What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Menzies or Anasta to be 18th man

Spike

First Grade
NSW coach Phil Gould has indicated Steve Menzies and Braith Anasta are in a two-horse race to be travelling reserves for State of Origin I against Queensland.

Menzies or South Sydney captain Bryan Fletcher had been mooted as the likely 18th man, with selectors known to be keen on taking an extra back-rower to Brisbane as insurance for the injured Ben Kennedy.

But as Kennedy became a more probable than possible starter for the series opener at Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday night, Gould said he wanted a more versatile player than an out-and-out back rower to make the trip north.

And, significantly, he also aired his preference for the 18th man to come from within either of the two NSW squads that had already assembled this season.

"You're obviously looking at the utility type of player. We'll need a player who can play in the forwards and in the backs and (who) knows the system well," Gould said.

"Form this weekend could have a big bearing on that.

"There's a big focus on this weekend's round of football from a selector's point of view.

"So there'll be a couple of players out there who know they'll be in mind, so they need to perform."

Gould said the travelling reserve wouldn't necessarily be a player who had "been there, done that but (someone) who knows what we've been doing, someone who's been part of the squads we've had so far this year".

If the coach has his way, that would seem to rule out Fletcher and incumbent Test lock Scott Hill, who both missed the Blues' initial 33-man squad named in April and the reduced 25-man squad picked last month.

The Bulldogs' Willie Mason and Canberra young gun Ryan O'Hara were in both squads but have no experience playing in the backs.

Gould said Kennedy, who's been battling a left hamstring injury all week, would be given until Sunday to prove his fitness.

Ben Kennedy's coming along well so everything's on track," he said.

"He's still not certain to play but he's improving every day, so I'd say he'll have a run tomorrow morning and see how he comes back into camp on Sunday and we'll make a decision then."

Menzies, a veteran of 15 Origin games, will get his chance to impress selectors when Manly travels to Leichhardt Oval to meet Wests Tigers on Sunday.

Anasta, who was dropped from the NSW squad after game two of last year's series but all but promised the five-eighth role this year when Trent Barrett was injured, must produce the goods for the Bulldogs against the Sydney Roosters at Aussie Stadium on Friday night.

AAP

~bedsy~

First Grade
Menzies will be a good pick if Kennedy is out, but the way BK is going he could be fit in time for Origin 1 :D

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
bedsy said:
Menzies will be a good pick if Kennedy is out, but the way BK is going he could be fit in time for Origin 1 :D

Menzies all the way, he is a fantastic defender and attacker, I have yet to see him let the NSW team down, plus if he gets in he will bring experience as he will be the 2nd most capped Blues player :shock:

~bedsy~

First Grade
Mayor_Quimby said:
bedsy said:

Menzies all the way, he is a fantastic defender and attacker, I have yet to see him let the NSW team down, plus if he gets in he will bring experience as he will be the 2nd most capped Blues player :shock:
That's pretty cool :D ... yeah my bro will actually watch origin if a Manly player is in it :lol:

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
bedsy said:
Mayor_Quimby said:
bedsy said:

That's pretty cool :D ... yeah my bro will actually watch origin if a Manly player is in it :lol:

hahaha, yeah but not having any manly players in the squad means that we can put a full strength team on the weekend, when we battle with Broncos through the SOO series

Latest posts