What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

Mong

Post Whore
Thy art is murder have a new one coming out.. Have only heard a couple thus far which, as usual, are heavy and awesome AF :)

beave

Coach
My fave oz band at the moment. So glad CJ sorted his shit out and is back with the band. The one song I have heard from the new album is awesome.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Will be the gig of the year, I suspect. Plus they're playing a two-hour set.

And Nocturnal Graves! Going to be off the charts.

Was gig of the year for me easily, probably the best gig I've been to in the last 3-4 years. Amazing set list spanning almost their whole career and the band were in top form. Nocturnal Graves killed as well.

adamkungl

Immortal
Was gig of the year for me easily, probably the best gig I've been to in the last 3-4 years. Amazing set list spanning almost their whole career and the band were in top form. Nocturnal Graves killed as well.

I ended up going, it was great.
Missed Nocturnal Graves, I think I saw Vomitor though? The band before Primordial. didn't think much of them.

In other news... just got tickets to Wacken 2018!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I ended up going, it was great.
Missed Nocturnal Graves, I think I saw Vomitor though? The band before Primordial. didn't think much of them.

In other news... just got tickets to Wacken 2018!

Yeh Vomitor were the weakest of the three main acts. I think I took a beer and shit talking break during them. Was up the front for Primordials whole set, if you saw a big bald merkin with a beard in a hooded patch vest screaming along to everything, that was me

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Just got another cracking Aussie death metal release, Contaminated: "Final Man". Utterly raw and filthy old school stuff, for fans of Autopsy, Grave, Incantation etc.

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeh Vomitor were the weakest of the three main acts. I think I took a beer and shit talking break during them. Was up the front for Primordials whole set, if you saw a big bald merkin with a beard in a hooded patch vest screaming along to everything, that was me

I have never seen someone who looks like this at a metal gig

adamkungl

Immortal
halfway through August and I'm yet to hear any albums this year that are obvious Album of the Year material :/

Trollhammaren

Juniors
halfway through August and I'm yet to hear any albums this year that are obvious Album of the Year material :/

Lich King's new one is really top notch, if you're into frashhhh. Solstafir's new one is typically decent, but agreed, not a hell of a lot of awesome albums this year from what I've heard.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
New Ruins of Beverast album apparently ruins your beaver's ass, I haven't checked it out yet though. Other than that I'm still hammering a few 2016 releases, Khemmis and Bolzer especially

adamkungl

Immortal
Best i've heard in 2017 so far
Black Sites
Pain of Salvation
Immolation
Witherfall
Mastodon (it's by no means an amazing Mastodon album but it's a weak year so far)
Persefone
Dodecahedron
Wormwood
Havok

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Khemmis is so f**kin good

Aw yeah

jxgMPRk.jpg

perverse

Referee
81g7cgdKbQL._SY355_.jpg

I present to you the Album of the Year 2017. How can you argue with a metal opera starring:

Russell Allen (Symphony X)
Simone Simons (Epica)
Floor Jansen (Nightwish)
Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
Tobias Sammut (Edguy, Avantasia)
Tommy Kavevik (Kamelot)
James LaBrie (Dream Theater)

and more...

You can't. That's the answer. Album of the year. My favourite Ayreon cast since The Human Equation. It may be my favourite cast he's ever had.

adamkungl

Immortal
I like Ayreon for what it is, but the musical-theatre-metal is never going to be my favourite.

That said.. The Source is a great album. Dream Theater's last album attempted to do Ayreon and it was hot garbage.

perverse

Referee
I like Ayreon for what it is, but the musical-theatre-metal is never going to be my favourite.

That said.. The Source is a great album. Dream Theater's last album attempted to do Ayreon and it was hot garbage.
To be fair, your argument can be straight up made for any sub genre, depending who is talking. "I like X for what it is, but the y-genre is never going to be my favourite". I like thrash, death metal, etc for what they are, but compared to this music they feel like little curious toys to me. As far as music craftmanship and quality goes, it's hard to top this release by any metric for mine. Each to their own of course! Nothing will top that release in 2017 for me, there aren't many outfits even capable.

Yeah, I hated The Astonishing, couldn't find a single hook that got me in. I really wanted to like it, too. Dream Theater peaked around the turn of the century, really... everything since Octavarium has been varying levels of disappointing, with the odd good track here and there.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
To be fair, your argument can be straight up made for any sub genre, depending who is talking. "I like X for what it is, but the y-genre is never going to be my favourite".

Absolutely. It wasn't a criticism of Ayreon, it *is* a great album, but it's not going to top my personal year end list due to me preferring more.. direct, riffy music.

Latest posts