What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Storm...

simon says

First Grade
Melbournes crowds are a disgrace when you think of how well they have been gone.I consider them to be a huge failure.Its a shame as I would love to see a side there,I love going down that weekend to watch the Tigers play them.

My point is that there will have to come a time when the NRL realise that they can make more money somewhere else,and please more fans.I know Rupert wants a team in Melbourne,but if they dont want to watch it,we cant force them.

I feel sad for Melbourne,but if no one is going to watch them,then Melbourne doesnt deserve to have a team when the GC and CC are ready and raring too go with junior and a huge fan base.

JJ

Immortal
chemicalbrother said:
you never move a team!!!! you Expand!!! biggest load of Crap when we have a Storm day on radio today!!!.

1. The storm shouldn't move.
2. Your statement is absolute rubbish - franchises move all the time - sport is littered with teams that have - Brisbane Bears, SF Giants, LA DOdgers, Tennessee Titans etc etc etc - it can be done, and successfully. The point is, Melbourne is a big market, and it should be tapped, so moving from it is stupid - more effort with the Storm

Beaussie

First Grade
simon says said:
Melbournes crowds are a disgrace when you think of how well they have been gone.I consider them to be a huge failure.

In a city of over 3.5 million, a little over 6,000 turn up to watch a team that is in the Top 8, has won a premiership in it's short history and makes finals regularly.

You're spot on the Storm's crowds are a disgrace and RL in Victoria is a huge failure.

simon says said:
Melbournes crowds are a disgrace when you think of how well they have been gone.I consider them to be a huge failure.Its a shame as I would love to see a side there,I love going down that weekend to watch the Tigers play them.

My point is that there will have to come a time when the NRL realise that they can make more money somewhere else,and please more fans.I know Rupert wants a team in Melbourne,but if they dont want to watch it,we cant force them.

I feel sad for Melbourne,but if no one is going to watch them,then Melbourne doesnt deserve to have a team when the GC and CC are ready and raring too go with junior and a huge fan base.

There are clubs in Sydney that don't deserve a spot ahead of the CC and GC either. South Sydney being one of them. There crowds are on par with Melbourne but there results aren't and don't even start on what Melbourne brings to the NRL financially wise. Melbourne are being pro active in trying to get a base in the biggest AFL market in Australia. Souths have the biggest league market in Australia and trade with a name synonomous with Rugby League in Australia and yet for 15 years have been going around in circles and have stagnated to the point where the rest of the league world has passed them by.

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Let me see Beaussie, 6 year in the comp, one flag and 6,000 paid up members.

When comparing it to 15 years, no flag and 20,000 members.

I know which one i'd take and it's not yours.

And we wont go on crowd numbers as it took the Swans 8 years to get close to 15,000 showing up to games in a city of 4.5 million with free tickets.

Like any business it took the Swans a while to get there, Melbourne will be the same. I heard that over 500 people signed up as Storm members yesterday while listening to the pro AFL station SEN.

Crowd numbers will be around 10 - 11,000 this weekend

Big-Steve

Juniors
Stormwarning[c said:
]
Big-Steve said:
What you guys need to understand is that clubs and fans in Sydney are still feeling the effects of the Super League War. There are issues that still need to be resolved and while you would have us all move on people simply can't let go that easerly just because some up start like Murdoch moves in. Many fans have followed their team for a number of generations

Until the NRL admitts that these issues exist and activly does something about it talk of Melbourne relocating etc will continue.

It's just the reality of the post Super League world and an administration that refuses to fix what it broke.

One thing I have learnt about issue.......no matter what you do they will always be there, no matter what. Generations pass their issue on to younger generations and the cycle just keeps going. GET OVER IT

But going from some of the posts the only way some would have you believe to fix it is to close the whole competition down......thats right, pack up your gear get your ball and go home, no more Rugby League. :? :? :cry:

:roll: That would solve all those people in Sydney that don't have any respect for the future of our great game and those who have worked and stared in the game since formation.

Now before you say anything about what would some Melbourne bloke know, my family has a long history with Parramatta and yes there was ISSUES there, but we moved on and GOT OVER IT

A lot of issues need to be fixed and some will never be, it is like two teams mergering, what do you do, follow the merge team or not follow any?

Looking at your atvar, you follow the merge team, why.......coz of the love of the game, the love of the history of your team, or for the future of the new team to keep the history of the old live on?

Either way we all have issues everyday, it is only the very few that let them fester. GET OVER IT

......Here endth the lesson.........

Firstly mate The North Sydney Bears a not merged with anyone. They were with Manly. A peculiarity of the situation lead to the Bears merging without the members voting on it and eventually it crumbled.

Following on from what you say about following at least some team - this is what the Central Coast Bears is all about for Norths people. They will have a 20% stake in it and the team will run around in their colours and emblem.

Frankly your understanding of how us Northern states feel is pathetic. And I'm not sure if there is any point in arguing with you about it. But what I am trying to put across to you is it's not simply a case of getting over it, it's about dealing with the reality that people refuse to get over it. Until someone in the administration proactively deals with the issues teams such as Melbourne are going to continue to come under scrutiny.

