What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Menzies resigns with Catalans

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Currently the oldest player to have player Super League and if he completes the 2013 season will move into third on the all-time top level Australian list:

Age Player Club Year 40 years and 5 days Billy Wilson North Sydney NSWRFL season 1967 39 years and 311 days Tedda Courtney Western Suburbs NSWRFL season 1924 38 years and 149 days Roy Kirkaldy Canterbury-Bankstown NSWRFL season 1948 38 years and 28 days Henry Porter Canterbury-Bankstown NSWRFL season 1948 38 years and 25 days Sandy Pearce Eastern Suburbs NSWRFL season 1921

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NSWRL/ARL/SL/NRL_records#Oldest_Players

Billythekid

First Grade
It's a shame because he had a few good years left in the NRL. He deserved to top the all time games played list.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I agree with Billy, I never really thought much of him at first, I thought all his tries and such came from cliffy. But after cliff retired I really started taking notice and without doubt he is one of the best footballers I have seen. Of the Catalans games I've been able to watch, it doesn't matter how the team is going at that time, the one thing that stands out is the quality of this player. He delivers every match.

RedVee

First Grade
yep, a real good player is Steve Menzies. I hope he continues past his 40th birthday.

Billythekid

First Grade
I agree with Billy, I never really thought much of him at first, I thought all his tries and such came from cliffy. But after cliff retired I really started taking notice and without doubt he is one of the best footballers I have seen. Of the Catalans games I've been able to watch, it doesn't matter how the team is going at that time, the one thing that stands out is the quality of this player. He delivers every match.

Vastly underated imo. One of the best defenders the game has ever seen and his try scoring ability in the 2nd row is simply amazing. I hate the Manly club but i can still recognise him as one of the all time greats.

reanimate

Bench
What's amazing is how well he's still playing. He's still hitting gaps, scoring tries and filling in at 5/8 from time to time and doing a good job of it.

slamminsam246

Juniors
Reason I started going for Manly as a kid. Bias eyes see him as the greatest forward to lace the boot. Try scorer but after Cliffy left he took his tackling to a new level. Clean, crisp and solid hits and rarely missed a tackle or had a bad game. Remember a game against the Warriors in NZ where he put a massive hit on a rookie they had coming through the ranks. Nailed him and the bloke dropped it cold. Rib rattler. Typical Beaver style. He'd still be good enough for Australian interchange in the upcoming test. If only...