be surprised if Smith transitions into coach after retirement, his presence is vital to maintaining the culture at Melbourne moreso than the other two. Can't see him going back to Qld unless there are family reasons.
Future players to maintain Storm's success?
Could be anyone really. They just need to have ability and then buy into the work ethic and discipline.
And don't think there is any lack of talented players who are potential greats in the game...what is lacking is the leadership and direction to mentor them. It's not only Melbourne that do that well - look at Parramatta player Horo now with Manly - a different player at a club with a work ethic and culture of success. There are dozens of Horos out there- underperforming and going cheaply.

Last edited:
If there is one weakness in Slater's game it is his brain fades at crucial times in big games...throwing wild passes etc and dropped passes.

I still think we need another big prop and word on the grapevine is that Russell Packer is looking for a new home ?...

Billythekid

First Grade
Packer would be a poor signing imo. He is starting to get on now and seems to be constantly injured, who knows what sort of form he will have next year.

I just don't think we would need him now that we have rose.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Ryles. No matter how they look, they turn to gold with us. Packer would be beastly, especially if we got him into his late 2011 form.

BastoS

Juniors
IMO the main issues with our demise in 2013...

The toll of the rep season

The big 3 are getting on, and there's no doubt that the late form slump had a lot to do with the work load of these 3. They were burnt out after the Origin series, and fair enough. As someone else stated maybe they should seriously start thinking of throwing in the towel for rep footy and focusing on the club. I can't see this happening however, but Origin IMO should be a stand alone weekend anyways!

Widdops injury
I honestly though Finch filled in quite well with Widdop out, it took him a few weeks to hit his straps, but he did a good job. Obviously Finch is a bigger defensive liability than Widdop, but I think Bellamy made the wrong call on rushing Widdop back. I can understand that Finch was injured too, but we should have played it safe and chucked Blair in at 5/8 for that one week, then bought Finch back. If we were desperate MAYBE bring Widdop back only on the bench, I didn't think this would be such a bad idea.

The infamous left side and high ball
We got flogged here, and it needs some serious attention. Permanent switch to the left Will Chambers? Justin O'Neill looks more dangerous on the right hand side anyways. Mahe Fonua always had a lot of errors in his game, however he was epic in the game against the Raiders. I think with more experience he'll be a great player of the future, he definately has some X-Factor about him. Sisa was relatively solid under the high ball, but seemed to be more concerned with making spectacular catches rather than just catching the ball, later in the season.

Next year...

1. Slater
2. Duffie - We missed his security under the high ball and finishing ability
3. O'Neill - Seems more comfortable on the right but needs to step up and work on defense
4. Chambers - Great in attack and defense, 2013 was his best year to date
5. Waqa - Very solid, a great reader in defense but needs improvement under the high ball
6. Hampton - Has x-factor about him, a future star
7. Cronk
8. J. Bromwich - The potential to be one of the best props in the game, didn't play enough mins in 2013
9. Smith
10. Norrie - Disagree on comments he's bad, probably our best prop until Bromwich improves
11. Proctor - As someone else mentioned needs to be more consistent
12. Harris - A beast on the left hand edge, great step, a real handful for defenders
13. Hoffman - Not as good a hole runner as he once was, let him roam and let Harris dominate the left hand side

14. Hinchcliffe - Better utilised as a utility, doesn't offer much in attack
15. K. Bromwich - Showed great potential and versatility
16. McLean - Big & strong, promising for the future
17. Rose - Looking forward to his impact, I'm a big fan and we needed to get some more grunt up front

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Packer would be a poor signing imo. He is starting to get on now and seems to be constantly injured, who knows what sort of form he will have next year.

I just don't think we would need him now that we have rose.

Packer is getting on? Da fuq?

When is a 23 year old prop passed it?

Under the right system Packer would kill it. Needs to get out of Auckland for sure.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think that's a decent looking side. I still just don't rate O'neill in the centres (or even on the wing really). I agree that the rep season took a huge toll on us and the WC shortening the off season won't help either.

Hopefully Slater doesn't play rep footy next year. I think we really need to start giving Smith some bench minutes as well during the season (if a game is over may as well take him off).

I think we will be near the top again next year.

Packer is getting on? Da fuq?

When is a 23 year old prop passed it?

Under the right system Packer would kill it. Needs to get out of Auckland for sure.

No idea who i got him confused with i thought he was older :/.

Nice post BastoS...

It is a balanced side but I am really not sure about O'Neill who does not get involved or go looking for opportunities and is really just a finisher. He may lose his spot to Travis Robinson IMO.

I would possibly play Harris at no 13 and put Hinchcliffe on the bench and bring McLean into no 12..I know it sounds crazy but we need size in our pack across all positions.

We have also signed Dallas Weston from Penrith who adds size and also Garbutt and Glasby will be better for this year.

As for Slater...who knows if he will scale back rep duties...I don't think he will.

B-Hard

Juniors
Not sure on Juzzy and Duffie. I think only 1 would make my team. Norrie has offered very little as the season's gone on. Garbutt and Glasby killed it today in the Q Cup and surely need to get more playing time next season. Not a go at you BastoS but Hoffman isn't a lock and moving him away from the edge takes away what he gives us. Harris at lock. I also think Moors should be getting more playing time too. Little worried at how Hampton's played recently. I think playing him at fullback for Easts wasn't exactly the best idea.

Billythekid

First Grade
Not sure on Juzzy and Duffie. I think only 1 would make my team. Norrie has offered very little as the season's gone on. Garbutt and Glasby killed it today in the Q Cup and surely need to get more playing time next season. Not a go at you BastoS but Hoffman isn't a lock and moving him away from the edge takes away what he gives us. Harris at lock. I also think Moors should be getting more playing time too. Little worried at how Hampton's played recently. I think playing him at fullback for Easts wasn't exactly the best idea.

I've been so disappointed in what has happened to Moors. When he was at the tigers i thought he was going to be a gun and i was so excited when we bought him. Since then things have just fizzled out. I'm assuming he isn't up to scratch but haven't heard anything.