I'm not saying this out of spite. I'm saying this because I believe it to be the reality.

You would be better off supporting the resolution of it then we can both get on with supporting our teams.

Surandy

Bench
Storm getting crowds of 7,000? Where's the facts people? 6,875 people to our last home game, admittedly that was a very crap crowd, but that is by far our smallest crowd ever. And even that figure is more than 1,000 higher than the central coast's smallest crowd when the Northern Eagles played there.

Wests Tigers have had smaller crowds than 6,875, should be fold or be relocated as well? 4,125 fans to watch Tigers play Penrith at Campbelltown on 25/5/03, what a good crowd that was.

How come the Warriors weren't relocated back at the end of 1998 when they had some home crowds as low as 4,500 against North Queensland on 31/7/98?

What's Gold Coast's crowd numbers been like when they had a team? Wow, first season 2,000 turned up to watch them play the Sharks on 19/3/88. Let's have a look more recently, 4,900 vs Knights on 3/5/97.

Cantebury Bulldogs vs North Queensland Cowboys at Stadium Australia on 19/3/00 6,572. :clap:

Oh dear, Roosters vs Cowboys on 21/4/02 7,318. Roosters vs Raiders on 11/3/01 7,426. Vs Cowboys on 16/6/01 6,432. #-o

Melbourne Storm are here to STAY! 8)

dimitri

First Grade
There are clubs in Sydney that don't deserve a spot ahead of the CC and GC either. South Sydney being one of them. There crowds are on par with Melbourne but there results aren't and don't even start on what Melbourne brings to the NRL financially wise. Melbourne are being pro active in trying to get a base in the biggest AFL market in Australia. Souths have the biggest league market in Australia and trade with a name synonomous with Rugby League in Australia and yet for 15 years have been going around in circles and have stagnated to the point where the rest of the league world has passed them by.

agree 100%

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Big-Steve said:
Stormwarning[c said:
]
Big-Steve said:
What you guys need to understand is that clubs and fans in Sydney are still feeling the effects of the Super League War. There are issues that still need to be resolved and while you would have us all move on people simply can't let go that easerly just because some up start like Murdoch moves in. Many fans have followed their team for a number of generations

Until the NRL admitts that these issues exist and activly does something about it talk of Melbourne relocating etc will continue.

It's just the reality of the post Super League world and an administration that refuses to fix what it broke.

One thing I have learnt about issue.......no matter what you do they will always be there, no matter what. Generations pass their issue on to younger generations and the cycle just keeps going. GET OVER IT

But going from some of the posts the only way some would have you believe to fix it is to close the whole competition down......thats right, pack up your gear get your ball and go home, no more Rugby League. :? :? :cry:

:roll: That would solve all those people in Sydney that don't have any respect for the future of our great game and those who have worked and stared in the game since formation.

Now before you say anything about what would some Melbourne bloke know, my family has a long history with Parramatta and yes there was ISSUES there, but we moved on and GOT OVER IT

A lot of issues need to be fixed and some will never be, it is like two teams mergering, what do you do, follow the merge team or not follow any?

Looking at your atvar, you follow the merge team, why.......coz of the love of the game, the love of the history of your team, or for the future of the new team to keep the history of the old live on?

Either way we all have issues everyday, it is only the very few that let them fester. GET OVER IT

Firstly mate The North Sydney Bears a not merged with anyone. They were with Manly. A peculiarity of the situation lead to the Bears merging without the members voting on it and eventually it crumbled.

Following on from what you say about following at least some team - this is what the Central Coast Bears is all about for Norths people. They will have a 20% stake in it and the team will run around in their colours and emblem.

Frankly your understanding of how us Northern states feel is pathetic. And I'm not sure if there is any point in arguing with you about it. But what I am trying to put across to you is it's not simply a case of getting over it, it's about dealing with the reality that people refuse to get over it. Until someone in the administration proactively deals with the issues teams such as Melbourne are going to continue to come under scrutiny.

I'm not saying this out of spite. I'm saying this because I believe it to be the reality.

You would be better off supporting the resolution of it then we can both get on with supporting our teams.

Read my post again dill.

I said that some issue need fixing but many can't and that people need to get over it. That's life and it's only football.

I'm a paid up member of North's Central Coast, Manly, Sharks, Panthers, Cowboys, Wests and Souths League Clubs, All to show my support for the game and the clubs. I get no benefit out of it as when we travel to Sydney for games we try and catch up with friends when not going to two or three games.

My point is that many people need to look in their own back yard and wory about that before attacking a 'NEW'club who is working FRICKEN hard with very few resources to help OUR game expand around the country.

Do you know there is a whole country out here, not just the small section over a bridge?

Big-Steve

Juniors
Stormwarning[c said:
]
Big-Steve said:
Stormwarning[c said:
]
Big-Steve said:

Read my post again dill.

I said that some issue need fixing but many can't and that people need to get over it. That's life and it's only football.

I'm a paid up member of North's Central Coast, Manly, Sharks, Panthers, Cowboys, Wests and Souths League Clubs, All to show my support for the game and the clubs. I get no benefit out of it as when we travel to Sydney for games we try and catch up with friends when not going to two or three games.

My point is that many people need to look in their own back yard and wory about that before attacking a 'NEW'club who is working FRICKEN hard with very few resources to help OUR game expand around the country.

Do you know there is a whole country out here, not just the small section over a bridge?

I've read your post and my answer still stands.

It's YOUR opinion that there is no fix and YOUR uncaring reconmendation that people should "move on". The reality is people want it to be fixed and refuse to get over it.

If you want to ignore reality go ahead. But you are the dill.

And why should people "get over it" it's their counrty, their lives, why can't they have what they want. and what they believe is their right to have.

You say it's only football but to many people it was their life going to the local oval and watching 3 grades of footy. Until Stuper League came alone and sent it in a different direction.

I sugested if you supported the resolution of some of these issues it would help you out. But you've not interested.

You keep telling me you understand the issues but you keep dismissing the reality of how people fell.

I don't understand you.

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Big Steve,

Maybe you should list all the resolution YOU believe sooooooooooo many people 'in the Northern states' want fixed, if you don't think I or others know. I know many people from North's that the club is their life and WORK (not bag or fight) with people to get many things fixed in the game.

Frankly, the ARL and Ken Arthurson have more to answer than the NRL, but you wouldn't see that would you? It's the NRL fault.

What fool would sign a 15 year binding TV contract that allows the TV station dictate what, and when game will happen. Oh and the extenision part of the contract is worst.

Big-Steve

Juniors
Stormwarning[c said:
]Big Steve,

Maybe you should list all the resolution YOU believe sooooooooooo many people 'in the Northern states' want fixed, if you don't think I or others know. I know many people from North's that the club is their life and WORK (not bag or fight) with people to get many things fixed in the game.

Frankly, the ARL and Ken Arthurson have more to answer than the NRL, but you wouldn't see that would you? It's the NRL fault.

What fool would sign a 15 year binding TV contract that allows the TV station dictate what, and when game will happen. Oh and the extenision part of the contract is worst.

The ARL are 50% of the NRL they are just as much to blame as News in the current circumstances. In fact I do'nt know if you get to hear it your way but there's strong rumors that the ARL are stalling things on a decision to expand.

Did you read what I said on my other post about the an official after the game last night claming Melbourne are relocating in 3 years.

What do you reckon :x

I should say that while he was very adimate he was not an NRL/News/ARL official. He is an official with an NRL club so...

And your right the TV coverage??? But the Current NRL also stuffed up by going with the fox Pay TV deal. Yet another example why News should not own the game.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Good point Big Steve on the Fox Sports pay tv deal.

To say its not fair that Sydney has so many teams in the NRL is wrong to the point in which this is the city in where nearly 3 quarters of all rugby league supporters live (in that I mean Sydney along with Country NSW).

To relocate teams from Sydney is a no no, and so is probably relocating the Melbourne Storm to other areas due to the one fact in which who is going to support a team that has really just changed its name? You could see the results with the Northern Eagles, that was a flop and probably the worst thing could of happened to North Sydney.

To say Melbourne deserve a place over Balmain, Illawarra, Western Suburbs, St. George (who have one of the greatest histories in the game behind Souths) is silly. I know many of the fans go for the above mentioned teams joint ventures (or takeovers) but really is it the same as watching the might steelers run out onto Win Stadium, the Magpies and Balmain playing since 1908 or the mighty dragons with their proud history, I don't think so.

Rugby League is not a national game, AFL only thrives in Sydney when the Swans are winning and now with 3 losses on the trot, especially to the lowly placed Richmond it will be interesting to see their next home crowd and the interest that is shown in them.

Front-Rower

First Grade

To say its not fair that Sydney has so many teams in the NRL is wrong to the point in which this is the city in where nearly 3 quarters of all rugby league supporters live (in that I mean Sydney along with Country NSW).

To relocate teams from Sydney is a no no, and so is probably relocating the Melbourne Storm to other areas due to the one fact in which who is going to support a team that has really just changed its name? You could see the results with the Northern Eagles, that was a flop and probably the worst thing could of happened to North Sydney.

To say Melbourne deserve a place over Balmain, Illawarra, Western Suburbs, St. George (who have one of the greatest histories in the game behind Souths) is silly. I know many of the fans go for the above mentioned teams joint ventures (or takeovers) but really is it the same as watching the might steelers run out onto Win Stadium, the Magpies and Balmain playing since 1908 or the mighty dragons with their proud history, I don't think so.

Rugby League is not a national game, AFL only thrives in Sydney when the Swans are winning and now with 3 losses on the trot, especially to the lowly placed Richmond it will be interesting to see their next home crowd and the interest that is shown in them.

Front-Rower

First Grade